House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ayatollah Buggeri

Why Does Hpc Bugger Firefox?

I've noticed that when I have multiple tabs open in Firefox (using version 2.0.0.12 with Vista Ultimate x64), sometimes the site starts responding very slowly (as in, fails to respond for 5-10 seconds when trying to change tabs) or just not responding at all, so that I have to close Firefox with the task manager and then relaunch it again. This never happens when an HPC tab is not open, and doesn't happen using HPC with Internet Explorer, either. It's as if some script in the page is executing an endless loop and there's no way to stop it.

Does anyone know of any configuration tweak that can sort this glitch? Thanks in advance...

Guest Skint Academic
I've noticed that when I have multiple tabs open in Firefox (using version 2.0.0.12 with Vista Ultimate x64), sometimes the site starts responding very slowly (as in, fails to respond for 5-10 seconds when trying to change tabs) or just not responding at all, so that I have to close Firefox with the task manager and then relaunch it again. This never happens when an HPC tab is not open, and doesn't happen using HPC with Internet Explorer, either. It's as if some script in the page is executing an endless loop and there's no way to stop it.

Does anyone know of any configuration tweak that can sort this glitch? Thanks in advance...

I get the same thing with firefox on linux. I installed the NoScript plugin which seemed to help but most things didn't work so I keep it off most off the time. It makes typing really slow sometimes. The problem also seems to happen on IE sometimes on my partner's computer sometimes.

I've a suspicion that it's got something to do with flash and banner adds. I've found that certain sites with banners seem to go loopy in firefox. If you refresh the page though you usually get a different banner and it starts to behave itself again.

I don't have any solutions to add really, except just to say that I get this too. I only use Firefox, so I didn't know that it was something that only seems to happen when using that.

Typically, my solution has been just to close the HPC tab and come back to it, but I'll try refreshing the page when it happens to next time.

Edit: A typo.

I don't get this problem (XP Pro Firefox 2.0.0.12) but are you running the AdBlockPlus addon that certainly speeded up my firefox? Once ABP was on it seemed to make firefox a lot more stable and got rid of all the ad spam.

Failing that load the NoScript addon