House Price Crash Forum
0q0

Bbc News Puts Upbeat Spin On House Prices "up 0.9% Jan"

"The Land Registry figures show that prices in London are still rising at an annual rate of 13.1%, almost twice the rate for England and Wales. "

"Lack of cheap property

The worst-performing area in the past year was Wales, where prices fell by 0.3% in January and went up over the past 12 months by just 1.3%.

The only city or major town where prices have actually fallen over the past year is Nottingham, down by just 0.1%.

By contrast, Reading has seen prices rise by 12% in that time.

The general rise in average prices means it will soon be impossible to find anywhere to buy in the lower price bands that were once commonplace. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7269025.stm

"

I thought the article had a reasonably bearish slant to it?

e.g. rather than saying property prices continue to go up, they say:

However, the annual rate of increase continued to slow, to 6.4% in January from 6.7% in December, the fifth such fall in a row.

Only non-bearish part was the 'Lack of cheap property' section which I suppose could be taken either way depending on your personal opinion:

The general rise in average prices means it will soon be impossible to find anywhere to buy in the lower price bands that were once commonplace.

Means either:

Buy a flat / 2 bed terrace now before it's too late!!1111

or

First homes are massively overvalued and due for a fall.

"The Land Registry figures show that prices in London are still rising at an annual rate of 13.1%, almost twice the rate for England and Wales. "

"Lack of cheap property

The worst-performing area in the past year was Wales, where prices fell by 0.3% in January and went up over the past 12 months by just 1.3%.

The only city or major town where prices have actually fallen over the past year is Nottingham, down by just 0.1%.

By contrast, Reading has seen prices rise by 12% in that time.

The general rise in average prices means it will soon be impossible to find anywhere to buy in the lower price bands that were once commonplace. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7269025.stm

"

Presumably you bothered to read the headline of the said article:

"House prices still slowing down"

Yet again, selective reporting of BBC.co.uk articles to fit in with the nutty conspiracy theories. The article looks pretty bearish to me and accusing them of 'spinning' seems just a tad hypocritical... Shall I paste in some of the bits in the middle which you forgot to include?

However, the annual rate of increase continued to slow, to 6.4% in January from 6.7% in December, the fifth such fall in a row. The figures confirm the picture from all other surveys, which indicate the housing market has undergone a sharp slowdown since last summer.
But the capital has not been immune from the general slowdown.

"The downward trend in annual growth rates nationally is also visible in the data for London, although London growth rates continue to be stronger than those of England and Wales," said the Land Registry.

Tougher lenders

Overall the volume of sales has dropped steeply in the past year, down in England and Wales by 22% between November 2006 and November 2007.

The demand for mortgages has dropped under the impact of previous interest rate rises, judging by recent figures from the British Bankers' Association and the Bank of England.

Lenders are now becoming much more fussy about who they lend to because of the crisis in the banking industry.

This has caused a shortage of funds for banks and building societies to distribute as mortgages.

Loans that are higher than the value of a home are now almost impossible to come by.

Recently a member of the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee, Kate Barker, warned that a drop in lending might contribute to a downward spiral of house prices, which could in turn become a big short-term threat to the UK economy.

Yet again, selective reporting of BBC.co.uk articles to fit in with the nutty conspiracy theories. The article looks pretty bearish to me and accusing them of 'spinning' seems just a tad hypocritical... Shall I paste in some of the bits in the middle which you forgot to include?

The BBC is stuffed full of BTLers -- I realised this a long time ago -- I once telephoned to talk to Michael Robinson - the guy who made that excellent Money Programme in 2003/04 [see below] --- I went round and round these various Nu Labour types who just kept stalling me -- the more so once I praised that programme..... One of the young "producer" blurted out - "I've just bought a 2 bedroom flat in London - prices are never going to come down" -- I kid you not. The people running the show at the BBC - by and large -- REALLY ARE "ON MESSAGE" with Nu Labour HQ -- I am sure of that. BBC -- The Blair Brown Club. W@nkers.

