House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest muttley

G P Pay Bill 1.8 Billion Above Budget

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Yeah, sorry about that. It's probably my fault. Needed a couple more tyres for the Ford Fiesta last month.

I think the antipathic headlines towards the medical profession are more of the 'punch them in the face before they ask for another tenner' type than based on anything else.

Alternatively we could be gearing up for another Schumpeterian creation-destruction business cycle where the NHS is dismantled and the public is looted by private companies offering an alternative. Stir up public sentiment, point it in one direction and break things.

There aren't many more economic bubbles left to inflate.

Yeah, sorry about that. It's probably my fault. Needed a couple more tyres for the Ford Fiesta last month.

I think the antipathic headlines towards the medical profession are more of the 'punch them in the face before they ask for another tenner' type than based on anything else.

Alternatively we could be gearing up for another Schumpeterian creation-destruction business cycle where the NHS is dismantled and the public is looted by private companies offering an alternative. Stir up public sentiment, point it in one direction and break things.

I hope not.

The OP (and the article) did say government incompetence. It's New Labour's obsession with management-consultancy ideas like targets that's responsible IMO. E.g. my sister tells me she can't make an appointment in advance; if there's no slot available that day she has to phone back tomorrow. That can only be because the surgery has some kind of target to make appointments on the same day they're asked for. Such a target, imposed without thought of the logical consequences, is ridiculous, verging on criminal, IMO.

Meanwhile the population is being eaten up by degenerative diseases and almost one in two people get some form of cancer during their lives. Medicine gives us this bizarre world where the heart can be kept beating for longer and longer but degenerative disease affects younger and younger people.

Diabetes is rife and more obsese people shovel insulin into themselves.

GPs hand out broad spectrum antibiotics like Smarties and when people come about in sixth months lacking all energy (as their gastro intestinal tract no longer functions properly) they are told it's 'just stress'.

Other Doctors hand out useless, poisonous drugs for things like depression that either don't work or are mere happy pills that further undermine the psychological functioning of the patient or high blood pressure 'drugs for life' when dietary changes have been shown to be less toxic and more effective.

Paying GPS more and more while society ails like never before is a waste of taxpayers money. Far better to fund research into what promotes excellent health and what doesn't outside the money-grabbing world of the drugs industry.

GP's are a waste of money. Why do they get such high wages? We should slash their wages in half if not more.

Made me laugh that they went crying about foreign doctors getting the training positions - if any other profession did that they'd be vilified as being "Lazy" etc etc.

GP's are a waste of money. Why do they get such high wages? We should slash their wages in half if not more.

Made me laugh that they went crying about foreign doctors getting the training positions - if any other profession did that they'd be vilified as being "Lazy" etc etc.

Yes GPs are a waste of money. Everything thing you have said is entirely correct. I am very sure that 8 years of training is a waste of time too. There is nothing is stupid about what you have said. Please let me suggest something, if you ever think that you are on the verge of having a heart attack, please do not go to your GP, go and get yourself sorted by someone else instead other than a doc.

Yes GPs are a waste of money. Everything thing you have said is entirely correct. I am very sure that 8 years of training is a waste of time too. There is nothing is stupid about what you have said. Please let me suggest something, if you ever think that you are on the verge of having a heart attack, please do not go to your GP, go and get yourself sorted by someone else instead other than a doc.

Do you not think Doctor's are grossly overpaid? Seeing as it's a vocation you take up to help people not make money.

If I did have a heart attack I doubt I'd see my GP till after the event having been into hospital via an ambulance. Do not see GP. Do not collect £200.

Do you not think Doctor's are grossly overpaid? Seeing as it's a vocation you take up to help people not make money.

If I did have a heart attack I doubt I'd see my GP till after the event having been into hospital via an ambulance. Do not see GP. Do not collect £200.

I don't think we overpay GP's, I do however, think what we pay them is far too much when you compare it to the wages of those people visiting the practices and ultimately paying their wages. While I think GPs deserve the money I also think being a GPS should not just be about the salary....

Guest muttley
And, which Budget would that be, then, Mutt?

p

I was just quoting from the article.

I'm more interested in the government's handling of the affair, rather whether GP's salaries are justified. I am well aware that GPs were underpaid in 2003.