House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Beggar Thy Children

Hatfield, Hertfordshire - Mass Exodus From Student Housing

I don't actually live in Hatfield any more, but I went to university there a few years back.

Been tracking the area on Rightmove with property bee and the sheer number of student properties listed is astounding, probably between a third to a half of all properties either explicity mention 'currently let to students' or says as much between the lines or I recognise them as student houses that my mates used to live in.

Prices seem to be getting nibbled at week by week too.

Seems like the student landlords in the area have seen the writing on the wall (and I dont mean in the literal sense inside their grotty houses) :ph34r:

I don't actually live in Hatfield any more, but I went to university there a few years back.

Been tracking the area on Rightmove with property bee and the sheer number of student properties listed is astounding, probably between a third to a half of all properties either explicity mention 'currently let to students' or says as much between the lines or I recognise them as student houses that my mates used to live in.

Prices seem to be getting nibbled at week by week too.

Seems like the student landlords in the area have seen the writing on the wall (and I dont mean in the literal sense inside their grotty houses) :ph34r:

Being in student housing myself, I reckon there's a time limit after which landlords get pissed off with the demands of the student market and decide to settle for a quieter life. About 8 - 10 years, or 2 consecutive years of a bad lots is my estimate. Got pretty narked last week when one (first-year) texted with a demand that we come round and change her light-bulb!

There is over-supply in a lot of areas - we considered Nottingham when our darling daughter went ther 4 years ago, but took one look at all the "To Let" signs and beat a hasty retreat.

Being in student housing myself, I reckon there's a time limit after which landlords get pissed off with the demands of the student market and decide to settle for a quieter life. About 8 - 10 years, or 2 consecutive years of a bad lots is my estimate. Got pretty narked last week when one (first-year) texted with a demand that we come round and change her light-bulb!

I get stuff like this from some of our student tenants! You would think that some of them - their parents must have done everything for them including wiping their backsides - right until they left home.

I now supply a list of what is and is not "included" and lightbulb-changing specifically isn't!