House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jonnybegood

Amongst All The Doom And Gloom

Even though many are pointing towards a gloomy few years ahead there have been some announcements made in Wales this week which should bring a bit of relief for local communities.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/7276958.stm

500 jobs with pre-fab homes plant - Up to 500 jobs will be created at Neath Port Talbot if plans are approved for a factory making pre-fabricated homes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/7276625.stm

Car maker invests £88m on Deeside - Car maker Toyota has announced an £88m investment at its Flintshire plant, where its new NR engine will be built alongside its ZR engine.
The firm invested what was thought to be £100m at the plant last year.

That went towards building a petrol engine for its new Auris model and was credited with safeguarding nearly 200 jobs at the plant.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7272475.stm

More jobs 'likely' at wings plant - More jobs are expected to be created at Airbus's Flintshire plant after the company struck a £20bn contract with the US Air Force.
The future of the plant's current 7,400 staff was secured with the announcement that they will build wings for a fleet of 179 in-flight refuelling aircraft.
Thousands of British aviation jobs are to be safeguarded over the next 15 years by a £20bn contract from the US Air Force, Airbus owner EADS has said.

And the wider picture looks pretty good from Cisco with a positive outlook ahead

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=new...id=aDyxGXo4mdFA

Cisco's Chambers `Comfortable' With Long-Term Growth (Update3)

By Matthew R. Miller

March 4 (Bloomberg) -- Cisco Systems Inc. Chief Executive Officer John Chambers said he's more comfortable with his company's long-term growth prospects than he was last month, when his quarterly sales forecast missed analysts' estimates.

The biggest maker of network equipment may hit some ``shallow'' bumps in the next two to five quarters, Chambers said today at the Morgan Stanley Technology Conference in Dana Point, California. The San Jose, California-based company also plans more acquisitions, he said.

Cisco disappointed investors with its last two quarterly forecasts, spurring concern that a slowing economy is hurting demand for networking equipment. While Chambers didn't raise his forecast today, he expects longer-term growth to rebound.

``I'm more comfortable with 12 percent to 17 percent long- term growth than I was a month or two ago,'' said Chambers, 58. Last month, Cisco said it expected sales this quarter to grow 10 percent, trailing the average analyst projection of 15 percent.

My company haven't seen its Cisco Sales volume drop at all. In fact last year was a record breaking year. I am Cisco CCIE Consultant and my company has sold tens of millions of pounds of Cisco equipment over the past year without sales volume dropping.

What is the point of this thread? There is no place for this sort of Pollyanna nonsense on HPC. :angry:

Well in that case 50% of the postings on here should be removed, when Gold , Oil , Stock markets etc are mentioned.

I am pointing out that compared to the time of the last crash the economy is not in that bad a shape this time around, jobs are being created or safeguarded reducing the chances of repos and wider economic meltdown.

Also read today that wage inflation is running at 3.6% in public sector and 3.7% in the private before bonuses and unemployment is down.

If its not what you want to hear then sorry but its fact.........

I like your style, Jonnnybegood, posting good news here.

Much as I enjoy reading (and agree with) the majority of threads on HPC it's cool to be jolted by a story not associated with economic meltdown.

Edited by Starcrossed

On the other hand JCB announced that jobs could be lost at their plant in Wrexham due to 'softening demand'.

Now this would seem directly relevant as it points to a slowdown in contruction work.

JCB warns factory jobs could go

Jobs could be lost at the JCB Transmissions plant in Wrexham, the company has revealed.

A spokesman said trade union officials were engaged in a 30-day consultation period which "unfortunately may result in a small number of redundancies".

The factory employs 600 people, making axles, gearboxes and engine components for JCB excavators and other machines.

But the firm, one of the town's biggest employers, said it was "realigning" production due to "softened" demand.

The factory received the Queen's Award for Enterprise last year, to mark its growth in exports.

In other words, less JCB work, less newbuilds.