House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Cage

Cake Company Fails In Noise Case

Hadn't seen this posted.

Memory Lane Cakes, which has operated at Maes y Coed

Road since the 1940s, was served with a noise abatement notice by

Cardiff Council in August last year, the court heard. It followed complaints

from residents at a new development of apartments on the site of a former munitions factory.

...said the £50,000 cost of complying would "seriously impact" its ability

to continue operating at its site at Heath, Cardiff. It said it was unfair it had to

cut noise for new residents on what had been an industrial estate for decades.

The developers have built stacked rabbit hutches with little to no soundproofing on

an industrial estate on the former site of a munitions factory, wtf do they expect to happen?.

Should the company keep it quiet after they demolished the old factories to build more flats.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7277490.stm

You can see to the north of the factory where the compaliners would live.

http://maps.live.com/?v=2&where1=CF14%...m&encType=1

Memory lane are big company...they based in Cardiff but make all those novelty cakes that appear in supermarkets throughout country. Boss was on telly here a few weeks ago bemoaning that all the locals were bone idle benefits junkies and the polish/latvian immigrants so infinitely better workers.

So rather than enforce their own planning conditions (which apparently were drafted so as to avoid this problem) they are penalising the company :(

Still, we can live in hope that the people in the new builds are all on IO lie-to-buy mortgages and will come a cropper. And when they go out to look for a second job to make ends meet all the local industry will have closed down because of their ex-post-facto NIMBY whining.

Edited by huw

So rather than enforce their own planning conditions (which apparently were drafted so as to avoid this problem) they are penalising the company :(

Still, we can live in hope that the people in the new builds are all on IO lie-to-buy mortgages and will come a cropper. And when they go out to look for a second job to make ends meet all the local industry will have closed down because of their ex-post-facto NIMBY whining.

This happens time and time again. Developer proposes housing close to industrial development. Businesses and environmental health object - invariably on the basis that site unsuitable for housing. Despite this tosspot planners recommend approval with some unenforceable conditions. Permission granted by tosspot planning committee (councillors).

3 months later environmental health duty bound to investigate noise complaints under nuisance law - if noise a statutory nuisance - duty bound to serve abatement notices. In nuisance law - who was there first is irrelevant.

portal-cake-lie.gif

The cake is NOT a lie...

Best end credits on a game. :rolleyes: btw - if you haven't finished it but plan to, don't watch the link ;)

Edited by RichB

the icing on the cake is that Eastern Europeans are brought in to do the work cheaper

Whilst all the local doughnuts do nothing and just collect there benefits .

Seems to me that the town is full of spongers, and the icing on the cake is that Eastern Europeans are brought in to do the work cheaper, and better.

Oh they'll be cheaper for sure.

But if we ignore for a moment your irrational wishes for the demise of jobs for many of your fellow countrymen, can we not argue that your boss could just as easily bring someone in to do your job cheaper?

And though it's usually the exception, I suspect that in your case, it probably will be a damn sight better!

I look forward to tearing apart your "I've got a degree and I work in IT" reasons why you believe that it can't happen to you.

Be careful what you wish for my friend...

Edited by The XYY Man

This happens time and time again. Developer proposes housing close to industrial development. Businesses and environmental health object - invariably on the basis that site unsuitable for housing. Despite this tosspot planners recommend approval with some unenforceable conditions. Permission granted by tosspot planning committee (councillors).

3 months later environmental health duty bound to investigate noise complaints under nuisance law - if noise a statutory nuisance - duty bound to serve abatement notices. In nuisance law - who was there first is irrelevant.

Hmmm, I bought a house on a busy road in East London once, I wonder if I could have got it closed down :lol:

The place i work is going through the exact same problem. A person that purchased a house next to the industrial estate has started after eight years to complain about the noise. Environmental Health rang my sister at 1:00am to ask why a extraction fan was running. You would not mind but they actually receive discounted council tax rates.

I think its a bit much. Its like buying a house next to a farm and then complaining about the smell of cow 5hit. I think it should be a case of what was there first.

I look forward to tearing apart your "I've got a degree and I work in IT" reasons why you believe that it can't happen to you.

IT is an interesting one. It seems that IT contractors (which I believe laurejon claims to be) salaries have stayed strong while most IT related jobs salaries have fallen quite a lot in real terms and the trend is set to get worse. I'm into IT as I study it at university but luckily I also have very good entrepreneurial skills so I probably won't need a job, and I also have the foresight to not want to get into the IT jobs market in the first place due to noticing the above salary issues. Lourejon could still make a lot more money abroad though.

The reasons for all of this are the outsourcing of IT to India, contracting the jobs supply thus forcing down wages.

Edited by Saberu

This is going to cost the cake company hundreds and thousands.

I think thats just the icing on the cake!

Those residents are being really jammy by calling for this case.

Edited by Saberu