House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SpiceWorld!

Deposit Return - How Long Should I Expect To Wait?

Hi All,

After a pretty messy agreement to end the tenancy. We have agreed verbally with the LL what deductions are to be made from the deposit. When should we expect it to be returned? Tenancy ended 2 weeks ago.

Thanks.

Again, it's the whole put it in writing thing...

Send the LL a letter, confirming what was agreed on the phone, and the date of the phonecall, then add that you look forward to receiving the money either directly credited to your bank account, or in cheque to your new address (always handy to reiterate the new address/the forwarding address if you don't want him to know where you're going to - that way the cheque can't get "lost" in the post!), and you could even give a reasonable time frame - I would expect a month from your moving out to be pretty generous - after all, it's your cash, and I'm guessing if you've moved somewhere else, you've now got 2 deposits tied up in other people's bank accounts.

Am off to take my own advice, and send grotty letter to my Letting Agent!

Again, it's the whole put it in writing thing...

Send the LL a letter, confirming what was agreed on the phone, and the date of the phonecall, then add that you look forward to receiving the money either directly credited to your bank account, or in cheque to your new address (always handy to reiterate the new address/the forwarding address if you don't want him to know where you're going to - that way the cheque can't get "lost" in the post!), and you could even give a reasonable time frame - I would expect a month from your moving out to be pretty generous - after all, it's your cash, and I'm guessing if you've moved somewhere else, you've now got 2 deposits tied up in other people's bank accounts.

Am off to take my own advice, and send grotty letter to my Letting Agent!

2 weeks, it is the standard set by the new TDS system even if the tenancy started before 6th April 2007 and state any longer you start charging interest at 7% of course you won't get it, but if they hold it so long you have to go to court you have stated your rate, the last tenant in my house made £500 on interest when the LL held the deposit for 17 months