House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Telometer

Hedging The Value Of My Home

What products are in the market that would allow me to hedge the value of my home?

I'm not going to STR.

Why do that? We are entering an era of asset-price hyperdeflation and food price hyperinflation. You should forget about your home and hedge the fullness of your stomach instead.

renting out a room will help?

I wouldn't attempt shorting property funds/financial packages as it could all go horribly wrong, IMHO as such things are almost impossible to value...

Edited by moosetea

Why do that? We are entering an era of asset-price hyperdeflation and food price hyperinflation. You should forget about your home and hedge the fullness of your stomach instead.

Define what you mean by hyperinflation (in % per period).

What products are in the market that would allow me to hedge the value of my home?

I'm not going to STR.

Your house isn't an investment it's somewhere too live. Why are you bothered about the value of it?

I'm not going to STR.

Anyone on HPC ever RTR? Rent to Rent

Rent your current place for as much as you can get and downsize to a cheaper place. Been thinking of doing it myself, current Mortgage is 500 a month(repayment) for 4 bed semi, going rate for 4 bed seems to be 1500pcm

Now Decent 2 bed flats round here start around 600 pcm-800pcm

We don't struggle with repayments, but as a hedge if market goes either way it is tempting. Better yet move in with the in-laws for a year (Hell we'd save 6k on Childcare with that option, but would be un-comfortable as with it)

I would always play safe and try to minimise borrowings.

It is true that in an inflationary enviroment it pays to borrow and leverage your assets but if you lack substantial financial reserves rising interest rates can destroy you before the inflation eats the value of the debt capital.

In a deflationary enviroment being debt free is even more vital.

You are taking a bet on how a large part of your future is going to go and using your largest asset as a stake if you try to financially engineer your reaction to current market changes. This is not a time to try and be your own hedge fund.

...the value of a home ranges from a place to keep the rain of your head to your castle in the mentality of the land....the price on the other hand is not something which can be determined accurately, currently ....it will fluctuate down and IMHO it is best not to play around with additional risk exposure to 'hedge' an unknown figure..... :rolleyes:

I'm not going to STR.

Seems a bit crazy.

If you think its going down a little, then don't worry about it.

if you think its going down a lot, then STR, you can even rent your own house back!