House Price Crash Forum
Its time to buy

Newbuild 5 Ft From River Edge

Has anyone been on the Sheffield-London train line recently? Just as you coming up to the main tunnel between Chesterfield and Derby, there's a bunch of new builds on a bend in the river built right on the, um, what's the name for it? oh yeah, "flood plain".

I wonder what the insurance is like there?

I guess thats why its got 5' of raised foundations... make the french windows a bathing platform!

Thats great news for the new build house owner, however the neighbours behind him are probably doomed to a death by drowning in the near future..oh well It will give the new build tenants a chance to snap up some of those prime BTL properties when the water subsides :blink:

Has anyone been on the Sheffield-London train line recently? Just as you coming up to the main tunnel between Chesterfield and Derby, there's a bunch of new builds on a bend in the river built right on the, um, what's the name for it? oh yeah, "flood plain".

Not been that far North recently but on Saturday a friend and I on the London to Leicester train were mildly entertained by all the new builds on the flood plain for the River Welland (or is River Ise?) in Kettering. :blink:

It's OK - the Insurance Companies are reading loony global warming denialist threads on HPC and they probably can't see what all the fuss is about.

:lol::lol::lol:

It is a LOT of money.

But I think it looks lovely. Apart from maybe the bathroom which is a let down.

But if it was 850K less i'd have it if i wanted to live that way!

id need to be '100% sure' it would never flood. just imagine fearing the high waters every storm - cant make for a comfortable life. maybe check out the insurance cost for flooding before you buy for an assessment of how likely it is to flood?

Stour flooded in 2005

http://www.eyemead.com/FLOOD-1.htm

FLOOD-2.jpg

FLOOD-2a.jpg

http://www.swgfl.org.uk/rivers/hgraphs.htm

The River Stour has a history of flooding and major floods were recorded as far back as 1756.

Recent major floods occurred in 1960, 1966, 1974 and twice in 1979. In the past decade flooding seems to be occurring with greater regularity. There were minor floods in 1990, 1992 and 1994/5 with larger floods occurring in 1999 and 2000.

Edited by notanewmember

Stour flooded in 2005

http://www.swgfl.org.uk/rivers/hgraphs.htm

The River Stour has a history of flooding and major floods were recorded as far back as 1756.

Recent major floods occurred in 1960, 1966, 1974 and twice in 1979. In the past decade flooding seems to be occurring with greater regularity. There were minor floods in 1990, 1992 and 1994/5 with larger floods occurring in 1999 and 2000.

so what you sayin'? :unsure: !

Insurance ? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The one little mud and rock feature with desert plants(!) that has been created in the garden will soon get washed away. They will have to get used to living on a grass bank because that land can never be landscaped.

insurance for local flooding - why doesnt the local council offer insurance against housing flood damage.

after all:

1. they allowed builing on it so they should be bullish on the risk

2. they are big enough to hold a reserve against the risk

3. some element of premium will include 'peace of mind' and so why should local residents give money to an insurance company rather than keep it locally

4. no insurance copmany worth their salt is going to offer a premium that doesnt include a large profit built in