House Price Crash Forum
penbat1

Gold Has Just Gone Mental

Just hit record highs in the last few minutes after slump yesterday. Currently $991 and on a vertically upwards trajectory at present.

Edited by penbat1

Just hit record highs in the last few minutes after slump yesterday.

Which kind of undermines the bubble proponents and gives ever more credence to the safe haven proponents.

i dont know whats happening- the gold thread has been moved and closed? and now no one is allowed to mention gold?

what's going on?

Cripes! $1000/oz today perhaps?

Who knows........we're now in completely uncharted waters.............$40 intraday moves now seem 'normal'........how much longer before $100 intraday moves seem 'normal' and what range will we be in then?...........how much longer will physical actually be available?

These are the kind of questions I wish I had answers for.....

hold on.....the rollercoster has only just left the platform.

i dont know whats happening- the gold thread has been moved and closed? and now no one is allowed to mention gold?

what's going on?

I don't know either. If only there was a single thread dedicated to how gold is a proxy for inflation, can act as a safe haven in times of financial uncertainty, its implications for investments in general and mortgages in particular. What a resource of information that would be!

Just hit record highs in the last few minutes after slump yesterday. Currently $991 and on a vertically upwards trajectory at present.

Ask yourself who is buying all of this gold? What is it they know that the rest of you don't?

I want a correction! This isn't fair*

*Knows full well that there will be a very large one before long. Either that, or we are in the 'THIS IS IT' stage (in which case the world economy is about to enter hell).

Interesting how gold never makes the news. The most reliable indicator of inflation is goind mental and it's jsut not news. Is the media trying to protect the sheeple from the unpopular truth??

Ask yourself who is buying all of this gold? What is it they know that the rest of you don't?

They're going to maintain production of oil at current rates.

China, Russia, The Middle East BUT also other interested parties like, is is rumoured, the Carlisle Group.

I don't know either. If only there was a single thread dedicated to how gold is a proxy for inflation, can act as a safe haven in times of financial uncertainty, its implications for investments in general and mortgages in particular. What a resource of information that would be!

But wait - there is.....somewhere around here, its suddenly got a lot harder to find, and...... its been closed. furthermore lots of the people who used to post on it have disappeared- No matter, I dont think it was very popular anyway, nobody ever read it.

To be fair no-one in there knew what was happening either.

I believe OPEC were meeting today to discuss US requests for them to pump more oil. Apparently this was going to be declined although OPEC fears that oil will ultimately fall in price if the US goes into recesssion partly brought on by high oil prices.

I seem to recall a TV doc in the 90s that:

1. Pointed out that diamonds were in such abundance that they had no real value but their value was held up by 2 or 3 diamond houses who effectively control the diamond trade and keep billions of diamonds from the market.

2. There was not enough physical gold in banks around the World for all the people who actually thought they owned physical bars of gold - in other words, if all the people who believe they own a bar of gold in bank X decided to go along to get out their gold there would not be enough. Apparently this is repeated in banks the World over.

Useless yellow metal with no real use in the world suddenly costs a bit more. Who cares? Nothing to do with a discussion on house prices. Boring. move along - nothing to see here.

Gold isn't useless. It's jsut so expensive it isn't used for much. It is the most efficient conductor of heat, is completely inert and has a lot of interesting properties in nanotechnology. If Gold was as cheap as silver you would see it everywhere.