House Price Crash Forum

Estate Agents Franchise Collapses

HOLA441

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/displayNode...;pNodeId=144922

ESTATE AGENTS FRANCHISE COLLAPSES
27 February 2008
A Bristol estate agent franchise has collapsed with the loss of 50 jobs.
Oliver Scarlett, a franchise for the nationwide chain of estate agents Your Move, called in administrators yesterday.

http://www.thisishampshire.net/news/romsey...uts_up_shop.php

Estate agency shuts up shop
GOADSBY'S estate agency has become the latest commercial business to close in Romsey since the start of the year.
The company, which has offices throughout Dorset and South West Hampshire, has shut its premises in The Hundred, although no one was available to comment on the closure at its head office in Bournemouth.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...bcnright129.xml

Estate agents target lettings to avoid closures
By Emma Thelwell
Last Updated: 10:34am GMT 29/02/2008
Estate agents are stepping up their presence in the lettings market as they seek to avoid closing branches as sales slow, according to one of Britain's largest property websites.

http://www.bexhillobserver.net/479/Estate-...sure.3806727.jp

Estate agent's sudden closure
Ward and Partners in Hastings
By The Observer
A Hastings estate agent has ceased trading.
Staff at Wards and Partners in Havelock Road were told to clear their desks without warning on Thursday, acording to a source.
The shops in Bexhill and Little Common have also closed.

http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/news/2018/20...othing_sinister

Estate agents - office closure is ‘nothing sinister’
A Wokingham estate agent has spoken out to reassure concerned landlords and tenants, who claim they are owed thousands of pounds.

Sadly, we will be seeing many more added to the list as the crash deepens. :( *

* :lol:

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Let us not forget last month's bigee:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle3129239.ece

The TimesJanuary 4, 2008
Fears of big cutbacks for estate agents as LSL closes branchesJudith Heywood, Deputy Property Editor
One of the country’s largest estate agents
yesterday announced the loss of hundreds of jobs
, sparking fears that the property slowdown will force wholesale restructuring in the rest of the industry.
LSL Property Services, owner of the 290 Your Move offices, revealed that it had closed 12 branches and cut 315 full-time jobs across its surveying and estate agency businesses, after house sales fell in a weakening property market.
The cuts are the first large-scale redundancies in the sector, which employs
, since the property slowdown began late last year.

Its going to be carnage this Spring as EAs find themsleves without anything to do other than to sit at their desks faking phonecalls.

HOLA447
HOLA448

In my area the weekly paper used to have 52 pages of Estate Agent's full colour adverts every week.Now since Christmas,they all advertise fortnightly.They have all agreed to stick together.

This week the paper has an article from the Editor saying "Due to the present market some of the estate agents have decided to reduce their advertising spending and that is why the guide is not as comprehensive as normal "

Clearly they are all tightening their belts in view of the downturn

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Why is this sad? Please explain?

The housing boom has generated a massive over-supply of estate agents across the country.

These people don't do anything, produce anything or make any kind of contribution to our society. To have so many parasites leeching off the public is a complete waste of resources.

The more that disappear, the happier I'll be!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Why is this sad? Please explain?

The housing boom has generated a massive over-supply of estate agents across the country.

These people don't do anything, produce anything or make any kind of contribution to our society. To have so many parasites leeching off the public is a complete waste of resources.

The more that disappear, the happier I'll be!

We can add them to the list of , Coffee shops , phone shops and the explosion of fast food outlets contributing zilch to our economy and wellbeing !

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The EAs that will not join this list will be the ones who are able to convince vendors to drop their prices enough to secure a sale.

Over time the effect will be that overall EAs will get more bearish, because the ones that are not will go bust!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I've taken to standing outside my estate agent, looking at properties feigning interest, then pointing at one, bursting out laughing and walking on...sad, I know, but I think baiting them is so much fun...I will start registering soon and make a few mock offers for 30% off market price.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
  • 1 year later...
HOLA4422

It's highly likely we see a lot more of this in the coming 12-18 months. I know of several franchised estate agencies which are currently teetering on the edge. The problem with this business model is that there is not a great deal of room for expansion and change in difficult economic times. Where do you develop from there? A shop can stock new and different produce however a house is a house whichever way you want to dress it up.

Matthew Anderson - business franchise consultant

HOLA4423
In my area the weekly paper used to have 52 pages of Estate Agent's full colour adverts every week.Now since Christmas,they all advertise fortnightly.They have all agreed to stick together.

This week the paper has an article from the Editor saying "Due to the present market some of the estate agents have decided to reduce their advertising spending and that is why the guide is not as comprehensive as normal "

Clearly they are all tightening their belts in view of the downturn

Funny - I could have sworn that I keep hearing that we were in the middle of a spring bounce. :lol:

Gotta go - off to study once again the finer differences between a 'dead cat bounce' and a 'bull trap'

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
It's highly likely we see a lot more of this in the coming 12-18 months. I know of several franchised estate agencies which are currently teetering on the edge. The problem with this business model is that there is not a great deal of room for expansion and change in difficult economic times. Where do you develop from there? A shop can stock new and different produce however a house is a house whichever way you want to dress it up.

Matthew Anderson - business franchise consultant

I'll give you some highly valuable PR consulting for free: make your website less of a busy-eyed nightmare.