Guest grumpy-old-man
The BBC is stuffed full of BTLers -- I realised this a long time ago -- I once telephoned to talk to Michael Robinson - the guy who made that excellent Money Programme in 2003/04 [see below] --- I went round and round these various Nu Labour types who just kept stalling me -- the more so once I praised that programme..... One of the young "producer" blurted out - "I've just bought a 2 bedroom flat in London - prices are never going to come down" -- I kid you not. The people running the show at the BBC - by and large -- REALLY ARE "ON MESSAGE" with Nu Labour HQ -- I am sure of that. BBC -- The Blair Brown Club. W@nkers.

I have really noticed this the last year or so, blatently obvious. Every bit of bad news is spun into good news.

Lloyds TSB results on Wednesday was it, sat watching chip-butty declan, he said "we have two sets of news for Lloyds TSB, they are both up & down at the same time" :blink::blink: He starts off with they are 1% (yes, 1% :lol::lol: ) up in profits, then slips in but they are ALSO :blink::blink:<_< down 6% at the same time. ffs, how fooking stoopid are the british public.

you know it's all over when they start saying stuff like this, BUT this is from the BBC...............no haven is safe,from a moral stand point now imo.....the rules have been changed completely.

who said last week, we trust the news from the man in the suit ? well they are bl00dy right!!

Still, the idea that an organisation the size of the BBC could operate as some kind of government spin-machine without somebody blowing the whistle is just laughable. Individual journalists will always have their own personal views (some may be into BTL or may just be homeowners in which case they're naturally going to be bullish and ill not see the wood for the trees). If they, as an organisation, are as "on message" as you say, then why have they produced so many insightful programmes, even into the lie-to-buy phenomenon which you're always harping on about? Why was Robert Peston single-handedly allowed to cause the run on Northern Rock?

It just makes us look ridiculous when visitors to this site see the 'contributions' of some people on this forum. I don't like people tarring the HPC cause with the conspiracy brush. I despise unbalanced reporting but I'm afraid it seems far more prevalent on this site than it is on bbc.co.uk (see a shining example above).

The BBC are about as independent as you are going to get in the media.

Still, the idea that an organisation the size of the BBC could operate as some kind of government spin-machine without somebody blowing the whistle is just laughable. Individual journalists will always have their own personal views (some may be into BTL or may just be homeowners in which case they're naturally going to be bullish and ill not see the wood for the trees). If they, as an organisation, are as "on message" as you say, then why have they produced so many insightful programmes, even into the lie-to-buy phenomenon which you're always harping on about? Why was Robert Peston single-handedly allowed to cause the run on Northern Rock?

It just makes us look ridiculous when visitors to this site see the 'contributions' of some people on this forum. I don't like people tarring the HPC cause with the conspiracy brush. I despise unbalanced reporting but I'm afraid it seems far more prevalent on this site than it is on bbc.co.uk (see a shining example above).

Hear, hear (writes a BBC News employee).

The BBC is horribly leaky; there's not a snowball in hell's chance that any government pressure for the BBC to take a certain "line" wouldn't be "out there" within a day or two. I know people in the BBC who've rented for years in anticipation of a crash, I know people who've MEW'd, I know one who has a Northern Rock "Together" mortgage, and I know a very recent STR who's convinced a mighty crash is on the way (and this individual is the effective day-to-day output editor of one of the very biggest BBC News programmes). In other words, the BBC is staffed by a range of people, exactly like any other employer.

I agree with Ed Norton about some of the posters on HPC making the site look ridiculous. Luckily for me, I rarely fix up guests to go on air these days, but if I stumbled across HPC whilst doing some online research, there's a very strong chance I'd look at a few threads and conclude this was a site populated by nutters. I think FP is a good guy to put on air about house prices (and I've neither met him nor booked him), but if I did put him on air, I wouldn't introduce him as a spokesman for the website housepricecrash.co.uk. If people looked for the site after seeing him on air, there's a strong chance they'd find threads about a New World Order, global conspiracies, occasional barely-concealed racism, and they'd wonder which constituency this man was representing. This is a great site, and I check in several times every day, but there are many people who post on here who seem a little too keen on crazy conspiracies. And while I'm at it, I hate the censorship on this site; come on, mods, allow a full debate. And who cares if someone mentions a rival site? Unless housepricecrash.co.uk is only in it for the money.......

