House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vfr

Where To Invest

My angle on this is silver now and housing in the UK in 2 years. Any thoughts?

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20080302/BIZ/998716943/1005

Invest in silver, real estate and stocks, celebrated author advises

By Tim Grant

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Best-selling author Robert Kiyosaki believes there's a silver lining in the clouds over the sluggish U.S. economy in the form of silver itself.

"If you have $10,000 cash, I would take $5,000 and buy silver either in an exchange-traded fund or coins and sit on the rest instead of keeping all of it in cash because the purchasing power of silver will go up and cash will go down," Kiyosaki said.

The celebrated author of "Rich Dad Poor Dad" recently discussed his views on the current economy in a wide-ranging interview in which he recommended that people look for bargains while real estate and stock prices are low, and offered a cursory glimpse of his own investment strategy in these changing times.

As a personal-finance guru best known for challenging traditional beliefs about the real definition of assets and liabilities, Kiyosaki, 60, has earned a reputation for offering what some would say is unconventional advice.

His prevailing theme is that great economic changes in this generation behoove people to think more like investors instead of wage earners and consumers.

"Right now, everyone has to learn to invest," he said. "I always say savers are losers. The purchasing power of the dollar has dropped and it will continue."

Kiyosaki predicts that silver, which is trading for about $17 an ounce now, will reach its 1980 record high price of $52.50 an ounce in three or four years. Unlike gold, which is hoarded, silver is an industrial commodity used in products such as cell phones and television sets. And like oil, the supply of silver is declining while demand rises.

"For the average guy, silver is the way to go," Kiyosaki said, adding that gold has gotten way too expensive for most people at this point. "Twenty-eight years ago, silver was $50 an ounce. Gold was $850. Today gold is at $900 an ounce. Silver is at $17. Which do you think is the better bet? I think silver."

As for real estate and stocks, Kiyosaki says now is a great time to be an investor.

"The real estate and stock market are having sales," he said. "So, this is the time to look for bargains. Between 2004 and 2005 was the worse time for real estate and stocks."

The trouble with stocks, he said, is that U.S. companies that have always been considered good solid companies are more vulnerable to foreign competitors.

General Motors will face stiff competition if and when India-based Tata Motors releases a $2,500 automobile on the world market. The Chinese are building their own jetliners. Microsoft could get hurt by open-source and Internet-based software.

Kiyosaki's book series has sold more than 28 million copies worldwide since its release in 1997.

"The real estate and stock market are having sales," he said. "So, this is the time to look for bargains. Between 2004 and 2005 was the worse time for real estate and stocks."

Whether you like the guy or not, or think his books are good sense or just rehashed garbage, he did call the US property market spot-on. He's always told people to look for cash flows, not capital gains.

This was one of his articles from 2005, when the whole world seemed to think that you couldn't go wrong with property...

http://whgbetc.com/meta/booms-bust.html

Edited by BandWagon

QUOTE:
So the answer to the question, "Will the real estate bubble bust?" is an emphatic, "Yes. All bubbles bust." The reason I write this alert is because this time, when the bubble bursts, I think it will be a monster. Never in my life have I seen so much money being made on such weak fundamentals. If you think the last recession caused by the bubble bust was bad, the coming recession will be at least twice as bad. It might lead to a depression.

Could not state it any better myself. Sanity exists in the world. <_<

"A few years ago I read a book by Robert Greene and Joost Elffers called "The 48 Laws of Power" (Viking, 1998). It is a "Machiavellian approach to the systematic study of power." Basically, it is written as a how-to book. It gives the cynical lowdown on increasing and maintaining one's power over others. It is truly an interesting and thought-provoking study in human nature. I thought you might be interested in the following quote, which I feel is particularly apt in describing the power strategy that gurus like Kiyosaki like to follow:

"Law 27 - PLAY ON PEOPLE'S NEED TO BELIEVE TO CREATE A CULTLIKE FOLLOWING. Judgment - People have an overwhelming desire to believe in something. Become the focal point of such desire by offering them a cause, a new faith to follow. Keep your words vague but full of promise; emphasize enthusiasm over rationality and clear thinking."

:rolleyes:

"A few years ago I read a book by Robert Greene and Joost Elffers called "The 48 Laws of Power" (Viking, 1998). It is a "Machiavellian approach to the systematic study of power." Basically, it is written as a how-to book. It gives the cynical lowdown on increasing and maintaining one's power over others. It is truly an interesting and thought-provoking study in human nature. I thought you might be interested in the following quote, which I feel is particularly apt in describing the power strategy that gurus like Kiyosaki like to follow:

"Law 27 - PLAY ON PEOPLE'S NEED TO BELIEVE TO CREATE A CULTLIKE FOLLOWING. Judgment - People have an overwhelming desire to believe in something. Become the focal point of such desire by offering them a cause, a new faith to follow. Keep your words vague but full of promise; emphasize enthusiasm over rationality and clear thinking."

:rolleyes:

Kiyosaki is THE snake-oil salesman bar none. I have read the 48 Laws of Power and if I could find a way of applying them I`d be rich beyond my wildest dreams. However, I would not wish to do so for the simple reason that following the rules would result in a Van Hoogstraten / Inside Track scenario, and I don`t believe that ripping people off is a good way to make money (albeit a very fast and successful one if you want to go that route!) <_<

Robert Kiyosaki is the kind of person who advocates going to totally useless `wealth seminars` to gain `financial intelligence`. Of course, he would say that as he`s got a `financial education` empire on the go (have you seen the price of his board games???!!) God, he even had Casey `subprime` Serin at one of his seminars (it`s a shame his blog isn`t running any more!) :(

Edited by southsea13

"What doesn’t work is when you start doing things that you don't understand or because they worked last week for somebody else. The dumbest reason in the world to buy a stock is because it's going up." - Warren Buffet

"What doesn’t work is when you start doing things that you don't understand or because they worked last week for somebody else. The dumbest reason in the world to buy a stock is because it's going up." - Warren Buffet

Buy a good stock on its way down...know what you want, pounce when the price and time is right, and others have lost interest. ;)

"He's always told people to look for cash flows, not capital gains"

What cash flows do you get from Silver?

Kiyosaki is a salesman, first and last. Stocks and real estate will be battered for the next 10 years or more. He has to say invest in silver because all his income generating "assets" do not meet inflation.

Buying land has always been the investment that has been touted to me. I mean even when a market can face serious decline, like they mention in the ongoing recession in America if you have a good portfolio of Land Investment then you are a t least buffered from the more serious problems that can occur with global markets.