House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EssexFTB

Help Needed - Parking Tickets

I know this is not directly related to Houses but it is to me as this affects my deposit massively.

Can anyone help me?

I used to park my car at a train station and got parking tickets left right and centre from NCP (National Car Parks), i never paid them (i honestly couldnt afford to, poor excuse i know, but i just couldnt)

All of a sudden i have recieved a lot of letters all at once dating back as far as september demanding £85 per ticket!!! I have got 30 so far and a guess a lot more to come.

Any of you know where i stand on this? Or am i going down **** creek without a paddle?

Any advice would be greatly recieved.

Cheers

I know this is not directly related to Houses but it is to me as this affects my deposit massively.

Can anyone help me?

I used to park my car at a train station and got parking tickets left right and centre from NCP (National Car Parks), i never paid them (i honestly couldnt afford to, poor excuse i know, but i just couldnt)

All of a sudden i have recieved a lot of letters all at once dating back as far as september demanding £85 per ticket!!! I have got 30 so far and a guess a lot more to come.

Any of you know where i stand on this? Or am i going down **** creek without a paddle?

Cheers

up shit creek, you should always pay fines. Of you dont pay the fines they will be sold as debt to debt companies, they will add massive overheads (85 quid fine could turn into a 1000 quid charge), then they will chase you for the debt, send balifs round etc etc. The more fines/liquid you appear the more of a target you will be to baliffs.. Pay ASAP...

One or two tickets, yep you have a fighting chance but 30!!!!! I would go to the docs and claim depression and then contact NCP or whoever and cut a deal based on the fact that you were not sure what you were doing in your life. Offer to pay back the £2,250.00 over time.

Failing that chuck the paddle on the beach and head for Panama!!!

Can anyone help me?

Cheers

NCP are a private company and are trying to charge you based on what they will claim is a contract.

It's all ********. You don't owe them a penny. The fact that you have received 30 letters and no court date is a bit of a clue, don't you think?

Forget about it, or write them a letter using the templates you can find below.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum...affic-offences/

Not legal advice etc etc

NCP are a private company and are trying to charge you based on what they will claim is a contract.

It's all ********. You don't owe them a penny. The fact that you have received 30 letters and no court date is a bit of a clue, don't you think?

Not legal advice etc etc

Injin's right on this point.

Nobody but a court can enforce any "fine or forfeiture".

Very good and interesting link that Injin, however as it was a railway station it may chnage things.....

Just one thing that I would like to add, which involves Railway premises since it sometimes comes up and I know that private operators such as Apcoa and NCP man the car parks on behalf of train operators or Network Rail. Although not a local authority, operators of Railway car parks are allowed to issue notices for penalties (in England and Wales only) under Bye Law 14 of the Transport Act 2000.

14. Traffic signs, causing obstructions and parking

(1) No person in charge of any motor vehicle, bicycle or other conveyance shall use it on any part of the railway in contravention of any traffic sign.

(2) No person in charge of any motor vehicle, bicycle or other conveyance shall leave or place it on any part of the railway:

(i) in any manner or place where it may cause an

obstruction or hindrance to an Operator or any person using the railway; or

(ii) otherwise than in accordance with any instructions issued by or on behalf of an Operator or an authorised person.

(3) No person in charge of any motor vehicle, bicycle or other conveyance shall park it on any part of the railway where charges are made for parking by an Operator or an authorised person without paying the appropriate charge at the appropriate time in accordance with instructions given by an Operator or an authorised person at that place.

(4) In England and Wales

The owner of any motor vehicle, bicycle or other conveyance used, left or placed in breach of Byelaw 14(1) to 14(3) may be liable to pay a penalty as displayed in that area.

(ii) Without prejudice to Byelaw 14(4)(i), any motor vehicle, bicycle or other conveyance used, left or placed in breach of Byelaw 14(1) to 14(3) may be clamped, removed, and stored, by or under the direction of an Operator or authorised person.

