House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Jumping Jack Flash (paulson) Issues Terrifying Statement

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/busines...on-capital.html

Paulson: 'go get it' if institutions need capital

REUTERS

7:54 a.m. March 3, 2008
WASHINGTON – U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson Monday said that financial institutions should seize the opportunity to raise fresh capital if they think they need it, for both their own and the sake of the wider economy.
“The big message that I am giving to financial institutions is that if you think there is any likelihood that you are going to need capital, and it is available today, go get it,”
Paulson said during a question and answer session after a speech to an economic policy conference.
“Because then it is better for you and the overall economy, much better than shrinking your balance sheet,” he said.

Paulson* is basically telling the financial markets that there is nothing more the government or the Fed can do. The HPC and the collateral damage caused thereby is too big to handle.

The more I read the more I think we may be headed into something a little nastier than a recession.

* A.k.a "Jumpin Jack Flash" because of his nervous twitches and jerking motions when speaking on the current state of the world economy.

REUTERS

WASHINGTON – U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson Monday said that financial institutions should seize the opportunity to raise fresh capital if they think they need it, for both their own and the sake of the wider economy.
“The big message that I am giving to financial institutions is that if you think there is any likelihood that you are going to need capital, and it is available today, go get it,”
Paulson said during a question and answer session after a speech to an economic policy conference.
“Because then it is better for you and the overall economy, much better than shrinking your balance sheet,” he said.

Paulson* is basically telling the financial markets that there is nothing more the government or the Fed can do. The HPC and the collateral damage caused thereby is too big to handle.

The more I read the more I think we may be headed into something a little nastier than a recession.

* A.k.a "Jumpin Jack Flash" because of his nervous twitches and jerking motions when speaking on the current state of the world economy.

For the individual could this be translated as advice to max credit cards and loan facilities etc at advantageous terms and reinvest the proceeds?

Paulson* is basically telling the financial markets that there is nothing more the government or the Fed can do.

No he's not. He's telling the banks that if they can they should increase their capital rather than reduce credit on the grounds of balance sheet constraints. He's saying that a credit contraction would harm the rest of the economy.

I don't think it's as gloomy as you think, just advice that is common sense to anyone who is not a banker.

There is still a lot the Fed can do; unlike the ECB they haven't even begun the step of buying crap assets such as MBS from banks (or accepting them as collateral as they would say).

Edited by williamdb

REUTERS

"The big message that I am giving to financial institutions is that if you think there is any likelihood that you are going to need capital, and it is available today, go get it,"
"Because then it is better for you and the overall economy, much better than shrinking your balance sheet," he said.

Is gold looking more attractive RB? ;)

There's a tide of inflation on it's way, rates are going up. Activity is going down.

It's when the tide recedes that the real problems begin....

REUTERS

You're smarter than the average bear then because I thought he was just talking ****** as usual.

1) These nutjobs consistently confuse capital with money. An accumulation of one leads to prosperity, whereas an accumulation of the other leads simply to higher prices.

2) The government and FED can do plenty more to increase the damage they have already caused... and they will. This is 100% guaranteed, to steal a popular turn of phrase.

3) Why does Paulson believe it is 'better for you and the overall economy' to increase further the quantity of unpayable debt?

The mind boggles.

Edited by Far Out Bear

They aren't though are they. Borrowing rates are, saving rates are going down.

Yea, it's the big liquidity black hole I used to talk about, that has opened up between the commercial banks and consumers. Visible as a widening credit spreads.

Banks have suffered huge losses and now refuse to lend to a deflating economy. Central banks are increasing liquidity but due to lack of trust the chain is broken. And commercial banks are simply hoarding what money flows to them. Greater uncertainty requires greater reserve ratio's. We are watching an extended period of deleveraging.

Capital is not being recycled as quickly as it needs to be. Growing uncertainty means investing is riskier and therefor more costly. So everybody is left huddled in porchways waiting for the sky to clear.

With base rates coming down again soon, expect speculators to be the first out in the rain.

How long before Paulson is caught gibbering in a bush within Central Park?

With base rates coming down again soon, expect speculators to be the first out in the rain.

as a coffee and choclate consumer I am none to pleased about this....

whats next.... needless speculation in potatoes ? the last thing i need is an extra 20p on a packet of walkers :(