House Price Crash Forum

Manic

HOLA441

It could be just worcestershire but it was manic yesterday, the city centre was crammed with shoppers to christmas levels, then we spent an hour stuck in rush out type traffic try to get to malvern the roads were stuffed with people. It was nice weather but it is odd that everyone decided to spend all on the same day, IMHO feels like a spring boom/bounce...

HOLA442
It could be just worcestershire but it was manic yesterday, the city centre was crammed with shoppers to christmas levels, then we spent an hour stuck in rush out type traffic try to get to malvern the roads were stuffed with people. It was nice weather but it is odd that everyone decided to spend all on the same day, IMHO feels like a spring boom/bounce...

Dunno. I was in London yesterday and Oxford street was quite tame (this was after 12pm when it's usually heaving).

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Simple: first Saturday after pay day.

This time last week, all our favourite bars and restaurants were empty. A week ago last night, we instantly got a table in a local tapas bar that is normally rammed. Last night, we didn't bother because the wait would have been an hour and a half.

We've been observing this phenomenon for some months now - and it's a sign of complete financial incompetence and incontinence on behalf of the wage-slaved masses.

What a horrible way to subsist: blow your wage packet in the first half of the month and then spend the next two weeks thinking 'oh sh1t, how am I going to get by till the next instalment?'

HOLA446

Went to SE London yesterday and sat in Bank Holiday rush hour style traffic jams on the A12 coming back out. Plenty of broken down vehicles from the queues. No idea why. TomTom said clear roads so it didn't figure as an 'event' to their sources.

Still, on the bright side, we had a chavved BMW, a MG poncey roadster with Mr Middle class, and a new mini (not Foxtons unfortunately) with what appeared to be classic urban trendy types in it all out of action. All 'superior' vehicles with superior drivers. We pootled by in an old Corsa (the V8 stayed at home).

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Had a very similair experience in Wellington Telford yesterday. Girl at Tesco's checkout even said it was like christmas. Took us 45 minutes just to get out of Tesco car park. Also noticed loads and loads of poles shopping as well, all in large numbers.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

This time last week, all our favourite bars and restaurants were empty. A week ago last night, we instantly got a table in a local tapas bar that is normally rammed. Last night, we didn't bother because the wait would have been an hour and a half.

We've been observing this phenomenon for some months now - and it's a sign of complete financial incompetence and incontinence on behalf of the wage-slaved masses.

What a horrible way to subsist: blow your wage packet in the first half of the month and then spend the next two weeks thinking 'oh sh1t, how am I going to get by till the next instalment?'

I went out last night for a curry with me mum and the restaurant was packed - whereas a couple of weeks ago it was about half full.

Its quite interesting that we are all on the look out for this type of occurrence ;)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Dunno. I was in London yesterday and Oxford street was quite tame (this was after 12pm when it's usually heaving).

i was there between 3 and 6 and it was heaving- believe you me it was torture getting past everyone- i told my mate it didn't look like a recession was hitting the UK any time soon

HOLA4415

Getting to Malvern? I live there and a) it was sunny and b ) it was the Vintage Tractor show at the 3 Counties.

NOTHING SOLD HOUSE-WISE HERE! Although me and me dad bought a lovely International Harvestor 414 with loader. The farmers were all amazed at HOW CHEAP THE TRACTORS WERE GOING FOR. Normally the place is full of boomers buying toys but now nobody was bidding. A lovely 6-cylinder Ford FW30 for £8000? Bargain.

Malvern is awash with price drops Moosetea - as is Worcester (chav hell-hole) so don't make yourself look stupid/blind. Look on Reichmove if you want!

Off to drive said tractor now - "Er's luvely" as we say.

Edited by 29929BlackTuesday

HOLA4416

But Oldham was the same last Saturday. We went and parked on the multistorey and had to go to the top nearly to find a space. I have never seen it like that before, not even at Christmas. Found it hard to believe, and foolishly we went again yesterday and there was a queue all along the road before you got on to the multistorey car park so we just didnt bother.

Still got to get to bank though so will have to go in the week. Will be interested to see how busy the same car park is then.

Are people rejected the internet and going to the shops instead?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I think it could be spending like there is no tomorrow syndrome.

People at work say they know it is going to get bad later in the year, but they just want to carry on enjoying life while they can still afford to. Shopping, going on holiday etc.

HOLA4419

The Queensgate shopping centre in Peterborough was incredibly busy yesterday afternoon, however I did notice that most people didn't have any shopping bags, so I wonder how much business the shops actually did yesterday - the volume of visitors means naff all if they aren't spending.

HOLA4420

MOTHERS DAY?? :P:P:P:P:P

ABSOLUTELY to do with payday. I drive around Saturdays to do with work and always notice it on first saturday of month. Worse this time I guess cos January's is just to pay off Xmas debts.

In my neck of the woods shitty high streets (Gillingham, Dartford) and Bluewater (big shopping centre) all heaving and jams everywhere of depressed women. It wasnt card shops/chocolates for mothering sunday, it was the same old shit clothes shops in the bags.

Modern UK a nation of people honouring their mothers, or a nation high on mentalist shopping and poor financial abilities? Hmm I wonder. Mothers day, I ask you.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Easy explanation:

- Mothers day

- Weekend after pay day

The Asda by me was heaving with people round the flowers at the entrance.

I was in St Albans earlier in the day doing my bit for dear old mum (Leona Lewis CD :P) and it was busy, not overly so, but pretty busy.

But the streets of St Albans are narrow so you only need five people on the path and its busy.

HOLA4423

Sheeple don`t know how to engage with life in any other way now than to consume or be seem to consume. The movie "Dawn of the dead" will be seen as a prophecy in years to come (I suppose the original already is a prophecy) I might have imagined it, but people seem to be buying less.The sheeple will go through the motions right up until the ballifs burst through their new wooden door. They don`t know anything else.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Echoed. Exactly the same spending pattern observed in Portsmouth - my logic then becomes, ok I won't go out on these "rammed" weekends, but I will go out all the other weekends and expect cheaper drinks and cheaper entry to clubs, there by allowing me to go out more frequently :)