House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Another Mse Classic: I Hate Selling My House.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showth...ight=valuations

"The worst part is that we have only been on the market for 2 and a half weeks, and have had 12 viewings. Which imo, is pretty good going in this market. But I just want it over. The estate agent called this morning and for a split second I thought he was going to pass on an offer and this would all be over, but no, he was just making 2 more appointments.

I hate selling."

and

"We are in the same position, been on the mare=ket since May last year, everyone loves our house but needs to sell theirs. "

That'll be because the bottom of the housing market Pyramid is no longer being supported !!!

Wonder how the poster will feel 12 months from now?

They'd had an offer so I wonder how they will feel in 12 weeks from now when the sale has fallen through !!!

Im gonna keep an eye on that one.

Bumped into a friend of mine who is selling her 3 bed victorian semi, one viewing in 4 weeks! She said there are so many houses similar type same price and cheaper on the market at the moment.

Gosh, that must be a real problem for her, and there really are no ways round this are there?

Maybe someone here who is registered could help out on that one. ;)

And I hate that my husband works such long hours that he takes no part in the selling process. And that he is always so bloody cranky on Saturday mornings because he wants to have a lie in but can't because people are in our house.

Sounds like a right grumpy wife too. I know I'd be really happy having someone slaving away at work whilst I swanned around the house doing feck all, apart from a bit of a tidy before some peps come over to view.

Excellent. This is exactly the kind of thing everyone seems to have forgotten in the house prices always rise...it's my pension... mania - rent and you give 4 weeks notice and move on whenever you want or need to. Owning, the thing is your very own albatross until you can find a buyer, and if you can't find a buyer who'll pay more than you did, you can be stuffed. And yes, selling is hell because the place is no longer really your own, you have to keep it tidy, you have to get up in the mornings, you have people looking around all the time.

I've been saying for years that the really big problem with the crash this time will be not just the BTLers but also all those single, young professionals in their 20s who never intended to spend their entire life in that shitty ex-counil flat in a druggy area, or that too-small-to-swing-the-proverbial studio flat. Sometimes, at some points in your life, renting makes sense. It's not always just dead money. I think the generation of professionals who can no longer move for opportunities or to move on in life will be the main story of the crash, not the ruined BTLers.

Gordon Brown wants people to emigrate if they don't like it problem is at present they can't sell their houses. They get the odd viewing complain about the EA. The expect that their house should sell for the value they expect. I am afraid those days won't be around for years. Its a falling market and a long way to go and to turn around needs at least two years of confidence before it goes back up again. We all have front seats for this CRASH :lol::lol:

Guest An Bearin Bui
Excellent. This is exactly the kind of thing everyone seems to have forgotten in the house prices always rise...it's my pension... mania - rent and you give 4 weeks notice and move on whenever you want or need to. Owning, the thing is your very own albatross until you can find a buyer, and if you can't find a buyer who'll pay more than you did, you can be stuffed. And yes, selling is hell because the place is no longer really your own, you have to keep it tidy, you have to get up in the mornings, you have people looking around all the time.

I've been saying for years that the really big problem with the crash this time will be not just the BTLers but also all those single, young professionals in their 20s who never intended to spend their entire life in that shitty ex-counil flat in a druggy area, or that too-small-to-swing-the-proverbial studio flat. Sometimes, at some points in your life, renting makes sense. It's not always just dead money. I think the generation of professionals who can no longer move for opportunities or to move on in life will be the main story of the crash, not the ruined BTLers.

That's been my brief experience of home ownership so far - once you sign that mortgage contract, it's yours for the life of the mortgage term and becomes a millstone around your neck instantly. People sign up to agreements for 25, 30, 35 or more years but without the slightest intention of staying in the property for that amount of time. From my experience, I would only every sign up to a mortgage now that covers the period of time I plan to live in the property. If I'm 30, and I plan to live there till retirement then 30 years is fine. If I only have a 10 year time horizon then I should only sign a mortgage for that period. Once you have a mortgage it is the worst millstone in the world: there is literally no way out except to sell it, rent it out or pay off the mortgage, none of which are just easy options although the first two may have been for the last few years. That's unusual - most property markets are just not that fluid.

