House Price Crash Forum

Edinbugh Latest

That is quality. Whoever it is should stick to comedy and not house prices. :lol:

You know this whole excitement over this one figure supports what I have been thinking even more. Remember last month when Edinburgh showed a 13.5% YoY drop ? No ? Either do I. Was it even mentioned on here with any great excitement ?

It was just some monthly figure. Just the same as this month. Yet actually over twice as much. I certainly didn't think about doing some Youtube about it.

Still makes me laugh watching it.

Ironically it looks as if there has actually been little change in the average price between july and august.

Shame really. Would have been much funnier if the vid had actually had some satirical bite.

Equally ironically, the videos creator bought just weeks from peak in his neck of the woods.

But I'm sure it would be just too difficuly to parody that decision. :rolleyes:

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening News: Brewery site rethink on the cards as new flats fail to sell.

THE consortium behind the massive regeneration of part of the former Fountain Brewery is set to go back to the drawing board after selling just one flat in four months.

The first batch of completed flats in the Springside development were brought on to the market at a glitzy launch event in April.

Since then, only one has been sold and developers have been forced to reduce prices by up to £20,000 as dozens of homes lie empty.

The Springside consortium today insisted that it will continue to develop the site but says it is now in discussions with planners about how it can alter the central part of the site, which was to include hundreds more flats.

Of the initial 58 homes built, 17 were sold off-plan during a one-off marketing day in February 2008.

But since the flats were completed in April 2009, only one more has sold, leaving 40 empty.

I thought that the Edinburgh property market had turned the corner.

Edit. It turns out that we had a thread about this development back in February 2008, based on an EN story telling us that "STUDENTS have been recruited to camp outside a city estate agents as investors from England and Ireland look to beat first-time buyers to new flats" (link). I bet those investors are feeling pretty pleased with themselves today.

Edited by Scunnered

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This site has been a hot topic for me for a while, I would like to see some of the old comments sections on the Scotsman where I (and others - probably ccc) was pointing out how overpriced all that development was. I remember all the rubbish about the students being paid to camp out for them too.

I even had a debate with someone who worked for one of the contrators a few months back who assured me they were well worth the asking prices I had to just agree in the end as they were not even listening to my points.

This site has been a hot topic for me for a while, I would like to see some of the old comments sections on the Scotsman where I (and others - probably ccc) was pointing out how overpriced all that development was. I remember all the rubbish about the students being paid to camp out for them too.

The camping out thing was 18 months ago. You really have to wait a long time for vindication in this game.

I even had a debate with someone who worked for one of the contrators a few months back who assured me they were well worth the asking prices I had to just agree in the end as they were not even listening to my points.

I think these were the ones where the developer thought he was building 'affordable' housing ? Yet the prices were crazy like 250k for a 2 bed flat or something ? I will try and dig it up. The prices they were looking for were mental - so only taking 20k off up to this point is even more mental IMO.

The delusion in Edinburgh continues. I do wonder if it will just slide away gradually or just collapse like a dam bursting ? Would be interesting to see if option 2 comes in.

I Was searching the ESPC Tonight when i came across this limelight featured property anyone got any ideas what this is all about i have never seen this before http://www.espc.com/UniversalPages/Detaile...s.html?Page=120

If you've got a long list of properties, say you've displayed everything in East Edinburgh, for instance, the limelight ones are bordered in green, rather than blue, so's they stand out.

Since your link didn't work, I'm guessing this was your query.....

If you've got a long list of properties, say you've displayed everything in East Edinburgh, for instance, the limelight ones are bordered in green, rather than blue, so's they stand out.

Since your link didn't work, I'm guessing this was your query.....

Thank you i was wondering what that was

Edited by dunedin

Few stories inthe Hootsman today.

First relating to commercial property but I though it was still interesting.

Big property deals offer Capital hopes of recovery

So two companies are selling up in the City, for far less than they would have received a few years ago. At the same time two companies are buying in the City, for far less than they would have paid a few years ago.

Why is this a sign of recovery ?

Next story:

Route to Recovery - The experts

Now seems the ESPC and Savills expect the recovery in Edinburgh to be delayed until 2011. Very strange considering all the recent press.

Latest comedy article from the Scotsman with a helping hand from that likeable chap DJ.

Scotsman Comedy

"The number of new property rentals achieved in the three months to the end of August by DJ Alexander, a letting agency which operates in Edinburgh and Glasgow, was 648.

Monthly average lettings by the Edinburgh office for June, July and August topped the 150 mark, while in August the smaller Glasgow operation secured its best ever monthly total with 70 lettings.

According to owner David Alexander, the figures not only show that the letting market remains buoyant but they also hint at wider economic trends."

What do these numbers mean ? Any background ? Any comparison to previous years ? Of course not...

"As for the buoyant lower end of the market, Alexander said that average monthly rentals on new leases signed in June, July and August, were £808, compared with £892 in the same period last year. But he said it would be a mistake to infer from this that rentals are getting cheaper. Instead, smaller, and therefore less expensive, properties are becoming a larger proportion of all letting."

Ah I see !! So when prices are rising, the average means everything. However when prices fall ? Of course the average doesn't mean anything !! So simple. I am so stupid for having thought otherwise.

"The firm put a four-bedroom townhouse in Edinburgh's New Town on the rental market at 2pm on Tuesday at a rental of £1,800 a month and it was let within two hours."

Great example !! I am sure this is indicative of all normal transactions in the Edinbirgh rental market. Any mention of the 10 flats I could show, off the top of my head, that DJ has been trying unsuccessfully to rent for anything between 6 months and 1 year ? Ah - of course not.

This article is yet another advert. It should therefore be labelled as such.

Edited by ccc
:(

It's been a bit quiet here recently. It was much livelier when we had Hamish regularly rubbing us up the wrong way.

Hamish was/is an imbicile.

Theres not an awful lot to discuss. We can watch the stats and read the analysis and wait and see.

And decide when/if we might consider jumping in.

The boorish gloating and ring puckered whining of a lone tosser from Aberdeen is neither here nor there.

Edited by geneer
There is nothing to stop him posting on here - he flounced off. If you read some of his posts on MSE (where some posters are offering inducements for HPC to take him back)

Are they going to pay us?

then you can see he was just a pompous troll who enjoyed winding people up.

Oh, I know that.