House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Richard John

"no Sharers"

I'm currently looking for somewhere to live with a friend. I've seen "no sharers" on ads a few times. What exactly does this mean? Single people/couples only?

If it is, what's the reasoning behind it, and do landlords really expect people to leave a room vacant (or even 2 rooms on some ads)?

I'm currently looking for somewhere to live with a friend. I've seen "no sharers" on ads a few times. What exactly does this mean? Single people/couples only?

If it is, what's the reasoning behind it, and do landlords really expect people to leave a room vacant (or even 2 rooms on some ads)?

I suspect they may have bad experiences with people who share and assume that they are less likely to be model renters - staying for ages, paying rent on time and not burning furniture.

They would be happy if you both people signed an AST so that you and your friend are "joint and severably liable" i.e. if one of you does a runner the other is liable, otherwise it is separate contracts potentially making the property a "multi occupancy" which is mega regulated or a lodging arrangement which is totally unregulated.

The LL wants to be protected and sharers have reputation for dodging liability. If you are happy to share with friend for the duration of the contract and you trust each other then sign a regular joint and severably liable AST and you will have little aversion to sharing...

It is more likely to be the dodgy reputation of sharers, I remember sharing flats in my twenties and I also remember the parties we had, the spilt beer the fag burns etc. !!!! (I even woke up one morning to find half of the band "Dodgy" crashed on my floor before they were famous, one of the them had picked up my flatmate)

Secondly don't forget that some renters may be an obviously alien concept called a family (ever wondered where you came from?)... so no LL's don't expect you to have vacant rooms, they would reasonably expect families to put children in them :blink:

To answer my own question, I think it's because it is 2 or more households, meaning that it's classed as an HMO and the landlord needs a licence.

HMO???? :huh:

To answer my own question, I think it's because it is 2 or more households, meaning that it's classed as an HMO and the landlord needs a licence.

Two-person households are specifically excluded from the HMO (Houses in Multiple Occupation) legislation - inevitably with some twiddly bits, like was it a post 1991 conversion (tighter builing regs) and how many flats in the building are owner occupied (trust me, you don't want to know at this stage.)

Essentially it is, as stated above, because of the difficulty of apportioning blame for damage. The usual line (as adopted by Universities when they let houses out) is that you are responsible for damage to your bedroom and damage to communal areas is split equally. However, Unis have means of making their students pay up (like not letting them sit their exams, or withholding results) not available to ordinary landlords, so most landlords prefer established couples/ families (who are also less likely to throw loud, messy parties.)

Signing a joint & several contract may help, but lots of landlords have had bad experiences & just won't let to sharers at any price.

Edited by cartimandua51

House in multiple occupation. Many types need to be licensed by the council / subject to fire authority regulations.

oknoprobs.gif