House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Rice Inflation - 40% In 2 Weeks!

£1.00 per bag 2 weeks ago - just paid £1.40 for the same blinking bag in the same blinking shop.

The household budget squeeze just seems to go on and on. Leaving no money to prop up buy-to-let losses and pay the mortgage.

Talk about a disaster!

http://www.business24-7.ae/cs/article_show...HeadlineID=3293

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...17/wrice117.xml

What do you mean TO hit Harry, massive price increases were already coming through when you penned your article back in December!

Global food inflation to hit UK consumers

By Harry Wallop, Consumer Affairs Correspondent

Last Updated: 3:08am GMT 19/12/2007

Global rice and wheat prices have hit an all-time high as rampant global food inflation looks to hit Britain's consumers over the next few months.

The price of wheat has nearly tripled since last year, while the price of rice has doubled as poor harvests and surging demand has led to all-time high prices.

Edited by gruffydd

Seriously,

It's time to start growing your own stuff, that's what my parents do. If you have a garden, get a greenhouse, seed and fertilizer.

yeh, we should all spend 5h a week trying to keep a 10meter sqaure patch up and running. perhaps providing enough for one meal per quater if that

you sure are smart, if only we had you for PM. You could solve all our food inflation problems

just spend a massive amounts of time, a good amount of money, to produce very little

i think mugambe will want to offer you a job, apply online!!!!

yeh, we should all spend 5h a week trying to keep a 10meter sqaure patch up and running. perhaps providing enough for one meal per quater if that

you sure are smart, if only we had you for PM. You could solve all our food inflation problems

just spend a massive amounts of time, a good amount of money, to produce very little

What are you basing this opinion on? Have you ever even tried growing food?

What are you basing this opinion on? Have you ever even tried growing food?

my grandfather has a farm. mostly fruit. (which i spet my first 5 years of life in)

perhaps 5 years ago and before that they also kept sheep

on a large scale it is worthwhile

advocating people to use their 10m^2 gardens to feed their familys is stupid at best!

my grandfather has a farm. mostly fruit. (which i spet my first 5 years of life in)

advocating people to use their 10m^2 gardens to feed their familys is stupid at best!

There is loads of stuff you can grow with very little effort. Peas, beans, spuds, onions, leeks, carrots. Getting in the car and going to an out of town supermarket or farm shop every week takes alot more time than growing.

Cuba solved it's food shortage, due to trade blockades, with urban agriculture.

http://www.cityfarmer.org/CubaGreen.html

As regards the rice thing, I've noticed there seems to be less of it Muller Rice lately. Not sure if the labelling has changed.

Edited by dazednconfused

So the answer to the question is, "No, I have never tried growing my own food". My grandfather was a sailor in the merchant navy, but I don't consider that qualifies me to give opinions on the ins and outs of yacht racing.

There was no mention of solely feeding your family from your back-garden. You just invented a straw-man and then came out with the utterly ridiculous statement that you'd spend five hours a week and a lot of money to grow enough for one meal per quarter. It is easy and not expensive at all to grow a significant proportion of your own food with a modest area of decent soil.

Rice has been edging up for months now, why wouldn't it? Still worth stocking up at current prices IMO, it lasts indefinitely as long as you keep it dry. Just make sure you have some beans to make up a complete protein, and something to flavour it with, and you're set ;)

You're certainly not going to feed a family on a 10m^2 garden, but you can grow a lot of stuff and save a lot of money. Just growing tomatoes or salad in your windows can save you a shedload over the summer, when you consider a little tub costs £2 or whatever.

Trying to grow your own potatoes or grain on a small plot is silly, buy it off a farmer. But keeping half a dozen chickens for the eggs would make sense, or growing a high-value labour-intensive crop that the farmer can't be bothered with. Do what you can do better; pay the farmer for what he can do better.

We tried and failed to grow some veg. It got totally overgrown and we dont have the time(inclination) now. I can work an extra hour at work and it would make more money than growing stuff.

I miss the vine tomato from the greenhouse smell(from my Grandad) but I have to rent and can't have a bleedin greenhouse and no I cant be arsed to have a plastic piece of cr*p in the garden.

We tried that experiment - if it all goes to ratsh!t i will be at the gunstore or the drugstore. Trading vital drugs for food. Tinfoil hat off. Rant over. Rose spectacles back on.

you can grow enough potatoes in 6 barrels or so to last a family of 3 fro 6 months of the year

very simple only need some horse shit and a few seed potatoes

they take no looking after at all.

i used to also grow mushrooms in a box, couldnt believe how many came out of a tiny box, lasted months and months i couldnt eat them fast enough, the box cost 5 pounds and all it required was a little watering thats it.if i had to uy they mushroms would cost easy 100 pounds, you can pick them up at any garden centre.even the tinest flat can do mushrooms.Once you actually see how simple it is too grow mushrooms and how cheap you totally begrudge buying them ever again.you just open the box and water them that is it, then wait about a month making sure there kept moist and then you get mushrooms for about 4 months.Please go and try this, every garden centre sells the mushroom ngrow boxes.

note

Each acre of potatoes can yield from 25000 to 35000 pounds of potatoes per acre

Edited by homeless