Didn't read all of the thread , it was too slow loading , but has the poster (and the other moaners) considered .....................DROPPING THE PRICE :o:o:o:o

OOOOOPS , I forgot , it's not possible , house prices ALWAYS rise etc ;)

Didn't read all of the thread , it was too slow loading , but has the poster (and the other moaners) considered .....................DROPPING THE PRICE :o:o:o:o

They needed near asking price so they could afford to move up the pyramid...they didint think to offer less. I almost wet myself when I read that bit :lol:

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
the donkey quote has made my night...cmon, which one of you was it??

:lol:

No idea.

"everyone loves our house but needs to sell theirs"

the importance of FTBs is dawning on the market, without them you basically have a big stalemate and with no more BTLs to prop up the market => hpc until FTBs can return in decent numbers

Anyone notice this bit

"Bloody hell, I think I'd have felt like running away and handing back the keys."

Methinks she may be close to repo <_<

I posted last night on MSE suggesting this exact point. I am getting quite rehearsed at this argument now. "Why don't you knock 10-15% off immediately and you might get a quick sale. If you just muck around shaving 5%, waiting 2 months, no sale, shave another 5% and so on you'll end up 30% down having successfully followed the market down into a trough - you'll never sell with small cuts as the market is falling quicker than you are discounting."

Of course the more I convince of this line of argument, the quicker the market will fall. I'd be delighted if we can do 4 years worth of slump (ie down 40%) in just 12 months.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/member.html?u=93991

Lindylou54 vbmenu_register("postmenu_8896349", true); We are in the same position, been on the mare=ket since May last year, everyone loves our house but needs to sell theirs. Completely stuck, can't move on, very stressfull. We have continued to have lots of viewings every week, at least two a week sometimes more. All very positive. Need to sell but can't move forward.

They'd had an offer so I wonder how they will feel in 12 weeks from now when the sale has fallen through !!!

Im gonna keep an eye on that one.

So did you keep an eye on it? Did you see how I felt in June when we exchanged? Or maybe how over the moon I was in July when we moved and I put my lovely big STR fund into a selection of high interest, fixed rate accounts and how the interest on the STR fund pays our rent.

Did any of you Statler and Waldorfs here consider that somebody who was able to get 14 viewings in 20 days, leading to an accepted offer, in Feb 08 knew the reality of the current market and had priced accordingly.

There is some very good information available on this website. But posters like those on this thread who have no ability to assess individual situations and judge them based on the facts of that situation. Who stick to their limited view and group everyone who does something different to them into the same group no matter what they are actually doing. Well, to be quite frank, you are as blinkered as the "prices only ever go up crowd." And it's posters like that who make people take a quick look around this site and log off dismissing everyone as cranks.

I hated selling my house because I hated having to keep it super clean and I hated having no privacy in my home. It wouldn't have mattered if I was selling at the peak or the trough, I didn't like having strangers in my home and my life on display. And if I hadn't known my market and had what was a very good price on my house I wouldn't have had so many people coming to see it. :rolleyes: I was not having difficulties paying the mortgage, I wasn't anywhere near repo, I didn't need to reduce the price because I knew what I was doing when I set it in the first place. But my neighbourhood had gone massively downhill, I didn't want to start a family there, I hated the selling process and I just wanted that phase of my life to be over so I could be on to the next phase.

Wonder how the poster will feel 12 months from now?

Thanks for the interest, I feel fuçking awesome. I love living in a lovely little house in a very nice London area for almost no rental outlay. And I love watching nice family houses fall toward a place where I expect to buy one for cash in 2011/2012 when I'll be 32/33. It fuçking rocks. :lol:

Edited by GracieP

That's been my brief experience of home ownership so far - once you sign that mortgage contract, it's yours for the life of the mortgage term and becomes a millstone around your neck instantly. People sign up to agreements for 25, 30, 35 or more years but without the slightest intention of staying in the property for that amount of time. From my experience, I would only every sign up to a mortgage now that covers the period of time I plan to live in the property. If I'm 30, and I plan to live there till retirement then 30 years is fine. If I only have a 10 year time horizon then I should only sign a mortgage for that period. Once you have a mortgage it is the worst millstone in the world: there is literally no way out except to sell it, rent it out or pay off the mortgage, none of which are just easy options although the first two may have been for the last few years. That's unusual - most property markets are just not that fluid.

I don't agree - even if you have paid off your mortgage, if you can't sell you are still stuck! We sold in Sept 08 and we had paid off mortgage, but if you don't get any offers you can't move! The only difference is that if you have paid off your mortgage you probably can be more flexible on pricing which would help you move quicker.