House Price Crash Forum
It is different this time

Department For Work And Pensions To Cut 12.000 Jobs

That cannot be true, no way.

12,000 jobs in natural wastage over 40 years, maybe, but not "cut".

Have you any idea how much that would cost in ridiculously expensive public sector contractually-binding redundancy payments and Beckman-ruling costs?

It'd be cheaper to just pay them their existing salaries to stay in bed.

This will be a recurring theme for the next few years. The government just can't afford to feed the public sector beast they have created and with inflation running riot, they have already reached the limits of effective cost cutting through pay controls (they can't go lower than the 2% pay cap without open rebellion).

Does that mean that Crapita will be increasing its headcount by 15000?

p-o-p

Ah, "cut" as in outsourced. Same people doing the same jobs in the same offices but with a different logo on the top of the payslip.

That cannot be true, no way.

12,000 jobs in natural wastage over 40 years, maybe, but not "cut".

Have you any idea how much that would cost in ridiculously expensive public sector contractually-binding redundancy payments and Beckman-ruling costs?

It'd be cheaper to just pay them their existing salaries to stay in bed.

So true. The costs of juicy pensions and redundancy payments will negate years worth of salary savings. Almost not worth it, unless you think that a prolonged economic downturn of massive magnitude is coming. :(

My first thought on reading this was, oh no, now we're going to get an even worse service from the DWP. On second thoughts, service is already so bad that I don't suppose 12,000 job losses will make much difference.

Btw, there are a lot of contracts of the Welfare to Work variety going to private companies. My son has just landed a job with such a provider - they're recruiting like the clappers from what I can gather from their website - and in a hurry, too. He had to be available within 2 weeks from interview. Perhaps that's the real reason behind getting rid of 12,000 jobs at the DWP - they're going to the private sector.

So true. The costs of juicy pensions and redundancy payments will negate years worth of salary savings. Almost not worth it, unless you think that a prolonged economic downturn of massive magnitude is coming. :(

I looked at an outsource deal 2 years ago that had half a dozen "Beckmans" in a group of 100ish to be outsourced. Blew the business case out completely of the water.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-1307350,00.html

12,000 Jobs Cut In Work And Pensions

Updated:13:34, Thursday February 28, 2008

Twelve thousand civil servant jobs will be cut at the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) over the next three years.

Private and voluntary sectors will play a bigger role in helping people find work.

News of the cuts has come from the Work and Pensions Secretary James Purnell.

Unions had expressed concern that the move could lead to job losses among DWP staff as more work is given to private voluntary groups.

Now they are warning that the cuts will hit the delivery of employment services to the public.

Mr Purnell has insisted that, despite 30,000 job cuts in the department over the last three years, productivity at the DWP was up by 11%.

Ah, "cut" as in outsourced. Same people doing the same jobs in the same offices but with a different logo on the top of the payslip.

But now, through being accounted for in the private sector, they will miraculously transform from public-sector parasite to productive worker ;)

Due to spending cuts - details to follow. Brown's miracle is melting!

Bad for those individuals but good for the Country generally. I think we have too many civil servants already. Less is always better, less tax for me. Knowning a bit of how the government recruits, I dated a recruitment agent from a popular high street agency. The government fiddles figures. It fires these people to replace them with temps who are in fact perms but at twice the cost....

Bad for those individuals but good for the Country generally. I think we have too many civil servants already. Less is always better, less tax for me. Knowning a bit of how the government recruits, I dated a recruitment agent from a popular high street agency. The government fiddles figures. It fires these people to replace them with temps who are in fact perms but at twice the cost....

HHAHHAHAHAHHAH

Not a frigging chance.

what they don't say is that the DWP is already outsourced to EDS. Well all the infrastructure IT and the "meat" of it is. With the results that we all know.

EDS, End in Deep Shit.

(one of the mottos when I used to work there)

NEWS ALERT

12,000 paper shufflers to march to Downing street .

Is that where the last Jobcentre is?

Guess it gives gordo somewhere to hang out in May.

Off balance sheet accounting...like a SIV conduit for employment

We all know what happens to such 'miracles'!

It's the same in 80% of the private or public sector. Accounting tricks, smoke and mirrors. Nothing more.

Over the past ten years, one or other of my children has at some time had to use Connections and/or the Jobcentre. Both proved utterly useless in providing employment and/or careers advice. The private sector couldn't help but make a better fist of it.

Also, one of my girls worked for Jobcentre for a year - she was appalled by the laxity and lack of motivation on the part of their employment advisers. In contrast, one of my boys worked for Reed Employment - the difference in attitude couldn't have been more striking. Imo, it's high time that the private sector took over the job of getting people back to work.

Over the past ten years, one or other of my children has at some time had to use Connections and/or the Jobcentre. Both proved utterly useless in providing employment and/or careers advice. The private sector couldn't help but make a better fist of it.

Also, one of my girls worked for Jobcentre for a year - she was appalled by the laxity and lack of motivation on the part of their employment advisers. In contrast, one of my boys worked for Reed Employment - the difference in attitude couldn't have been more striking. Imo, it's high time that the private sector took over the job of getting people back to work.

Private sector agencies have the advantage that people coming through the doors are generally employable, send them some long-term unemployed and I wonder how well they (or anyone) would do... :ph34r:

12k job losses over three years. I'm sure that double that number will be created in other parts of Central Government over the same time period. Labour's union paymasters would never have let this happen otherwise.