House Price Crash Forum
sambino

Buy-to-let Boom May Be Stalling

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7279154.stm

The buy-to-let housing boom may be about to stall, according to a survey from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (Rics).

Its survey of residential lettings says the number of new instructions from landlords fell towards the end of 2007, for the first time since 1998.

Rics blamed recent restrictions on mortgage lending to would-be landlords.

But this contradicted recent figures from mortgage lenders, which suggested the buy-to-let market was thriving.

"Access to the buy-to-let market became harder for would-be landlords as mortgage products became scarce," said Rics.

"One per cent more chartered surveyors reported a fall than a rise in landlord instructions [in the last three months of 2007] compared to the previous quarter.

"The credit crunch has restricted the number of buy-to-let mortgages approved, as well as the number of mortgages available to investors," Rics said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7279154.stm

The buy-to-let housing boom may be about to stall, according to a survey from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (Rics).

Its survey of residential lettings says the number of new instructions from landlords fell towards the end of 2007, for the first time since 1998.

Rics blamed recent restrictions on mortgage lending to would-be landlords.

But this contradicted recent figures from mortgage lenders, which suggested the buy-to-let market was thriving.

"Access to the buy-to-let market became harder for would-be landlords as mortgage products became scarce," said Rics.

"One per cent more chartered surveyors reported a fall than a rise in landlord instructions [in the last three months of 2007] compared to the previous quarter.

"The credit crunch has restricted the number of buy-to-let mortgages approved, as well as the number of mortgages available to investors," Rics said.

heard this on the radio, yet more excuse for landlords to try to up the rents in my area

It's interesting; RICS are contradicting the CML figures. As of course they will see the work drying up faster than the mortgage lenders.

I think March 6tth marks the date that the phoney war officially ended and we started to see the slide hitting the indicators and indices.

I've always enjoyed the months of April and May the most; winter is becoming a memory and we have the hope and anticipation of a fine summer ahead.........

I've always enjoyed the months of April and May the most; winter is becoming a memory and we have the hope and anticipation of a fine summer ahead.........

It doesn't seem like we've had a winter this year. With prices dropping and my STR fund in the bank its been summer from October to March.

It doesn't seem like we've had a winter this year. With prices dropping and my STR fund in the bank its been summer from October to March.

Yes things are going too well, I always worry when things are going well. :unsure:

What a shame that when summer does come, it'll just be three months of rain...

Or was that a metaphor? :lol:

Hasn't it just?

:)