House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pacman741

We Are Not Alone!

Hi all

First post here, having just found the site a few days ago. I have to admit, its a relief find others as frustrated and disheartened as I am about the whole housing game. Theres only 4 words for it -"Crime Of The Century".

A quick introduction - I'm a mid 40's male, had a hse 3 yrs ago but due to me and her splitting up, had to sell up (at a distress sale price). Since then I've been renting, and holding onto the illusion that one day I'd be able to own my own place again. Perversely, I'm an outreach worker for a large LA funded charity providing housing for the homeless. Been doing it 10 yrs, and to put it mildly, the absurdity of providing social housing for others whilst I can't afford (as a single male on an average salary) a permanent roof over my head, does leave me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

However, I find solace in this site, and the fact that maybe there are people as frustrated and undervalued as I feel. Like you all, I'd like to see some realism return to the housing world, and I guess its just fingers crossed.

I hope I can contribute positively to this site, cos lets face it, finding ANYTHING positive to say about housing in london is pretty damn difficult!

Have a nice day

S

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Welcome. Although I had expected some brave news from the SETI program.

Guest Shedfish

welcome to the 'nuthouse'

are we there yet? i can almost see the sea...

:lol:

they're still sifting through the echoes of Pete Townsend's tantrums, and all the falling shoes on Wall Street. a squadron of alien drum tutors could slip by unnoticed...

Been doing it 10 yrs, and to put it mildly, the absurdity of providing social housing for others whilst I can't afford (as a single male on an average salary) a permanent roof over my head, does leave me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

I can imagine. No doubt you'll be handed out some ludicrous part-buy scheme details allowing you buy buy 50% of an overpriced box.

Hi all

First post here, having just found the site a few days ago. I have to admit, its a relief find others as frustrated and disheartened as I am about the whole housing game. Theres only 4 words for it -"Crime Of The Century".

A quick introduction - I'm a mid 40's male, had a hse 3 yrs ago but due to me and her splitting up, had to sell up (at a distress sale price). Since then I've been renting, and holding onto the illusion that one day I'd be able to own my own place again. Perversely, I'm an outreach worker for a large LA funded charity providing housing for the homeless. Been doing it 10 yrs, and to put it mildly, the absurdity of providing social housing for others whilst I can't afford (as a single male on an average salary) a permanent roof over my head, does leave me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

However, I find solace in this site, and the fact that maybe there are people as frustrated and undervalued as I feel. Like you all, I'd like to see some realism return to the housing world, and I guess its just fingers crossed.

I hope I can contribute positively to this site, cos lets face it, finding ANYTHING positive to say about housing in london is pretty damn difficult!

Have a nice day

S

Apart from mid nineties it has always been difficult to buy in London on a single average salary.

I'd change jobs and move.

First post here, having just found the site a few days ago. I have to admit, its a relief find others as frustrated and disheartened as I am about the whole housing game.

We all have our own agendas , but all are welcome imho who want to see a nice healthy housing correction/crash .

I know exactly how you feel. 15 years ago I used to have a nice lodge house near Guildford, bought for £150k (from sellers who paid £225k in 1989!). Got divorced about 7 years ago, sold for a comparatively cheap £320k with 90% of the equity going to the ex. All I want is the same house I could afford 15 years ago, which now would be about £600k - how can anyone afford that on any sort of regular salary? If your a bloke in SE England and you get divorced you have almost no chance of getting any sort of reasonable family home again, of course our fault for being such shit husbands/fathers!

Welcome.

I'm sorry to say that now, it is too late for you - you're hooked on HPC! Enjoy!

Edited by DoctorJ

+++INVEST_IN_PROPERTY_IN_ALPHA_CENTURI+++

+++GUARANTEED_RETURNS_5%_DEPOSIT_ONLY+++

+++MEANING_OF_LIFE_TO_FOLLOW_IN_NEXT_BROADCAST+++

If your a bloke in SE England and you get divorced you have almost no chance of getting any sort of reasonable family home again, of course our fault for being such shit husbands/fathers!

It makes me wonder whether being planning my finances carefully will be a waste of time as divorce could easily happen to me as it does with so many these days... And I'm not even married yet!

It makes me wonder whether being planning my finances carefully will be a waste of time as divorce could easily happen to me as it does with so many these days... And I'm not even married yet!

Applies to parents too - having a rooted objection to letting HMR&C get their paws on our cash when we turn our toes up, we intend to pass it over to our 3 daughters early (But not too early - we have read our King Lear!). However, there is always the skanky son-in-law problem; one of our Darling Daughters is statistically likely to get dumped for a younger model after 10 years or so, and we're damned if, in these days of equality legislation, he's going to waltz off with half our gift. Expensive legal advice required.

Guest The_Oldie
Applies to parents too - having a rooted objection to letting HMR&C get their paws on our cash when we turn our toes up, we intend to pass it over to our 3 daughters early (But not too early - we have read our King Lear!). However, there is always the skanky son-in-law problem; one of our Darling Daughters is statistically likely to get dumped for a younger model after 10 years or so, and we're damned if, in these days of equality legislation, he's going to waltz off with half our gift. Expensive legal advice required.

Trust fund? Perhaps for your grandchildren?

finding ANYTHING positive to say about housing in london is pretty damn difficult!

No it's not. LR reports - and anecdotal evidence (like OP's post) - shows they continue to rise. As I own one, that is pretty positive in my book.

Yes, simply re-locate, you can always pick fruit in autumn fields if stuck or clams of an East Anglian beach? Dunno what your so upset about it's not as if the rest of the country has been hit by HPI, come to think of it go abroad, cost of housing over there is peanuts...theres always a simple solution to the problem really. :rolleyes:

Apart from mid nineties it has always been difficult to buy in London on a single average salary.

I'd change jobs and move.

> cost of housing over there is peanuts

I don't know about that - property is pricey in most parts of the world right now (if you take local salaries into account).

If your a bloke in SE England and you get divorced you have almost no chance of getting any sort of reasonable family home again, of course our fault for being such shit husbands/fathers!

am sorry to hear about your personal circumstances but why do you want a family home if you're a single guy - the same applies applies to most parts of the uk - but hey your a single guy the worlds your oyster - one door closes...well you know the rest :)

besides am sure there are plenty of single mums out there will plenty of equity.... :D

'Perversely, I'm an outreach worker for a large LA funded charity providing housing for the homeless. Been doing it 10 yrs, and to put it mildly, the absurdity of providing social housing for others whilst I can't afford (as a single male on an average salary) a permanent roof over my head, does leave me with a very bad taste in my mouth'

Know that feeling - both of us work to support others in finding social housing yet we're paying somebodies mortgage for them and even if prices fall 50% in this area we'd have a hard job affording something. Cheers Nulab. This country sucks.............

Well then don't get married amd it's not an issue. Just cohabit, then when you split the equity goes 50/50 and everyones happy (well you are, she may not be).

No it's not. LR reports - and anecdotal evidence (like OP's post) - shows they continue to rise. As I own one, that is pretty positive in my book.

(D-)

Must try harder.

ST