• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Such as?

No, I've changed my mind, sorry.

The UK is the centre of the universe.

It's the best place in the world to live.

All others are foreign & full of untrustworthy people who don't even speak English!

Believe me, there is nowhere on this tiny planet where you can buy a wooded hillside for four figs. with a river at the bottom (& river rights), put a caravan on it & live a simple meaningful (warm) existence without being told 'you can't park 'ere'. Nowhere. OK?

Rant Over.

Edited by Laura

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
You've definitely asked at the right place; several regular posters here have places up in the Montana hills where they've dug bunkers full of baked beans tins and shotgun shells.

Lets hope you never need to find out if the shotguns are empty or not !

Nothing wrong with keeping some emergency food put by as they will tell you in Burma, China, Zimbarwi and thats just in the last year

Does your crystall ball predict the out come of Peak Oil, $USD droping 50%, Massive Western Debt, India/China/Russia becoming power house of the world or indeed H5N1, C-Diff, MRSA or can these bugs not mutate and spread between people in the street.

Don't tell me your name is Jesus i bet :lol:

Edited by Justice

HOLA446
HOLA447
you mean before the onset of largely distorted media reports about kiddly fiddlers which sell papers.

while everythings more or less as dangerous or not dangerous as before.

id sell it for lump wood.

£3 a bag to all comers.

yeah, in barbados. not in nutty wood. nr lancaster or something.

theres probably not even a road to it.

i own my car. i could light a fire in it too

i do. i walk for free in the lakes.

but when i part with 5k, i either want 5k's worth of use, or a return.

at the end of your posts mostly.

i dont know about this. ive enough just trying to save for a house. im not sure if i want this.

i think i might pay 5k and lose 4k of it very quickly on a bunch of woodlice under a dead limb.

those woodlice might cost me a pound each !!

can you off road 4x4s on woodland like this ?

or let off fireworks ?

shoot squirrels ?

if you can then im back on side !!

can you chase down squirrels on 4x4 quad bikes while letting off fireworks.

even better.

can you farm magic mushrooms and sell them outside schools as magic sweets ?

would it be possible to plant cannabis on the site and sell it for distribution to essex gypsies ?

You sound exactly the kind of person I am trying to avoid when I sit in my wood...

HOLA448
Are there woods in Portugal. I think I might buy one and hide there...it seems easier!

More than a few woods.

Though I hate to break the news........a 4wd is de rigeur

We just did a UK Fly2Buy to get another, sorry.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
  • 5 months later...
HOLA4411
BUT if you really do own some woodland, here are some things you can do with it:

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/owning-a-wood/w...-activities.php

I believe there are some arcane restirctions on how much wood you can chop down - you can't simply level an area of woodland and plant wheat, for example - you can only remove so many cubic metres of wood per year, or something - but it's not terribly limiting.

Unless you're getting serious with a chainsaw then the limits aren't a problem. The details are here: http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-5yqkwn

Basically, you need no licence for trees under 8cm diameter (measured at 1.3m height), or 10cm if thinning, or 15cm if coppicing. Above that you can still fell 5 cubic metres every calendar quarter, as long as you only sell up to 2 cubic metres.

For our felling last winter we had a license, as we thinned some oak as well as cutting coppice. This winter, we're just coppicing, and split between our land and 3 neighbours, so we're well under the limits and don't need a licence (best to check this with the FC though).

There's info on the work we've been doing on our blog: http://peplers.blogspot.com/

Edited by mikepepler

HOLA4412

I don't think its strange, i've always dreamed of my own orchard, few pigs running about...or a small woods...

Not in a Tin Foil Hat way, but i think we look around now and see, a lot of things we spend money on are actually, a waste of money...we fritter away any chance of freedom on buying total guff, and "sustaining a lifestyle" - though all that lifestyle does is syphon what money we do have ever upwards, away from us...

I don't know, things like buying DVDs, going to restaurants, fashion, plasma screens etc - getting the latest car, even going to the pub where your barred from smoking and watched on CCTV... these things to me don't really add to quality of life...

I think we see more and more - MOney isnt really real, so what is? Time, good food, company, wine, space, freedom to make noise if you want to... projects that involve you, creating something you are proud of...

I dont see much of this on offer in the modern world..

Strange thinking, just like my parents, except they did it 40 years ago (threat of nukes, oil shock etc). And guess what? Nothing serious happened. You relly need to get out more (to other countries) and see how the rest of the world lives. No matter how hard done by everyone on here thinks they are, in reality we are very near the top in the world in terms of power, wealth, resourcefulness, technology, innovation. Many other countries will suffer serious hardship/ large population declines before we need to be seriously worried about food supply.

HOLA4413
[i don't know that I'm posting this in the right place, but couldn't really think of anywhere better. Feel free to move it to a more appropriate sub-forum if you can think of a more suitable one.]

I've recently been contemplating buying some woodland. Partly, I like the idea of having a little bit (maybe an acre or three) of my own woodland just for recreational purposes -- a bit of camping or getting away from the proverbial 'all'. :)

I'm not really considering it as an investment, although I would quite like the money to do at least as well as I might be able to do from a bank account, i.e. to net at least, say, 5%.

Does anyone have any views on owning woodland, either as a life-enrichment exercise or as a (modest) investment?

Thanks in advance!

I've recently won a sealed bid on 11 acres of farmland, including an acre of woods.

I wanted the land because it's only one field away from the land we already occupy. The problem with land is you can't move it. So if you want it because of its location you will have to bid against the people who want it for investment or recreational purposes. Fortunately, the desire of those people is reflected in their bids. Land prices will fall if Jim Rogers turns out to be wrong about the comms boom. I paid £4k per acre and I'm happy with the price and not to be so long on cash.

HOLA4414
I think we see more and more - MOney isnt really real, so what is? Time, good food, company, wine, space, freedom to make noise if you want to... projects that involve you, creating something you are proud of...

I dont see much of this on offer in the modern world..

Have you read Driving Over Lemons (and the two sequels) by Chris Stewart?

There are parts of the world, accessible to Brits, where such a life is still possible.

HOLA4415

Yes I read the book, the first one..

a while ago...But never considered doing anything like that before, not seriously..

don't have much cash, but reckon for the price of a small 2nd hand car here, a bit of land, a stream a few trees...

might be better off having something like that than leaving it in the bank..

looks lke can put caravan/cabin etc there with no grief...

looks like some like minded people live up there too...

by time look at language and investigate more the central area prices will have tumbled more...

Have you got any good info on it all.. you can PM if like...

Have you read Driving Over Lemons (and the two sequels) by Chris Stewart?

There are parts of the world, accessible to Brits, where such a life is still possible.

HOLA4416
Slightly related - does anyone on here have any idea where agricultural land prices will go? Do you think they will follow house prices down or will they be more resilient?

Times are hard for farmers - pig, dairy and beef farmers are producing their products at a loss. Many are over-borrowed, too.

I'd be interested to hear any opinions, especially from anyone who is involved in agriculture in some way.

Edited for typo.

Not a Farmer but sell construction products for building which include GPs etc

Prices have been going up for some time and have recently prices have started to quicken.

Prices vary with type, usage and location. Good arable and pasture have increased the most.

Woodland has restrictions thus the lower price especially in poor locations with difficult access or where there are easements.