House Price Crash Forum

Edinbugh Latest

roblpm

HOLA441

Parks are great, dog owners that use them - less so. Stick to the paths and keep your eyes on the ground you are stepping on. That advice goes for the whole of Leith in my opinion (and abundant experience).

Yes, very true. Especially also in Leith there is a lot of people who think they can care for a dog while they cannot even take care of themselves.

Edited by Silverfinger

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Public toilets could be transformed into cafes, wine bars

TEN public toilets which were closed to save £300,000 are to be sold off, the Evening News has learned.

Property experts said large, prominently located conveniences could fetch up to £200,000 on the open market.

Confirmation of the sale has raised the prospect of loos being converted into homes, cafes, restaurants and wine bars.

David Alexander, of estate agents DJ Alexander, said: “The Earthy Cafe in Canonmills as it stands would have been worth maybe half a million pounds, I’d have thought.

“So I think the toilet in Canonmills would be worth anything up to around £200,000. That would not surprise me at all.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/politics/public-toilets-could-be-transformed-into-cafes-wine-bars-1-4077703

£200,000 to live in a public toilet? Where do I sign?

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA443
HOLA444

Where the heck is a public toilet in Canonmills? I have noticed one. Wouldn't you rather go to the Royal Botanic Garden, or the Tesco? EDIT: On second thought, does the Tesco have one? Don't remeber.

Edited by Silverfinger

HOLA445
HOLA446

Let's face it, this is Edinburgh not London, and even though things have got a bit mad I'd doubt anyone will be paying much to convert these as residences. Maybe some small cafes, but they won't come near 200000.

HOLA447
HOLA448

https://espc.com/news/espc-house-price-report-infographic-march-2016

Some rather large drops from all over the region. https://espc.com/news/espc-house-price-report-march-2016%20%20Its''>https://espc.com/news/espc-house-price-report-march-2016%20%20Its' title="" rel="external nofollow">

https://espc.com/news/espc-house-price-report-march-2016

Its all rather strange - I have seen a lot of flats selling very quickly - no doubt due to the April deadline - and I know a fair few people who have finally decided this is the time to buy. I also see a general lifting of asking prices in a few areas I keep a track on - however many people also seem to agree the market is totally over heated and due a bit of a collapse.

All rather confused.

Edited by ccc

• 1 month later...
HOLA449
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4410

I just sold the Edinburgh flat I bought in 2010. As this market has been flat or only rising very slowly the last 5 years, I thought it would be a good point to sell despite the EU vote. I recorded prices travelling up from last September and really going up from this February.

According to my solicitor it’s partly about btl-ers hoovering up supply before the tax changes, leaving ftbs with less choice and partly about a ftb buying spree and “supply”, whatever that means. We have been back on the old blind bids system.

All my viewers (although not all the bidders, three of whom were ‘commercial buyers’) were ftbs, young professional couples and singles in their late 20s-ish, with biggish deposits (so they said), confident of mortgages, all complaining about how many times they had been outbid on other properties and determined to buy old tenement properties in nice but unfashionable areas because the fashionable ones are saturated.

My sold price was 30% up on the 2010 price and eventual ft buyers paid well over HR valuation and I’ve heard the same story from the other Edinburgh buyers / sellers I’ve talked to this year. But there is a strong local effect at work (Central Edinburgh, Victorian tenement properties, specific locations) and it’s anyone’s guess how long the momentum will last.

In the very immediate area, all the tenement properties which went on at the same time as mine seem to have sold too and, interestingly, the ones with extra bedrooms created by / for landlords are no longer selling for a higher price, lower in some cases in fact. New-build (2006) doocot flats a few streets away were also not so hot. We are still in the summer / school holiday hiatus so it won’t really be apparent until Sept ESPC listings what has happened re asking prices.

My solicitor said they had several EU nationality clients pull abruptly out of sales on Brexit but dollar clients came in to buy.

All anecdotal. It will be interesting to see what happens post Brexit, with all its Scottish complications. Although IMPO #Indyref2 is now less attractive, Nats at my workplace still talking the talk but looking miserable.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4411

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/population-boom-sees-edinburgh-set-to-overtake-glasgow-1-4199972

"In the last three years, 34,600 new workers registered to work in Edinburgh from overseas"

No idea how they come to these figures - but they are ******ing staggering. No wonder I feel walking about that I live in another country. And these are official figures - reality could be double that. Its ridiculous.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4414

I don't have the time to do a sold prices survey but my impression is that Edinburgh is generally booming, with some exceptions in the crappy pre-'08 newbuild flats and grim estates.

If you look around you can see the money sloshing about in the capital right now, and there's frantic development within Edinburgh - massive increase in student accommodation and care home complexes included - but it's also spilling over. Into East Lothian, there are about 8 or 9 new housing developments ongoing and a lot more slated, commuter spillover. If you look at a once-sleepy peripheral area like Portobello, it's been truffle-hounded by the middle classes until you can't afford a terraced maisonette (or 'upper / lower villa' as they like to call them) without about 250k in your pocket.

I was in Dublin recently and that was hit way harder than Edinburgh by recession, but you can see some of the same signs there now.

HOLA4415

I definitely wouldn't say 'booming' from where I look. Much busier than it has been for years - that is for sure. Especially for central places where I imagine many think they can rent out as airbnb or holiday rentals etc..

Nice family homes in nice areas and all. The usual. But these are always popular. Even in the 'dead' years of 2009-2013.

The more 'standard' areas look like a fairly 'normal' market if there is such a thing.

Lets take our old favourite Gorgie - still a large number of 1 bedders available for around 100k.

Edited by ccc

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I think you're talking about Leith.

And these stats are pretty meaningless compared back to 2008 anyway - as the areas included have been extended to include a few much nicer locations.

If you look on ESPC - you can still have your pick of flats around 100k. Very far from 2008 prices where they actually were on average about 130k. Definitely above the 80-90k they were sitting at around 2010-2013 though.

HOLA4418

And these stats are pretty meaningless compared back to 2008 anyway- as the areas included have been extended to include a few much nicer locations.

That's a bit of a con isn't it. ESPC used to have historical data on so many specific house types that was almost unprecedented in detail and now they go and ruin it?

HOLA4419

Yep - almost as if it were on purpose a few years ago to make the prices seem not as low as they were ! Pilrig and Bonnington are far more pleasant and desirable areas than Leith Walk and Easter Road.

HOLA4420

Into East Lothian, there are about 8 or 9 new housing developments ongoing and a lot more slated, commuter spillover.

Yes, there seem to be tons of big developments in the Penicuik-Dalkeith area. I suspect most of the occupants are going to want to drive everywhere, so it should be fun on the roads...

HOLA4421

No, fair enough booming isn't quite the right word. But something is pushing activity and prices up. I think pre 2008 I was seeing a more uniform market with everything rising no matter how crappy whereas now it's more discriminating. I wonder if there really is less gung-ho landlordism.

Yes they'll all be driving in from the 'Greater Edinburgh'connurbation soon.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425