(iii) The owner of the motor vehicle, bicycle or other conveyance shall be liable to an Operator or an authorised person for the costs incurred in clamping, removing and storing it provided that there is in that area a notice advising that any vehicle parked contrary to these Byelaws may be clamped, removed and stored by an Operator or an authorised person and that (i)

the costs incurred by an Operator or an authorised person for this may be recovered from the vehicle’s owner.

(iv) The power of clamping and removal provided in Byelaw 14(4)(ii) above shall not be exercisable in any area where passenger parking is permitted unless there is on display in that area a notice advising that any vehicle parked contrary to these Byelaws may be clamped and/or removed by an Operator or an authorised person.

(5) In Scotland

Any motor vehicle, bicycle or other conveyance used, left or placed in breach of this Byelaw in Scotland may be removed by or under the direction of a constable.

Very good and interesting link that Injin, however as it was a railway station it may chnage things.....

In such a case I would ask what all those words mean before I parted with any cash.

What is a "traffic sign"?

What is a "person"?

What is a "railway"?

Why is this statute applicable to me?

How do you know?

etc etc

The law works by meaning one thing to a lawyer and something else to the man in the street and the man in the street not asking about the difference. For £85 they aren't going there.

This was covered on watch dog last week I believe?

They explained you don't need to pay these private firms anything.

They cannot chase the debt. All they can do is ban you from their car parks - Would be pretty hard to enforce this though.

Problem is they construct the letters like its the biggest crime ever and they will chase you for the debt - These people really do have too much perceived power.

We need a nice big house price crash to wipe their the smiles off their smug faces :P

I have been looking out for posts like this: Can you answer me these questions: Was this out of the blue from a debt collection agency? If so have you also got children?

Thanks.

being quite tight when it comes to paying this type of ting i looked into how to evade this stuff.

the way around normal parking tickets is to claim you broke down, the thing to remember is it must be a act of god break down.For instance running out of petrol is not.

So the thing you do is, when you see the ticket on the windscreen go to halfords or whatever and buy the cheapest critical component ie this could be a fuse or switch or something, just make sure it is something that for your particular vehicle if it went it would cause you to be immobile.Failing this if you have a mechanic friend get him to give you a dummy breakdown reciept.

fill out the ticket and post with proof of your untimely breakdown, ie send a photocopy of your reciept as proof(not original). the parking authority council,police or private issuer must cancel the ticket as you cannot be fined for parking if you break down.The company will not persue you through the courts as it would get throwing out.

The key is to have proof of your breakdown.

Another thing to note other than a police traffic warding you have the right to drive off while they write out the ticket.DO NOT LISTEN TO THE ISSUER, the issuer knows you have this right and that the ticket is not issued untill they slap the ticket on your vehicle.Do not sit arguing with them while they write it out, just get in your vehicle as fast as you can and drive away, it takes them a couple mins to write the ticket out.if they try to obstruct you (illegal for them to do) grab your camera phone and take a pic of them doing this.

Another thing to check is that they wrote the ticket out correctly, check that ticket very carefully for any errors, even if no errors check it is readable and cannot be mistaking ie a i shouldnt look like an l ect a 9 confused as a 7

if after all this they still wish to persue then take them to court, this costs a lot and more often than not the threat to do so will be enough, dont be intimidated by there threats if you have any of the above to back up your non payment.if they then do take you, demand before the court case to see there evidence, they by law have to give you this, then you can check it corresponds with your ticket, these days they take photographs with a time stamp.check everything matches up (often they cant find the evidence in time).

me

14 parking tickets in 5 years cost apart from some stamps £0

i kid you not

few good forums , google for them to learn the laws and how others got them annulled also the correct way to go about objecting.

hope that helps

Guest muttley
The key is to have proof of your breakdown.

Good advice, homeless, but I don't think the OP can claim to have broken down 30+ times!

Why have they waited so long before sending 30 letters. Surely you can point out that you would not have parked there again if you had known there was such a punitive fine?

Go to the CAB, as suggested.