House Price Crash Forum
Wait & See

Mortgage Fraud Funding Terrorism,

Mortgage Fraud Funds Terroism

“While there is no evidence to suggest mortgage fraud directly funds terrorist acts, this area of criminality has been encountered during investigations into UK-based terrorist groups,” it said. “Mortgage fraud can be used to finance infrastructure including safe houses.”
The buy-to-let market is particularly vulnerable to mortgage fraud, whether through new-build apartment complexes or large-scale renovation projects. In January, a High Court judge ruled that a former head of valuations at a subsidiary company of the troubled property services company Erinaceous was liable for an £11.5 million mortgage fraud after he overvalued a property.
“Organised mortgage fraud can take many forms and, while difficult to measure accurately, remains a significant element of the UK’s annual fraud losses . . . Long gone is the notion that fraud is a victimless crime.”

The victims being decent families and FTB's.

Many new prisons will be needed to hold the thousands that are going to get convicted over the next few years.

The important thing is to instill fear into the population.

Don't query what the government is doing about the economy. They are protecting you from the terrorists.

I have no doubt that there are terrorists that wish to damage us but there is something totalitarian about blaming all the ills of the country on the terrorists.

p-o-p

Good point POP. We know the situation in the housing market and wider financial sector has got really bad when the government start linking it to terrorism. Next they'll be trying to blame bin Laden for negitive equity.

I was wondering when Al Qaeda would be blamed for this.

It's that dastardly Khalid Sheik Mohammed that was not only responsible for "9/11", but binge drinking, mortgage fraud, never finding your socks in pairs and New Coke.

How bankrupt can the Government and their police lackies possibly get? I still think we ain't seen the bottom.

I have no doubt that there are terrorists that wish to damage us but there is something totalitarian about blaming all the ills of the country on the terrorists.

In order to perpetuate abuse against the populus through erosion of civil liberties and other acts of obvious treason you must invent a undetermined enemy or a perpetual warfare as a vehicle for this, in this case the "terrorist" is the scapegoat and will allow those in a goverment position to justify any law they see fit to force upon you, after all, if you start to question the erosion of your freedoms then you surely must side with the terrorists, the phrase " If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" is a good example of this mindset.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_war

By artificially creating fear and hate of an enemy, the actual existence of which is never made completely certain, the governments provided an excuse for their failures and, in the case of Oceania, enforced obedience to Big Brother. Moreover, eternal war formed the bedrock of the economy, as people could be kept busy manufacturing goods that would not improve their living standards, but would instead be destroyed on the battlefields. Thus perpetual war not only kept the population busy, it also encouraged a "siege mentality" in which hatred of the enemy and love for the government's protection were social norms.

Don't query what the government is doing about the economy. They are protecting you from the terrorists.

p-o-p

I'm not sure who the terrorists are at the moment. The incompetents that drove a Mercedes estate into a (too) narrow airport door, or the bunch that allowed the biggest speculative boom ever (post tulip) to get completely out of hand. Who has done the most long term damage?

Good point POP. We know the situation in the housing market and wider financial sector has got really bad when the government start linking it to terrorism. Next they'll be trying to blame bin Laden for negitive equity.

:P:lol::P

Just curiosity - if the terrorists have moved on to mortgage fraud, is video piracy a safe area of crime again now? If not, they seem to be muscling in everywhere.

"The Antiques Roadshow Funds Terrorism!" Did you know that everything that turns up at auctions and car boot sales might not be legitimate? A proportion of goods for sale may have been stolen. This funds terrorism.

"Ebay Funds Terrorism!" Did you know that some items on Ebay may not be what they seem? There have been instances of cons on Ebay. These cons might divert funding to terrorist organisations.

"Banking Funds Terrorism!" Did you know that wealthy individuals from abroad invest in UK banking? Some of these wealthy individuals make donations to charitable and religious organisations that perceive the Western world to be corrupt. In turn, some of these organisations teach people that the West is evil. Some of these people progress to being terrorists.

I'm no expert in this but mortgage fraud shouts "West Africa" at me. Banking profit says quietly "Middle East". Insofar as we fund terrorism against ourselves indirectly, I would guess that more of it is funded by banking profits than mortgage fraud.

p-o-p

p-o-p

It's just a distraction - bread and circuses.

No sh it sherlock, fraud - credit card historically has always been the drug of choice for terrorists, mortgage fraud has just made it a whole lot bigger and easier.