House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

Estate Agents Target Lettings To Avoid Closures

Estate agents are stepping up their presence in the lettings market as they seek to avoid closing branches as sales slow, according to one of Britain's largest property websites
with average time spent on the market before selling continues at a record high - of 93 days compared to 78 days a year ago. But this is good news for Rightmove, which ramped up its advertising prices for agents by 35pc last month, from £250 to £325 per month.

discuss

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...bcnright129.xml

This is what they did last time. Before the early 80's crash, letting agents were mainly small independent operations. The EA's diversified and ate most of them up. This served them well, particually as changes to rules governing LLs (Assured Shortholds), kicked of the BTL and the RTB (rent to buy) market.

But thats the point. They have already done it. The letting agent market is already full.

EA's are toast, and lettings will not save them this time.

But thats the point. They have already done it. The letting agent market is already full.

EA's are toast, and lettings will not save them this time.

We might soon see some EA offices with tables outside there doors selling bric 'a' brac and 2nd hand books .

a letting agent near me recently moved into selling houses. Isn't there a lot more to earn in selling rather than letting, just going on what I've picked up from talking to letting agents.

a letting agent near me recently moved into selling houses. Isn't there a lot more to earn in selling rather than letting, just going on what I've picked up from talking to letting agents.

not when they can't sell

I did some shopping in Kettering the other week and the W H Brown office had taken all its houses for sale cards

out the window and put cards up advertising rentals. The whole window. Which was nice.

the best one is in chorley where every inch of the window is taken up with lettings.

however, all the letting cards have NO PETS, NO SMOKERS, NO CHILDREN in huge bold typeface.

an ugly sign of the times if there ever was one.

naturally, the place is empty of tenant volunteers to be hitler'ed in your home by some btl *****ers.

the best one is in chorley where every inch of the window is taken up with lettings.

however, all the letting cards have NO PETS, NO SMOKERS, NO CHILDREN in huge bold typeface.

Put a brick through it. Because you're worth it.

* however, all the letting cards have NO PETS, NO SMOKERS, NO CHILDREN in huge bold typeface.*(

This is what makes me nuts - and i guess i now realize why - we are trying to rent and can find NO landlord who will accept a labrador retriever and a declawed cat ( this is the way we found him ) - It seems like in the UK either you are in financial straits and use council housing or the only option is a BTL who only wants the easiest/safe renter. We have offered deposits - steamcleaning ect.

not even children WTF ? I understand concern - but if they take a damage deposit whats the risk?

In the US , they have apartment buildings which are run by private companies -almost all allow pets and even....CHILDREN !

we wouldnt be so fooked here if there was more of a middle ground for people to rent.

Wals