House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Dow Tanking

Let's see if the HPC contrarian indicator works again. On previous form, once someone mentions the Dow tanking, it's a good time to buy.

Though it's still unclear why people are so fascinated by the Dow. The stock markets pretty much halved between 2000 and 2003. House prices rocketed.

The FTSE is one big Dow trackers despite what all these City boys say about them being gurus... Usually if the Dow tanks on Friday night in the US the FTSE does the same on Monday morning in the UK... and if the FTSE tanks then the BOE gets worried about the corporates and people start shouting for IR cuts... Don't really want the FTSE tanking a few days before a BOE decision....

Let's see if the HPC contrarian indicator works again.

I'll stick my neck out and propose that ... 'this time it's different' :P

I'd say Helicopter Ben's wings are now being comprehensively clipped by the falling dollar. My guess is, if he repeats one of his frivolous rate cuts solely aimed at steming a stock market fall, the dollar will be slaughtered. :ph34r:

Fell free to flame me when I'm proved wrong.

Just for fun...

Will Today Get Ranked?

DJIA Days with Greatest Net Loss

Rank Date Close Net Change

1 09/17/2001 8920.70 -684.81

2 04/14/2000 10305.77 -617.78

3 10/27/1997 7161.15 -554.26

4 08/31/1998 7539.07 -512.61

5 10/19/1987 1738.74 -508.00

6 03/12/2001 10208.25 -436.37

7 02/27/2007 12216.24 -416.02

8 07/19/2002 8019.26 -390.23

9 08/09/2007 13270.68 -387.18

10 09/20/2001 8376.21 -382.92

I'll look at a few charts then get my pencil and ruler out and draw some imaginary support lines then i'll look at the 200 day moving average , take a guess where it might bounce back up and just generally make it up .

I'll look at a few charts then get my pencil and ruler out and draw some imaginary support lines then i'll look at the 200 day moving average , take a guess where it might bounce back up and just generally make it up .

You a hedge fund manager? :unsure:

The end of what?

The CDS chickens are coming home to roost. Or more likely, to be slaughtered.

"Wall Street took a downward turn as reports began to emerge that a plan to bail out Ambac, led by a number of financial institutions including Royal Bank of Scotland and Barclays, had hit problems.

If the banks fail to rescue Ambac they will potentially be left making even more writedowns on sub-prime backed assets because the bond insurer may not have enough funds to satisfy large claims on toxic securities. "

Edited by fumble

Yeah, where is it? Is the PPT away for the weekend already?

Bl00dy bureaucrats! :lol:

Goldfinger, we all know, even you, that the Dow will rally on Monday. Its the same old story.

A bank has to writedown a lot of money (lets just toss off a few billion this week to the stock exchange and SEC), then the dow tanks, by Monday after a few bad takeaways, dining at Dorsiers and a hooker or two later, they are back to ramping up the market.

Edited by debt-free

They can't let the monoline insurers go under so the banks have to finance a rescue option. Surely, as soon as another rescue package is annouced the Dow will soar again?

What is the number one qualification for working in Wall St or the City - spine removal?

Mr. Market threw a tantrum. He wants more cash for equities, more rate cuts for banks, and the IMF to pony up the Gold for the dollar. Until then he is going to pi$$ on everyones parade.

Edited by Pluto

Yeah, where is it? Is the PPT away for the weekend already?

Oh they were there, just when needed. It was starting a big move down at the end and surprise surprise this was pegged back then followed by a 50 point rally to cap a bad day and stop it from being a very bad day.

In all this crisis there has not been a day where panic has set in (been allowed to), quite amazing. The only time they got caught short was this time last year when it plunged 200 points in 10 minutes. They have been completely on top of it since the credit crunch. Sometimes it is major intervention other times it is a little point scoring like today with the up kick at the end preventing panic on Monday.

Monday will arrive with the FTSE reaching an intra day low around 11am-12pm, then it will start to recover on the back of DOW futures then there will be a battle all day with a relatively flat finish for the DOW.

Alternatively the market could decide this is the time and we get the crash it is trying for, but I think there are too few individual investors and thinkers for the DOW to do this. The lunatics are in charge of the asylum at the moment! :ph34r:

Picture1.jpg

post-6129-1204320470_thumb.jpg