House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ash4781

Consumer Confidence At 13-year Low

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iy...wvK-iqE__PQFDRw

Consumer confidence at 13-year low

14 hours ago

Soaring fuel and home energy prices have helped sink consumer confidence to a 13-year low, a survey has revealed.

The GfK NOP barometer of UK confidence scored minus 17 this month, down four points from January and the lowest level since December 1994.

In a further sign of a spending slowdown, the appetite for buying big ticket items such as fridges and washing machines was the weakest for nearly 18 years.

GfK spokeswoman Rachael Joy said rising petrol costs and heating bills were squeezing household budgets despite this month's interest rate cut, the second in two months.

She said: "Consumers are feeling a little less confident about their own personal finances and much less confident about the general economy as a whole.

"This may have been fuelled by the wide reporting on a housing market slowdown, high fuel and energy prices and rising food prices.

"These factors all squeeze budgets, causing consumers to be much less confident about making major purchases."

Prices at the petrol pumps have reached record levels this year and hit a new high on Monday, according to the AA.

Average petrol prices across the UK were 104.85p a litre, the motoring organisation said, compared with just 87.27p a litre a year ago.

And millions of households have also been hit with double digit increases in gas and electricity prices from suppliers such as British Gas and npower during the past two months.

Edited by Ash4781

Average petrol prices across the UK were 104.85p a litre, the motoring organisation said, compared with just 87.27p a litre a year ago.

...this report was dated fifteen hours ago ....if I paid 111.9 at Tescos in Cheshire yesterday who is getting it wrong ..? ..are the motoring organisations involved in a cover up ....? ......if diesel was say 90 this time last year...that's an increase of approx 25%...!.. so much for 2% inflation ....!....<_<

...this report was dated fifteen hours ago ....if I paid 111.9 at Tescos in Cheshire yesterday who is getting it wrong ..? ..are the motoring organisations involved in a cover up ....? ......if diesel was say 90 this time last year...that's an increase of approx 25%...!.. so much for 2% inflation ....!....<_<

It is between 104 and 106 round our way.

And is the subtext of the article that if only the meeja wouldn't report a slowing housing market and petrol and food going up, somehow we wouldn't notice? :lol:

I would think the banks tightening their mortgage criteria would do for the housing market on its own.

I noticed a twin pack of plain chocholate McVities are now 2.15 in Tescos up from 1.99 a few months ago. That's up 7% in line with REAL inflation.

BTW, I tried some plain chocolate biscuits with the Waitrose brand and actually preferred them. 89p for a slightly smaller packet. Save a few p here and there. Every little helps.

Edited by Realistbear

I noticed a twin pack of plain chocholate McVities are now 2.15 in Tescos up from 1.99 a few months ago. That's up 7% in line with REAL inflation.

BTW, I tried some plain chocolate biscuits with the Waitrose brand and actually preferred them. 89p for a slightly smaller packet. Save a few p here and there. Every little helps.

Are you fat? I've noticed quite a few references to biscuits over the years.

2 litres of organic milk in Tesco Express up from 81p to 98p over the last few months.

I'm a consumer. But, referring to the title of this thread, my confidence is not at a 13 year low. In fact I'm confident that if I want to buy back into the property market in a year or two, I'll be able to even further justify my decision to STR in late 2003. At the moment I reckon I'm about 30k up on the deal.