House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dom

Expats Struggle To Sell In Spain.

The confidence we British had about living in Spain has to some extent vanished,for the time being. The rise of the value € v £ making the cost of living for pensioners who will now find their pensions will not stretch as far as it used too and those dependent for their income from the UK too therefore living in Spain is not going to be as comfortable as they had anticipated.

Alongside the deprecation in the value of properties and the depressed property market in general, crime, the isolation and the pressure of feeling trapped will outweigh all the assets of their Spanish living, such as, the quality of life, excellent health service and the joys of Spanish culture.

A sizeable proportion of the relocates to Spain are and will be pensioners who if they need to return to the UK in a hurry or if the executors have to sale the property in the event of a death are going to encounter considerable problems selling the property and many will have to reduce the property so considerably to enable a sale.

Only today banks are warning their customers that the cost of borrowing is now not going to easy or cheap, so the heady days of property investment and overstretching your mortgage to fit the property of your dreams is well and truly over, until we recover from the shock, of counse. But like everything `what goes round, comes round´ just we just need to keep your nerve while all around is loosing theirs.......

"no wonder who wants to live in Playa Flamenca no offence to you but its a sh1t hole i lived there for 6 months and moved away, good luck with the sale."

*veers off topic*

What a wonderful demonstration of what happens to the perception of areas in price-falley times. I'd be willing to be Playa Flamenca was perfectly 'popular' during the boom over there, not because it was any good, but because it was cheap enough to buy in.

Hmm... why can't I get the word 'Basingstoke' out of my head?

It´s not just Spain, it´s everywhere. As has been repeated ad infinitum on this forum, it´s forced sellers who bring prices down anywhere. Those of you who´ve read my posts know I´ve had a flat for sale for ages and have even had offers that I have refused. But I can afford to be choosey because I don´t have a mortgage on it (I hate banks!) and August rentals (from the Spanish) cover the costs.

People who haven´t done their research about the country or who have over stretched themselves have no one else to blame when things go wrong. "A fool and as his money are lucky enough to get together in the first place!" :lol: - (Gordon Gekko classic line).

Edited by markinspain

*veers off topic*

What a wonderful demonstration of what happens to the perception of areas in price-falley times. I'd be willing to be Playa Flamenca was perfectly 'popular' during the boom over there, not because it was any good, but because it was cheap enough to buy in.

Hmm... why can't I get the word 'Basingstoke' out of my head?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Spain must be genuinly tanking now. No doubt.

Otherwise that Spain ramper would have been on here like a fly round a Bull's whatever saying everything is actually ok.. You know, the one with a Graham Taylor avatar.

Spain must be genuinly tanking now. No doubt.

Otherwise that Spain ramper would have been on here like a fly round a Bull's whatever saying everything is actually ok.. You know, the one with a Graham Taylor avatar.

Bardon will suddenly disappear when Australia cops it!

Bardon will suddenly disappear when Australia cops it!

Here's his last post on the subject of Spain.

Personally I dont agree that this is the right time to buy in Spain. I have been trying to buy for the past 4 months now and have had very little luck. I have been outbid or too slow on about 12 properties. Anything in the nice areas is getting snapped up almost immediately.

Investment in Spain

I am strongly tempted to move to Spain in Summer 2010.

Let's hope the prices have come down a LONG way by then. The properties for sale I've seen on the interweb and on Real Estate TV are eye-wateringly expensive for a country with such a massive oversupply.