House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FriendsofDerek

Ghost Development.... Something Odd Is Going On

Note sure whats going on.

There is a george wimpey development near me that I drive past on my way to work. I'd looked into it last spring when they opened the sales portacabin. Prices were about 80k more than they should have been for the area and the development work seemed to take a long time to get started. Even now only 4 houses look near to completion ( two look like showhomes) and none have people moved in.

They are not building any other new houses beyond the foundations.

I thought i would check and see if they'd dropped the prices again to combat the market. Prices started at 285,000 and then got dropped to 265,000 and upwards. It was the Grange ( luxury 4-5 bed houses) in Summerston/Glasgow

But all mention of the development is gone from the wimpey website. A websearch found a link saying it was closed:

http://www.newhomesforsale.co.uk/developme.../The-Grange.php

What is really odd is that there is still George-Wimpey branding on the site and a small number of workers, but only foundation work.

Not quite sure what to make of it; is this what they do when they mothball a site? Trouble in paradise?

Maybe they've found something thats stopped the development, though its a greenfield site so that seems unlikely.

Note sure whats going on.

After a bit of a search they put an amendment to the planning permission into the local council last year to change the types of houses they were allowed to build.

Sudden realisation that we need some 3 bed and semi's perhaps?

PP given for houses and flats next to the canal close to where I live - over a year later nothing done apart from put in kerbstones on small bit of access road.

I know developers have finally bought the wonky house opposite the papershop - next to their 2 sets of 4 flats - so can go ahead and build some more. But they've still got at least 3 unsold appartments.

The St marys development up in Oldham has been put on hold.

But there are still swathes of new housing going up in Chadderton. Tons of it.

Large Barratt development near me in Derbyshire has been "coming soon" for nearly a year now. It's a brownfield site and nothing has been done to clear the site, let alone start building.

There is a george wimpey development near me that I drive past on my way to work. I'd looked into it last spring when they opened the sales portacabin. Prices were about 80k more than they should have been for the area and the development work seemed to take a long time to get started. Even now only 4 houses look near to completion ( two look like showhomes) and none have people moved in.

Sadly it turns out this is nothing to do with house prices making the estate to hard to sell :(

My wife talked to someone who'd bought one of the houses who is living in rented accomodation unable to move in. While she wasn't willing to say exactly what the problem was something had been discovered that had forced them to stop development until it was sorted and there was no timescales for how quickly it could be sorted.

The area had a lot of coal mines in the past so i'd guess they've found the site is on a mine shaft that needs to be filled.