House Price Crash Forum
bdon

Historical Nationwide Data: Charts

Hi guys, thought in a moment of spreadsheetyness I'd map out the Nationwide figures (good long dataset). Some things interested me:

eyqtr60ci6mzxlup21bw.png

The graph actually looks much less spikey than I'd first thought - these btw are nominal.

The second graph though is much more interesting - this shows the quarterly change in HPI (or HPC!) throughout the period. The last crash was very sudden! Literally in one quarter things went +ve to -ve and then again and again.

g9eb4tvwhrzy594ct2q3.png

Interesting huh!

Hi guys, thought in a moment of spreadsheetyness I'd map out the Nationwide figures (good long dataset). Some things interested me:

Interesting huh!

Er - do you have a life as well? But I agree interesting to observe the trends laid out like that.

It gets more interesting if you calculate an affordability index by dividing house prices by disposable income ( ie median earnings after tax). You then need to add another column for the deviation of this index from the average affordability index. I have the series from 1960 to date on a spreadsheet if you are interested. May I recommend using one figure for each year for ease of reading.

Er - do you have a life as well? But I agree interesting to observe the trends laid out like that.

I do somewhere: split between this forum and work (which is generally 20% xl, 20 word, and 60% ppt !)

Great stuff - thanks! Nice steady, sequential drop over what looks like a year - and then a couple more years of further lows - but shows that it can happen really fast once it starts. With the internet now that will be even speedier. RB is right - 30% down from 2007 peak by end of 2008.

I have the series from 1960 to date on a spreadsheet if you are interested. May I recommend using one figure for each year for ease of reading.

Could you post the numbers in a spreadsheet in the economics section?

Could you post the numbers in a spreadsheet in the economics section?

Figs now on economics section. Had to attach file in word format, as could not get excel accepted. Apologies if layout not too good as cols would go out of page range.