House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

Ukraine May Cut Europe Gas Supply

You could say that the Soviet Union (Putin) has the Ukraine and Europe by the short and curlies?

This is the real meaning of POWER. What they lost at the end of the Cold War will quickly be regained as the Soviet Union re-emerges as the dominant force in Europe.

I wonder how long before the jackboots begin marching again across Red Square as stony faced politburo members and their generals salute the nuke ICBMs that roll past?

We won the cold war by conspiring with the USA to flood the market with oil to kill the old Soviet Unions only real profitable export. We produced our own North sea oil, flat out for peanuts, and the US leant on its middle eastern chums to bring a glut of oil onto world markets.

Because of this the Russians still have sizable oil and gas deposits and are in an incredibly strong position. Putin has been savvy and has effectively brought Russia's mineral wealth back into state hands. Putin can now adopt a "who's your Daddy" mentality with Europeans.

The Daily Mash makes light of this situation with their spoof article, although our dependence on Russia cannot be denied.

Link

"I am Vladimir, I have gas. I have many, many gas. You want my gas? Sure, you want my gas. You love my gas. If I say act like perfumed lady and you can have my gas, you will act like perfumed lady. You love my gas. But how much you want my gas? Put dress on. Do it now." :P

Edited by Jay76

You could say that the Soviet Union (Putin) has the Ukraine and Europe by the short and curlies?

This is the real meaning of POWER. What they lost at the end of the Cold War will quickly be regained as the Soviet Union re-emerges as the dominant force in Europe.

I wonder how long before the jackboots begin marching again across Red Square as stony faced politburo members and their generals salute the nuke ICBMs that roll past?

I don't think we will return to the days of the jack boots marching down Red Square. However, I do agree that the Russian bear has finally awoken after a long slumber.

Putin and his fellow Russians remember very well the humilation that their once great country experienced at the hands of the Americans who won the Cold War in 1991. They remember how their economy became dependant on Western loans during the dark days of rampant inflation during the 1990's and how the Americans then bossed the planet as their nuclear submarines rusted in Murmansk.

Many Russians remain very poor in relation ot Western standards but they are a very proud and patriotic people. They supported Putin/Medvedev in huge numbers on Sunday because they can see a future where the great Russian bear will awaken and they just love to see Russia standing up to the West Americans.

Interesting times.

Edited by SlumpmonkeyII

I don't think we will return to the days of the jack boots marching down Red Square. However, I do agree that the Russian bear has finally awoken after a long slumber.

Putin and his fellow Russians remember very well the humilation that their once great country experienced at the hands of the Americans who won the Cold War in 1991. They remember how their economy became dependant on Western loans during the dark days of rampant inflation during the 1990's and how the Americans then bossed the planet as their nuclear submarines rusted in Murmansk.

Many Russians remain very poor in relation ot Western standards but they are a very proud and patriotic people. They supported Putin/Medeved in huge numbers on Sunday because they can see a future where the great Russian bear will awaken and they just love to see Russia standing up to the West Americans.

Interesting times.

When was Russia great?

1866?

No one alive to remember that.

Any time after that is just full with murderious dictators.

When was Russia great?

1866?

No one alive to remember that.

Any time after that is just full with murderious dictators.

1943 mate, Enemy at The Gate.

20 million Russians died to save the West.

D-Day was just a sideshow.

Where's that Oil Bush promised us for going to war with him in Iraq. We want the oil NOW. I hope Gordon keeps him to his promise.

Once we get hold of the oil, we can flood the world with Iraqi oil , causing the price to plummet and once again push Russia into the sideline. Oh and dont forget Iraqi oil will provide us with 50 years of prosperity - we can all live like the rich arabs.

Let the good times roll.

The USSR was a great power and it kept the US in check ;)

It did quite a number on Nazi Germany as well. If not for the Soviet Union, we might have found ourselves a part of a Great European Empire dreaming of the day when we might elect our leaders to run our own affairs. Oh.. hang on a minute.

1943 mate, Enemy at The Gate.

20 million Russians died to save the West.

D-Day was just a sideshow.

The nuke would have saved us all.

Guest anorthosite

That's a debate we could have all day - would a handful of nukes liberated Europe or would it just have bought peace for the US? Never mind the war in the Pacific.

Speaking of Stalingrad, to completly steal the thread and go off on a self indulgent tangent, did you know the Battle of Stalingrad was virtually a slow motion re-run of history's most decisive battle, The Battle of Cannae in 216BC?

Too late by then.

Victory in Russia would have released another 60% of the Wermacht for the Western Front.

So no D-day, and an unthinkable prospect for the Allies.

Look how the Americans nearly crumbled at the Battle of the Bulge.