House Price Crash Forum

Restaurant At The End Of The Housing Bubble

dog

HOLA441

The sense economic gloom so prevalent in the wider community is less evident on HPC. Having seen the tea leaves in the cup, most HPC members have mitigated their risks in anticipation of this outcome. The air around here is heavy with curiosity about the unfolded events and more than a hint of 'I told you so'.

How much damage has the house bubble done? Over the next few years, tales of personal woe are going to be legion. Repossessions are going to rocket and many front door keys will mysteriously appear in the night on lenders door mats. Today we had news of a large BTL company hitting the buffers. Unemployment is rising and personal bancrupcies are growing like clostridium dificile in an NHS hospital.

So what is the UK economy these days? A few people with buck teeth and four pens in their shirt pockets spout tripe about 'post industrial economies'. For 'post industrial economy' read shopping, house flipping, BTL and MEW. This is topped up with a bloated financial service sector living off the froth. Now that the bubble has burst how well will we cope? By default manufacturing is destined to become a bigger part of the story? The report below is a couple of years out of date but interesting nevertheless.

Manufacturing and Industry in the UK

Gross value added is falling

Manufacturing investment is falling

Productivity is 20% below France and Germany and 40% below the US.

Since the report was written the rot has continued and a further 600,000 manufacturing jobs have dissapeared. I suspect history will look back and conclude that the Britain's economic management during the period 1997 and 2007 as the worst for at least the past 50 years.

HOLA442
Guest Mr Parry
The sense economic gloom so prevalent in the wider community is less evident on HPC. Having seen the tea leaves in the cup, most HPC members have mitigated their risks in anticipation of this outcome. The air around here is heavy with curiosity about the unfolded events and more than a hint of 'I told you so'.

How much damage has the house bubble done? Over the next few years, tales of personal woe are going to be legion. Repossessions are going to rocket and many front door keys will mysteriously appear in the night on lenders door mats. Today we had news of a large BTL company hitting the buffers. Unemployment is rising and personal bancrupcies are growing like clostridium dificile in an NHS hospital.

So what is the UK economy these days? A few people with buck teeth and four pens in their shirt pockets spout tripe about 'post industrial economies'. For 'post industrial economy' read shopping, house flipping, BTL and MEW. This is topped up with a bloated financial service sector living off the froth. Now that the bubble has burst how well will we cope? By default manufacturing is destined to become a bigger part of the story? The report below is a couple of years out of date but interesting nevertheless.

Manufacturing and Industry in the UK

Gross value added is falling

Manufacturing investment is falling

Productivity is 20% below France and Germany and 40% below the US.

Since the report was written the rot has continued and a further 600,000 manufacturing jobs have dissapeared. I suspect history will look back and conclude that the Britain's economic management during the period 1997 and 2007 as the worst for at least the past 50 years.

Hello Dog,

There is no way out for the UK, but apparently there is a way out of the UK.

An MD of a large regen firm told me on Tuesday that the senior consultant of probably the biggest regen consultancy in the UK has moved with his wife, who is in the same industry to Thailand. They've set up over there, like I have.

Everything's moving East.

Won't be long until Eurpeans and Americans are classed as 'economic migrants'.

HOLA443
Hello Dog,

There is no way out for the UK, but apparently there is a way out of the UK.

An MD of a large regen firm told me on Tuesday that the senior consultant of probably the biggest regen consultancy in the UK has moved with his wife, who is in the same industry to Thailand. They've set up over there, like I have.

Everything's moving East.

Won't be long until Eurpeans and Americans are classed as 'economic migrants'.

It won't be long before I join you as well.

HOLA444

I read posts that often mention leaving the uk because there is this wrong with it or that wrong with it (insert whatever you wish i.e. weather, high costs high crime etc) all of which of course is true. However, moving East is not always the panacea or the nirvanah that you might think it is. There are difficulties and miseries and many frustrations to overcome sometimes more horrible, frustrating and more difficult than in the uk,. I speak from some experience having lived and worked and raised babies in quite a few countries in South East Asia for the past twelve years.

Would also like to add that it can also be lots of fun and very stimulating from time to time.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Very true. It's not really about STR, and whether one called the top too early.

The winners will be those that have taken the time to position themselves in a way that takes account of the end of easy credit and an economic downturn. Any fall in the cost of shelter will be an extra bonus. I suspect though, that it will be those with sustainable employment, affordable lifestyles and low levels of debt that come out of this best. Those in that position can certainly watch events pan out without panicking.

Enjoy your seat (willan on-enjoy) while watching (willing watchen) the whole of creation explode.

HOLA448
HOLA449
I ve got the best seat in the 5 star restaurant at the end of the housing bubble - I ve reserved a prime spot to watch the universe-sized bubble implode in one fantastic spectacle.

Its too late for some - all seats are now reserved!

restaurant3.jpg

Rubbish.

You can arrive (mayan arivan on-when) for any sitting you like without prior (late fore-when) reservation because you can book retrospectively, as it were when you return to your own time. (you can have on-book haventa forewhen presooning returningwenta retrohome.)

(Nice pic) :)

HOLA4410
Guest Bart of Darkness
Its too late for some - all seats are now reserved!

What about poor old Zarquon? Surely there's room for him?

200px-Zarquon.jpg

HOLA4411
HOLA4412