And on censorship, don't mention the BBC (and the rest of the world's responsible media) not reporting Prince Harry in Afghanistan. If you don't understand why that is entirely different, God help you......

The BBC is horribly leaky; there's not a snowball in hell's chance that any government pressure for the BBC to take a certain "line" wouldn't be "out there" within a day or two. I know people in the BBC who've rented for years in anticipation of a crash, I know people who've MEW'd, I know one who has a Northern Rock "Together" mortgage, and I know a very recent STR who's convinced a mighty crash is on the way (and this individual is the effective day-to-day output editor of one of the very biggest BBC News programmes). In other words, the BBC is staffed by a range of people, exactly like any other employer.

I agree with Ed Norton about some of the posters on HPC making the site look ridiculous. Luckily for me, I rarely fix up guests to go on air these days, but if I stumbled across HPC whilst doing some online research, there's a very strong chance I'd look at a few threads and conclude this was a site populated by nutters. I think FP is a good guy to put on air about house prices (and I've neither met him nor booked him), but if I did put him on air, I wouldn't introduce him as a spokesman for the website housepricecrash.co.uk. If people looked for the site after seeing him on air, there's a strong chance they'd find threads about a New World Order, global conspiracies, occasional barely-concealed racism, and they'd wonder which constituency this man was representing. This is a great site, and I check in several times every day, but there are many people who post on here who seem a little too keen on crazy conspiracies. And while I'm at it, I hate the censorship on this site; come on, mods, allow a full debate. And who cares if someone mentions a rival site? Unless housepricecrash.co.uk is only in it for the money.......

And on censorship, don't mention the BBC (and the rest of the world's responsible media) not reporting Prince Harry in Afghanistan. If you don't understand why that is entirely different, God help you......

It is obvious to me that you are not very high up in the BBC. The policies of the BBC are directed by a very few people at the top. They set the agenda for the whole organization. The rest of the organization carry out their tasks based what they are told to do. This is the same for every media outlet in the UK.

The biggest conspiracy I can think of is the media - and how large corporations and the government have been spoon feeding crap to us for years.

There is great interview between Noam Chomsky and Andrew Marr where Chomsky explains media censorship. I suggest anyone interested about censoring in the media watch all three parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSuaGIKTaEA

You also contradict yourself by claiming this site is full of crazy conspiracy theories and nutters, and then chastise the moderators for censorship. If the nutters were detrimental to the site, as you claim, then why aren't the mods censoring them?

Edited by Pluto

It is obvious to me that you are not very high up in the BBC. The policies of the BBC are directed by a very few people at the top. They set the agenda for the whole organization. The rest of the organization carry out their tasks based what they are told to do. This is the same for every media outlet in the UK.

The biggest conspiracy I can think of is the media - and how large corporations and the government have been spoon feeding crap to us for years.

There is great interview between Noam Chomsky and Andrew Marr where Chomsky explains media censorship. I suggest anyone interested about censoring in the media watch all three parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSuaGIKTaEA

You also contradict yourself by claiming this site is full of crazy conspiracy theories and nutters, and then chastise the moderators for censorship. If the nutters were detrimental to the site, as you claim, then why aren't the mods censoring them?

I despair. There are bigger and more real conspiracies out there than what appears on the bbc website. Let it go and focus on educating the public in a clear, open, impartial, and independently verifiable way.

I despair. There are bigger and more real conspiracies out there than what appears on the bbc website. Let it go and focus on educating the public in a clear, open, impartial, and independently verifiable way.

It's done by selective discrimination, if the face doesn't fit then you won't get/keep the job.

