House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dubai

Google Earth.... Anyone Know What These Things Are?

Weird.... or lots'n'lots of fish farms? There are millions of them!!

Look at the Lat / Long, fly there and pan out.....

Uh_.jpg

post-7749-1204259603_thumb.jpg

If it was irrigation, surely they would be closer together to conserve water pumping pressure? If you look closely some of them seem to suggest a conical shape, with a peak in the centre. Maybe this is where they weather-test sun shades?

It is a common irrigation method in dry parts.

A big pipe/sprinkler system goes around a central hub where the water is pumped into the pipe. The central area will receive the most consistent water as ground flow and wind will rob the edges of some water. Famers can only irrigate their own lands - I'm not sure about ownership laws in Saudi. Otherwise they're after underground water or good soil.

Guest Skint Academic
I think they could be patches or irrigated land. Imagine a big hose on wheels gradually goes around a central point irrigating the land beneath.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure I have a picture of it in my book "Orbit" which has photos from, guess what, the orbit of the earth.

EDIT: Page 66

Each of these green circles is 200 acres of farmland. A deep well in the center of each circle pumps water from 1,000 to 4,000 feet underground.The Saudis can grow wheat and animal feed 250 miles from the Red Sea because of a large capital investment for roads, wells, irrigation equipments, seeds, fertilizer, and power. Desalination plants treat the hot, mineralized water before it is sprayed on the crops.

Center-pivot irrigation began in earnest in the early 1980's. By early 1989 astronaut photography showed that the area under cultivation had tripled. The number of farms continues to grow despite a plague of desert locusts in 1993.

Saudi Arabia is the only major country in the Middle East with a surplus of food. Scientists are not sure how long the deep underground reservoirs of water will last, but estimates are in the range of 50 years.

That is ... Art!

Saw these in a sunday supplement colour mag yonks ago, didn't know it was a goer, must be a lot more groundwater than they thought at the time. I thought it was just one of those far-out Raymond Baxter-type items, like osmotic breather membranes for building undersea cities and, er, jetpacks.

Looks absolutely fantastic. Now, how about covering Blighty in Eden-Project style domes?

wsci_03_img0398.jpgFig3_12.gif

Good pics Wario.... thanks.

Have any of you "flown over" on Google Earth? There are far, far more than on the illustrative pic I posted.... it really is awesome.

Click on the link, squint your eyes and stare for approx 30 secs. I swear it`s an image of Bin Laden.

Anyone got a light? :)

They've got them in the USA as well. They may have even more than the Saudis do: a large part of Colorado/Kansas/Nebraska's covered in them:

Blobs.jpg

It really is like something out of a science-fiction book.

post-3600-1204333538_thumb.jpg

They've got them in the USA as well. They may have even more than the Saudis do: a large part of Colorado/Kansas/Nebraska's covered in them:

Blobs.jpg

It really is like something out of a science-fiction book.

That's strange.... they look like they're in established fields.... why would they do that (unless it's a super productive farming method)?

Really fascinating..... never saw that on Tomorrows World (and here's a pen.... with a clock in it!)

I guess it basically comes down to the fact that (in the USA at least) land is plentiful, but water isn't, so the most effective irrigation method is chosen.

In this country, where the land is a premium, but irrigation is less of an issue (to a certain extent) the crops go right up to the edges of the field boundaries.

I met an American farmer on a train in the States last year, the size of land that he farmed was massive in comparison to the amount an average farmer would have here - although on reflection, I wonder how much of it was actually farmed, and how much of it left unirrigated...

Try this download from google comunites, it maps thousands of SAM sites. It is interesting to see the amount of SAM sites removed from West German on the US/NATO side and the amount moved from Eastern Europe by the Russians/Wasa Pact replaced with a huge build up of new SAM sites located in the middle east, it really shows how the geopolitical strategy has completely shifted.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.ph.../Number/406094/