House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
US Citizen

Woolworths - Dead Cat Bounce

There are very few companies out there that I actually give a stuff about. Of course I care about my own and I also care for those who have done business with me over the past decade or so.

Woolworths is one such company, I am very pleased that this years losses are a few million less than last year.

The reason why Woolworths is losing so much money around is because they are fighting to save British Jobs in the retail sector. Many of you who know me, know that I work in ecommerce and the woolworths website, well, thats me babes. But back on track, for all of the slating Woolworths has got in the past few years in this difficult time, they refuse to pull out of the UK & France, where their losses are most because of they believe in their staff and they have faith in the British public to pay a fair price for their products.

As I have already said this to Richard North, profitablilty will be felt by investing online, and not in large retail parks. Do you know what his repley was :

"Yes, but we will not make our loyal staff redundant, just to be more profitable".

When faced with a Chairman like this you realise, the staff at Woolworths either have a Philatrapist or a Madman at the helm, I hope things work out for Woolworths and they can make a dead cat bounce.

Its a pity the Goverment arent stepping in to prop up the company like they are doing with Northern Rock, but then decent people never get what they deserve, just those robbing dog, banks.

</rant>

Had to get it off my chest.

Edited by debt-free

Guest muttley
"Yes, but we will not make our loyal staff redundant, just to be more profitable".

I wonder if he'll tell that to the shareholders at the AGM.

I wonder if he'll tell that to the shareholders at the AGM.

He probably would and he would be canned for it too. To an investor, you couldnt have shares or stock in a worse company except perhaps Northern Rock, yoy losses.

The problems is their market has dissapeared beneath them and instead of using moving forward and using their largest assest to gain new business and keep existing business, they have decided to get in to bruising street fight which they cant win and sooner or later, they will lose backing from their finacial backers, which take it from me, are losing patience.

We could be looking at another C & A

Everywhere in the world but here.

best way to reward staff is to remain in business.

has he been in the job long?

woollies used to be lovely places, now they are overblown cornershops.

He has been in the job for 18 months and was brought in to get the country(freudian slip), Company, back under control.

I dont know if he can pull it off. The only way Woolies will be back to profitability is if they pull out of the UK & France or do it my bloody way and increase internet spending.

We'll see !

Edited by debt-free

He has been in the job for 18 months and was brought in to get the country(freudian slip), Company, back under control.

I dont know if he can pull it off. The only way Woolies will be back to profitability is if they pull out of the UK & France or do it my bloody way and increase internet spending.

We'll see !

Have another word in his ear.

Have another word in his ear.

I (The business), are no longer contracted with them, it has been subcontracted elsewhere, so unfortunatly any brief influence I did have has evaporated, all 5 minutes worth.

I am off to China, to new things and better money.

It's rare a company would put people before profit.

Shame they chose such a w@nky Bank.

See my post above, when I said

...they will lose backing from their finacial backers, which take it from me, are losing patience.

It's the product lines and the brands chosen for sale.

It tends to be too little of too many areas (CD's, DVD's, games, cards etc).

Whereas some areas have good stuff (cards) and it works, some areas (car electrical products or gifts) have a high amount of cheapo made in china tat which is cheap, but quickly breaks or underperforms and makes you wish you had spent the extra fiver in Halfords or whatever.

Just my tuppence.

PM me with my million bonus for sorting Woolies out Mr CEO.

TFH

It's the product lines and the brands chosen for sale.

It tends to be too little of too many areas (CD's, DVD's, games, cards etc).

Whereas some areas have good stuff (cards) and it works, some areas (car electrical products or gifts) have a high amount of cheapo made in china tat which is cheap, but quickly breaks or underperforms and makes you wish you had spent the extra fiver in Halfords or whatever.

Just my tuppence.

PM me with my million bonus for sorting Woolies out Mr CEO.

TFH

I have to agree, the Preston store is one of the largest on the high street and it is full of stock. This may sound stange or it may not, theres nothing to buy that you want.

Its fine it you want to buy your grannie a garden trowl and seed plant for £7-95 that falls apart in 5 minutes, or if you want a box set for £2.00 more than Asda (which they supply by the way).

We need the M&S touch, bring on Noemie Lenoir .

noemie_lenoir_150.jpg