House Price Crash Forum
HouseDog

Gordon Brown To Curb Second Home Ownership

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle3466783.ece [ 02.03.08]

THE government is preparing to impose drastic curbs on second home ownership that would stop people buying in sought-after rural areas.

An inquiry commissioned by Gordon Brown will recommend local authorities have the power to prevent outsiders buying property they do not intend to make their main residence. Those seeking to buy country boltholes that deprive local residents of houses would be forced to apply to the council.

They would have to win planning permission to change the house from fully occupied to a second home and could be refused by the council. The inquiry is also considering banning outsiders from buying newly built homes in such areas.

The move is likely to reduce the supply of houses in counties such as Corn-wall, Devon and Norfolk available for use as second homes and push up their price.

There are concerns it could lead to “snooping” by council officials investigating how homes are used. Up to half of all properties in the most sought-after villages belong to second home owners, leading to the closure of schools and shutting of public services outside peak season.

The inquiry will describe second home ownership as a serious concern and call for radical action. Matthew Taylor, the Liberal Democrat MP who was invited by Brown to do the review, said: “For the rural communities that are affected, this is a massive issue. This measure would allow local authorities to say that a property cannot be converted from a full-time home into a second home.

“In some communities, 30%, 40% or 50% of the village is dark most of the year. It raises huge issues for the sustainability of the community.”

'

Taylor, MP for Truro and St Austell, said the shortage of affordable housing in most rural areas was mainly due to an influx of former city-dwellers moving to the countryside permanently.

However, he described second home ownership as a “huge problem” for popular villages in areas such as his constituency, and the national parks in Yorkshire and the Lake District. Taylor, who will submit his report to Brown later this year, said the scheme could be piloted in areas worst hit by second home ownership before a decision was made about extending it nationwide.

The necessary legal changes could be introduced through amendments to the government’s planning bill. It would be up to councils to decide where to use the new powers. Restrictions would not apply to properties now being used as second homes.

----------------------------------------------

So whats in this for Brown?

Guest Bart of Darkness

I know what you're thinking. "Is this 10 years too late or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But seeing as this is the biggest bubble in history, and would blow your career six ways from Sunday, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, Gordon?

There are concerns it could lead to “snooping” by council officials investigating how homes are used.

Oh they love all that kind of stuff. Just ignore the fifteen year olds indulging in a bit of underage drinking, steep nimbly to avoid being run over but some neanderthal on a mini-scooter, ignore the verbal abuse from kids playing truant, you've got a REAL job to do. Checking if someone's using their own money to buy things they want. Be proud council officials, you're helping to make this great nation what it is today.

The necessary legal changes could be introduced through amendments to the government’s planning bill. It would be up to councils to decide where to use the new powers. Restrictions would not apply to properties now being used as second homes.

Does that mean that when the existing owners sell, they can sell to another second-home owner? Or, on the other hand, that they would, essentially, have to offer it on the local market, which would almost inevitably cause a knock-down of the price?

Second homes are more susceptible to changing needs than primary residences; and would, I think,probably change hands more often (though I don't know where one could find the statistics to back this up.)

If I had a second home I'd be shat-up by this and want to sell ASAP.

I can't afford a first home (well technically speaking I can AFFORD to buy one but to keep up the payments...?) so I am less than inclined to be upset for the Jamie Olivers in blacked-out Range Rovers who swan in for 2 weeks a year to patronise the Spar and eat in the now gastro-pub.

THE government is preparing to impose drastic curbs on second home ownership that would stop people buying in sought-after rural areas.

An inquiry commissioned by Gordon Brown will recommend local authorities have the power to prevent outsiders buying property they do not intend to make their main residence. Those seeking to buy country boltholes that deprive local residents of houses would be forced to apply to the council.

They would have to win planning permission to change the house from fully occupied to a second home and could be refused by the council. The inquiry is also considering banning outsiders from buying newly built homes in such areas.

The move is likely to reduce the supply of houses in counties such as Corn-wall, Devon and Norfolk available for use as second homes and push up their price.

There are concerns it could lead to “snooping” by council officials investigating how homes are used. Up to half of all properties in the most sought-after villages belong to second home owners, leading to the closure of schools and shutting of public services outside peak season.

The inquiry will describe second home ownership as a serious concern and call for radical action. Matthew Taylor, the Liberal Democrat MP who was invited by Brown to do the review, said: “For the rural communities that are affected, this is a massive issue. This measure would allow local authorities to say that a property cannot be converted from a full-time home into a second home.

“In some communities, 30%, 40% or 50% of the village is dark most of the year. It raises huge issues for the sustainability of the community.”

