House Price Crash Forum
crown

Boe Mortgage Approvals Out 9.30 29th Feb

lowest Jan going back to 2002 can't be bothered to go further back.

Lower than the important years of 04/05 when the market last slowed during a boom.

Lower than the important years of 04/05 when the market last slowed during a boom.

Worst 3 months ever.

Equal worst month ever with Jan 99. Even the mid 90's weren't quite as bad.

And hasn't lending tightened since then crown? :(

Edited by bobthe~

Hands up who thinks we are about to experience a spring bounce?

Well I have been noticing more houses under offer round our way, but there are still price drops going on.

There will be more activity, but not a bounce IMO.

2008 may turn out to be the ugliest year economically the world has experienced in a very long time. The collapse of Gordon's miracle is happening at a very high rate of speed. There is perhaps no worse place to be financially than in property which could see upwards of 40% wiped off values this year alone.

All of the poisons that have been lying in the mud are hatching out all over the place now. :o

Sterling is now just a kiss away of breaking down below 1.30:

GBPEUR=X 1 29 Feb 1.3042

Guest The_Oldie
Hands up who thinks we are about to experience a spring bounce?

I'll put my hand up for that one, houses always sell better in the spring and summer as that's when most people seem to want to move. So, yes, sales in the spring will probably be numerically up on winter sales.

Price, though, is a different matter ;).

Well I have been noticing more houses under offer round our way, but there are still price drops going on.

There will be more activity, but not a bounce IMO.

What did the Express report late last year? 100 days to save the housing market.

If they don't manage to re-inflate very soon, this spring will definitely be RIP.

I think the Tripartite Authorities have realised that any fix to this credit drought will be too late for property now.

Maybe they'll remain strong, and look long term.

I'll put my hand up for that one, houses always sell better in the spring and summer as that's when most people seem to want to move. So, yes, sales in the spring will probably be numerically up on winter sales.

Price, though, is a different matter ;).

Not this spring. Lenders were still offering 125% in winter. Now they are moving ever lower.

There might be more interest, but I can't see there being more activity, the moneylenders have taken an axe to the bottom of the market - FTB/BTL.

FTB properties will fall 20% + this year.

I was hoping for a drop on last month but the figures are looking very bad.

This time in 2005 the BoE/Government did the unthinkable and reinflated the bubble. be vigilant. We are not there yet (but we are close)

What did the Express report late last year? 100 days to save the housing market.

If they don't manage to re-inflate very soon, this spring will definitely be RIP.

I think the Tripartite Authorities have realised that any fix to this credit drought will be too late for property now.

Maybe they'll remain strong, and look long term.

As Jesse from the Fast Show would say

This Spring I will be wearing one of these.

Edited by barry

Sorry to be a pedant RB, but 'poisons' don't actually hatch. They just kill people :)

How about "Chickens are hatching in the mud which, due to increased energy costs, are likely to be served under-cooked, thereby poisoning people"?

How about "Chickens are hatching in the mud which, due to increased energy costs, are likely to be served under-cooked, thereby poisoning people"?

That's what I thought RB meant.

Reuters spin:

UK January mortgage approvals unexpectedly up

LONDON (Reuters) - British mortgage approvals unexpectedly picked up in January from a series low, but mortgage lending rose at its weakest rate in two and a half years, according to Bank of England data on Friday.

The BoE said there were 74,000 mortgage approvals for house purchase last month, up from a downwardly revised 72,000 in December. That figure had been the lowest since current records began in 1999.

Analysts had expected a reading of 70,000 and the surprise pick up in the forward looking indicator for the housing market brings an end to a run of seven months of declines in approvals.

The figures, although still historically weak, suggest the housing market could be stabilising after several months of cooling house price inflation and declining mortgage approvals.

...which could see upwards of 40% wiped off values this year alone.

indeed, property COULD lose 40%, 50%, 80% even...but not likely. Nothing like over-hyped speculation to create a bit of excitement eh. By the way, is the "Realist" in your id sarcasm?

indeed, property COULD lose 40%, 50%, 80% even...but not likely. Nothing like over-hyped speculation to create a bit of excitement eh. By the way, is the "Realist" in your id sarcasm?

Is the "sign" in your id because it's a sign you are gay. :P

Edited by pablovblack

... 04/05 January was low because many lenders had not managed to get their products in place to match the criteria set by the then new regulator the FSA....what good have they done....? ... <_<

Is the "sign" in your id because it's a sign you are star.

erm, no. Judging by your response I think we can all tell your intellectual capacity and your overall maturity level though.