House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Laughing Gnome

House Building Numbers: How Are They Compiled?

Have read a lot of features about the housing supply shortage and how the nation needs

so many hundred thousand new homes anually just to replace those that are falling

down: like they do.

They the woefully inadequate new build statistics. Where do they come from?

In the last ten years just in my neighbourhood in Bournemouth about 100 additional dwellings

have been built. Flats yes, but also family and starter homes. Wherever two drives adjoined

or a corner plot back garden was big enough to justify the description the estate agents have

been making enquiries on behalf of developers and the area has become crammed to a

ridiculous degree.

From all I see, this has been happening across large parts of the country, but do these small

brownfield developments by private builders make the national statistics? My instinctive

judgement of the numbers says they don't, but I would like the actual facts. Anybody?

Have read a lot of features about the housing supply shortage and how the nation needs

so many hundred thousand new homes anually just to replace those that are falling

down: like they do.

They the woefully inadequate new build statistics. Where do they come from?

In the last ten years just in my neighbourhood in Bournemouth about 100 additional dwellings

have been built. Flats yes, but also family and starter homes. Wherever two drives adjoined

or a corner plot back garden was big enough to justify the description the estate agents have

been making enquiries on behalf of developers and the area has become crammed to a

ridiculous degree.

From all I see, this has been happening across large parts of the country, but do these small

brownfield developments by private builders make the national statistics? My instinctive

judgement of the numbers says they don't, but I would like the actual facts. Anybody?

There is not a housing shortage. There is enough to go round.

When estate agents and the like use this term, they are being a bit disingenuous.

At times demand to buy has outstripped supply for sale, for various reasons (BTL for example).

However this has now changed and at present supply exceeds demand so there is the opposite of a shortage.

There is not a housing shortage. There is enough to go round.

When estate agents and the like use this term, they are being a bit disingenuous.

At times demand to buy has outstripped supply for sale, for various reasons (BTL for example).

However this has now changed and at present supply exceeds demand so there is the opposite of a shortage.

I don't disagree Earl, all I see tells me there should be a considerable surplus.

Would just like to get a handle on how the figures are compiled. I suspect they

are ********, I would just like to know for sure!

Thanks Earl, spot on.

163 000 in 2006 doesn't seem enough to cover it, but indeed, the figures are

compiled from local authority reports, so hard to argue. I wonder if the change of

use caveat understates it, if perhaps all the brownfield stuff is excluded? I will

have to follow the links.

This annual 2006 compendium of statistics, published today, covers all aspects of housing and includes the following highlights:

* Over 163,000 new dwellings (excluding conversions and change of use) were completed in England during the financial year ending 31 March 2005, a rise of five per cent on the previous year. This is the fourth consecutive year where there has been a significant increase over the previous year. Overall there has been a 25 per cent increase since 2001-02.

1. Housing Statistics 2006 compiled by Communities and Local Government statisticians, can be obtained from TSO, Publication Centre from 14 December, PO Box 29, Norwich NR3 1GN or their website www.tso.co.uk/bookshop. Telephone orders 0870 600 5522, Fax orders 0870 600 5533. ISBN: 0117539724 Price £31. Alternatively, the electronic version can be found by going into the Communities website, select Housing, then Housing Statistics, followed by Housing Statistics by Topic, then Housing statistics annuals and occasional topic summaries, then Housing Statistics Annual. The full address is Housing statistics annuals.