'

Taylor, MP for Truro and St Austell, said the shortage of affordable housing in most rural areas was mainly due to an influx of former city-dwellers moving to the countryside permanently.

However, he described second home ownership as a “huge problem” for popular villages in areas such as his constituency, and the national parks in Yorkshire and the Lake District. Taylor, who will submit his report to Brown later this year, said the scheme could be piloted in areas worst hit by second home ownership before a decision was made about extending it nationwide.

So whats in this for Brown?

Oh dear!

How typical of this useless govt to try and go down the enforcement route. Planning permission to :lol: convert :lol: a property from fully occupied to partially occupied? How would that work?

Banning outsiders from buying new homes? People wouldn't be able to relocate for a new job and locals would just flip for a huge profit on the open market.

Snooping on unlit homes? Human rights challenge about not being allowed to take a 3 month holiday in Dubai.

Just like all these key worker schemes it has all the makings of a calamity.

Being tough on second homes without being tough on the causes will not work. Adam Smith's economic men and the law of unintended consequences will always prevail.

How typical of this useless govt to try and go down the enforcement route. Planning permission to :lol: convert :lol: a property from fully occupied to partially occupied? How would that work?

It does seem like a recipe for corruption. Plenty of opportunity for planning officials receiving backhanders from people for all sorts of arrangements.

Oh dear!

Banning outsiders from buying new homes? People wouldn't be able to relocate for a new job and locals would just flip for a huge profit on the open market.

Snooping on unlit homes? Human rights challenge about not being allowed to take a 3 month holiday in Dubai.

Just like all these key worker schemes it has all the makings of a calamity.

Being tough on second homes without being tough on the causes will not work. Adam Smith's economic men and the law of unintended consequences will always prevail.

I agree what's the difference between a second home owner and a btl with a void? If it applies to popular rural areas should the same rules apply to city dwellers - don't MPs have London Town Houses plus homes in their constituencies? What happen's if an elderly relation dies and leaves you their house in the middle of nowhere? In Norfolk there are lovely properties with leases that state they must be used for agricultral purposes owned by city bankers with wives who care for a few chickens...

Does that mean that when the existing owners sell, they can sell to another second-home owner? Or, on the other hand, that they would, essentially, have to offer it on the local market, which would almost inevitably cause a knock-down of the price?

Second homes are more susceptible to changing needs than primary residences; and would, I think,probably change hands more often (though I don't know where one could find the statistics to back this up.)

Good point hadn't thought of that. Otherwise the proposal is pushing at an open door as I'm sure

peoples second homes are looking far less "essential" now that they are not making them huge

amounts of money as well as providing them with r&r.

Guest mattsta1964
I know what you're thinking. "Is this 10 years too late or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But seeing as this is the biggest bubble in history, and would blow your career six ways from Sunday, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, Gordon?

:lol::lol::lol::blink:

Agreed. What if you already live in a rural area and circumstances force you to take a job and lodge in the city? Are people in that position going to have to get a change of use on their main home? And if they don't, what's to stop a second-home buyer from moving in for a while and then moving out again?

The sad thing is, I bet these incompetent nitwits haven't even considered such cases.

This is a non-event like so many other launched by Gordon. It`s just media spin - most (if not all), of the schemes that NuLabour trot out haven`t been thought through, just sent on to some schmuck at a paper who `s trying to think of what new inane drivel to publish after Harry`s `glorious`(!!) return from [removed by moderator]land. What makes me laugh is that people actually go and BUY a newspaper when it`s free to read at local WHSmith, Waitrose, Tesco etc. :lol:

We`ve got Campaign for Real Ale - how about Campaign for Real News? :rolleyes:

This is a non-event like so many other launched by Gordon. It`s just media spin - most (if not all), of the schemes that NuLabour trot out haven`t been thought through, just sent on to some schmuck at a paper who `s trying to think of what new inane drivel to publish after Harry`s `glorious`(!!) return from [removed by moderator] land. What makes me laugh is that people actually go and BUY a newspaper when it`s free to read at local WHSmith, Waitrose, Tesco etc. :lol:

We`ve got Campaign for Real Ale - how about Campaign for Real News? :rolleyes:

Has anyone mentioned this over at the stinking pig??? It would be F00king hilarious if someone did, they are all starting to get a little panicky over there.

:lol::lol::lol:

Tampering and ultimately removing property rights is one of the main policies of communism. The nationalization of Northern Rock removed the property rights of shareholders. The banning of disciplining your children removed the rights of parents. The smoking ban removed the property rights of those who own private bars and clubs. The removal of property rights will always be justified as good for society in general, in other words, the group's rights will out way individual rights. Another word to describe this is collectivism.