If you believe the BBC has not been subverted in this way, and that this is not a serious issue then your priorities should lie closer to home.

It's done by selective discrimination, if the face doesn't fit then you won't get/keep the job.

If you believe the BBC has not been subverted in this way, and that this is not a serious issue then your priorities should lie closer to home.

I 'd love to believe that yes, the BBC as squeeky clean and only reported the facts as they are. But as we're fed lies and veiled bits of truth one after another, surely a blind man could see whats going on. Everyone knows that the housing market is way out of control, a simple look at you average high st with every second shop being an EA with greased back hair shows the nature of the chaos encouraged by our caring sharing government. What next to destroy social cohesion and create resentment amongst the haves and have nots? Whats the next "must have" ladder to get your foot onto?

The sooner people wake up and smell the chaos, the better. And you'll recognise it when you do!

ps. I had a 16 yr old girl in slippers from an EA (no lie) show me around a property in SE london a couple of onths back, so it looks as even the schoolkids can get in on the game. Jesus wept!

Again we seem to be presented with slighty conflicting data on the housing stats, but actually I regard this to be in line with the start of decline that could either accelerate at a reasonsable pace or else turn to a sudden tipping point. So I wouldn't be too concerned about the recent land registry figures.

On the way up, it was the estate agency websites that were the key cheer leaders as they always showed over inflated prices. If you look at these now and in particular if you use property bee you will see backlogs of unsold properties building up and price reductions across the board.

The building society figures are the next in the sequence and reflect mortgage offers going through. The recent Nationwide reports showed a fall in prices, of course we don't get a detailed geographic break down with these, but they give a flavour for the market heading downward

The Land Registry data is the last and most lagging. On the way up Land Reg figures could have provided some limited comfort to bears as rises were never quite as manic as the property websites - a reflection that most properties don't achieve the asking price. On the way down however I suspect the data could be comforting to bulls. The reason for this?

Reason: As the market slows down and backlogs build up, the properties that do get sold in the early stages of the turning point are the ones that effectively sell themselves, ie good properties, quiet roads, nices garden, bonus space inside etc, so at the start of a down turn you see a filtering effect with the good properties (which on average attract a higher than average price) going through into the land registry figures with the dross staying unsold. Gradually those sellers selling dross come to the realisation that they are overpriced, as a result they drop their prices and eventually these turn to sales feed into the system and ultimately inform the registry figures.

Given the time it can take to compete a chain, sometimes upto 9 months, there is little doubt that the early stage reductions we are now seeing on he property websites have not yet fed into the land registry system. For instance I know people who agreed deals in August (at the peak) and literally they have only just completed the original chain having just about held together.

I predict that by the time we the June data from the Land Registry, we see some really serious falls, as the drops in asking prices that have beeb occuring over the last 2-3 months will get added into the figures. And serious I have seen several cases of people having to knock 10-15% off for a quick sale, so June the year on year figures will be well and truly down.

There was a time when I think it was fair to say the BBC was a very conservative (with a small 'c') organisation. It was almost a parody of Britishness - being 'correct', impartial, fair etc - with well educated presenters who spoke the Queen's English etc.

Now, to be honest, the BBC makes me sick. I was once a staunch defender of the BBC and the licence fee, in the interests of having at least one news provider that was not in hock to commerce. But not any more. I'd willingly let the BBC go to the dogs now. It started when Blair got in. Alistair Campbell did something to the BBC that changed the ornganisation. I wouldn't be suprised if he got the Director in and said 'the winds of change are blowing, we have 24/7 news these days courtesy of Sky and more and more people will be clamouring to have the licence fee abolished or reduced. Now we are in favour of the BBC, of course, but let's hope you don't provide any ammunition to those that would like to see the end of the BBC ... understood?'

The sheer sycophancy of the interviews of Labour government ministers over the years has been, to my ears, almost unbelievable. And the blatant ramping of the property market ... clearly lots of the producers are BTL investors. If you work for the BBC I'd start looking for a new job if the Tories get in next time. They have a lot of scores to settle with the BBC which I would not be surprised to see halve in size during the next parliament.