The banning of second homes removes the property rights of those wishing to sell their houses to whomever they want to. So, another casualty of this "credit boom and bust" are property owners who will see their rights violated. The way to discourage second home ownership is the charge full council tax and (like they do in states) make them pay a very high premium for insurance as the house is unoccupied most of the time. The could also modify capital gains taxes.

Edited by Pluto

Restrictions would not apply to properties now being used as second homes.

If this proposal was to become policy will the above quote actually favour existing second home owners who will be able to sell at the market rate while penalising current home occupiers who will be unable to do so. The way this policy could be made to work is to make land available to build new homes in all these rural communities - stipulate now that these homes can only be sold to owner occupiers and have a clause in the lease that prevents the home either being sold on to second home owners or being left vacant for more than six months without being put on the market. Better still if the problem is affordability in these areas - why not build these homes and make them council houses... An increase in the population of non Boden wearing parents and children may even scare away some of the existing second home owners...

This is so flawed it is beyond parody.

What about yokel 1 selling to yokel 2 who then goes and rents in the city because he can't find work in yokel land?

Or yokel 3 who has 5 people lined up to buy his property but he's waiting on the BIP's (buyer information packs) to see whether any of the three is eligable?

Of course you didn't hear these bumpkins whining when they were turning huge profits on selling up their homes to outsiders but you'll certainly hear them if the metaphorical tap gets turned off.

Pointless PR stunt. He knows he is guilty of promoting the most dangerous and foolhardy bubble in economic history together with the awful social consequences brought about by allowing policies that have priced people out of living in their own towns and villages.

Gordon: TOO LITTLE FAR TOO LATE. The damage has been done. There will be plenty of cheap homes available soon as the market will take care of his folly.

Edited by Realistbear

Trouble is Tony is no longer in the passenger seat of the dual control learners car. Gordon has got his‘P plates and is putting his foot down on the accelerator in panic, to avoid the crash! He really needs to put his foot to the left a bit and onto the brake pedal! Gordon has tried swerving but the Armco barriers of reality are forcing him back onto the road and the oncoming traffic is getting really close.

When you see Gordons eyeballs start to pop out of his head you know that all he can see in front of him is the HGVs radiator....when his eyes go like slits you know he thinks he has spotted a slim gap to the left and he thinks he can get past, but I wonder what is swerving to the right to avoid piling into the back of the braking HGV and will soon be filling the gap that Gordon is aiming at....

Edited by id5

Ridiculous piece of spin. There's as much chance of this making into the legislative books as [note to self; insert witty inverse simile in final version].

Brown is great at spouting this sort of rubbish. Do you remember the "British jobs for British workers" tosh? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7097837.stm

Any sober reflection could see that there was no acceptable way of legislating that pledge, and the same goes for this second home posturing. As previous posters have said, there's a shedload of exceptions that would have to be considered and be excluded which would open up loopholes for the canny to exploit.

Still, it diverts attention from the news, so mission accomplished.

There are already new build housing estates in Cornwall with ownership restricted to locals - there was one near Wadebridge on Rightmove up until a few months ago, but I can't find it now so perhaps they have all sold. Also many of the rural exception developments for affordable (rental) housing around here (Wiltshire) generally have a couple of units for sale to locals only. But of course, this is all just pointless tinkering at the margins.

Swingeing council tax on mainly unoccupied second homes could help a bit I suppose, but you really can't blame the second home owners for the greed of the original local owners who sold to outsiders for the highest price possible in the first instance.

I can only see this as good for us. It is straight from the home of NuLab ineptitude and CLASS WAR - which is creeping back with a vengeance in policies and behaviours.

1. Second home owners will see average prices for, say Holt or St Austell drop massively and will sell now to cut their losses - increasing supply and so helping to lower prices for the locals (surely good)

2. It is a policy aimed at the Londoners with too much money and 4WDs - I quite like it actually

3. It is an own goal - would accelerate a crash as it would INCREASE supply overnight

4. Sometimes marxism is good. :blink:

Swingeing council tax on mainly unoccupied second homes could help a bit I suppose, but you really can't blame the second home owners for the greed of the original local owners who sold to outsiders for the highest price possible in the first instance.

If I can afford to keep a second home empty for much of the year I can afford to pay £2,000 a year in council tax on the place. Hell, it could probably be written off as tax deductable if I call the place a holiday home available for lettings (I've no idea if the second statement is true, just shooting from the hip).