Bloody hell Ed....give me some of that happy stuff you're on. Blissful ignorance....ahh what a life.

One of the BBC business presenters annoyed me this morning - She mentioned the Nationwide report released today, but didn't even mention the figure of 0.5% decline in prices. She was more concerned about the tiny increase in volumes and this convinced her there would be a spring bounce.

The guy "in the city" who she spoke to quickly changed that to a "highly unlikely spring bounce" as hopefully he knows what hes talking about!

It's not the case that ALL the BBC are "on message" -- but a sufficient number are -- and they are right at the centre of the hyping of house "prices" because they are London based - and therefore trapped in a Lalaland bubble - and the organisation is stuffed to the gills with wannabee BTL Empire builders who will do ANYTHING to just HYPE, HYPE, HYPE the whole thing ad infinitum........

I disagree. Media is the biggest conspiracy out there today - it enables all government policies. Edward Bernays realised the power of the media and used it as a marketing tool for the large corporations then government. The Propaganda you see today in the media is a result of the pioneering work Bernays did in the early 20th century.

Google him.

Edited by Pluto

I disagree. Media is the biggest conspiracy out there today - it enables all government policies. Edward Bernays realised the power of the media and used it as a marketing tool for the large corporations then government. The Propaganda you see today in the media is a result of the pioneering work Bernays did in the early 20th century.

Google him.

Spot on,media outlets and broadcasting are primary targets in warfare,and usually only second to military bases.Now why would that be??

if you cut off the propaganda,the people don't buy the party line..they look out of the window and see the truth for themselves.One of the most effective weapons is the ability to cause dissent within an opponents ranks.Obstruction and manipulation of newsflow does this spectacularly well.The people are already aware that they are barraged by propaganda from thier own side,but sowing seeds of doubt about even the extent of inaccuracy in the governments story can cause mayhem.

I think this is certainly a front of this war that will be fought ferociously.Its still not an excuse to censor any form of media,although the case will be made to do so,which must be resisted.The government needs to be as honest with the people as it can be....and spin free.It's a bit rich us preaching the spread of democracy when our own representatives are up to their necks in dodgy dealings and corruption.If we intend to lecture them,then we must lead by example and have scrupulously clean politicians.

Edited by oracle

I'm sorry, yes, you're right. I realise now that I have no freedom of thought, and that a very few people tell me what to report and how to report it. And there I was, thinking that I'd been able to work with great freedom on the stories I've been assigned to for all the years I've spent climbing the editorial ladder. Hell, even when I've edited programmes without speaking to anyone more senior than me all day, they were still guiding me. It must be subliminal. Now, thanks to your greater understanding of my employer and my mind, I see the light. I'm a paid propagandist for the Government, the VIs and the New World Order. Buy houses. They'll only ever go up. All my colleagues think so, with their massive BTL portfolios. And to think I thought I didn't know ANYONE in the BBC with a BTL. Brainwashed, that's what I am.

Jeez.........

;)

I'm sorry, yes, you're right. I realise now that I have no freedom of thought, and that a very few people tell me what to report and how to report it. And there I was, thinking that I'd been able to work with great freedom on the stories I've been assigned to for all the years I've spent climbing the editorial ladder. Hell, even when I've edited programmes without speaking to anyone more senior than me all day, they were still guiding me. It must be subliminal. Now, thanks to your greater understanding of my employer and my mind, I see the light. I'm a paid propagandist for the Government, the VIs and the New World Order. Buy houses. They'll only ever go up. All my colleagues think so, with their massive BTL portfolios. And to think I thought I didn't know ANYONE in the BBC with a BTL. Brainwashed, that's what I am.

Jeez.........

;)

Maybe you were selected in the first place because you have such a earnest 'do what you're assigned to do' work ethic.

They don't need to worry, you jumped through all the hoops to get where you are already.

Maybe try things differently, take a different spin - see how fast they reappear at your shoulder.

Edited by Landagan