House Price Crash Forum

East Devon

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

HOLA441
Guest AuntJess

I looked through some EA's property lists online today. I note that the number of pages on one particular agent has risen from 5...to 20!!! :o Yet the prices they are going onto the market for is as daft as ever. No higher - granted - but they ain't dropping the prices either.

Wondering how long it will take to sink in that they ainta gonna sell at those prices... well not unless it is a perfect house and a rich gobbin - with more money that brains - buys it.

HOLA442
I looked through some EA's property lists online today. I note that the number of pages on one particular agent has risen from 5...to 20!!! :o Yet the prices they are going onto the market for is as daft as ever. No higher - granted - but they ain't dropping the prices either.

Wondering how long it will take to sink in that they ainta gonna sell at those prices... well not unless it is a perfect house and a rich gobbin - with more money that brains - buys it.

I spoke to an estate agent the other day, he said despite the negative press he has had a busy February.....It maybe blag though ;) They may be playing on the supply/demand theory more in the south west hence refusing to accept concept of reality.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Some of the prices I've seen for properties in East Devon seem incredibly high to me. This one for example on at £780K http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property/16561732

Nice location near the golf course in Sidmouth but the house does not look that special to me and smallish plot. What's so special?

Heaven only knows. I agree, even allowing for the retirement factor, I'd have taken a guess at 450 -525.

HOLA446
Guest AuntJess
Some of the prices I've seen for properties in East Devon seem incredibly high to me. This one for example on at £780K http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property/16561732

Nice location near the golf course in Sidmouth but the house does not look that special to me and smallish plot. What's so special?

There is a certain type of Devon dweller, who thinks s/he can ask WTF they like: they have delusions of grandeur and imagine that a cushy life is their due - that they are ENTITLED to a wad of cash for a so-so home in so-so condition. :rolleyes: Just because it is Devon. Devon is nice but a good many places are just as nice, but don't ask these prices.

Thick - 'cos they don't see what is about to descend: Greedy - 'cos they wouldn't care if they knew, as long as THEY are 'OK'. :angry:

I suspect these sorts originate in the Home counties. A misplaced sense of superiority seems to be commonest among the folks there. :P

Edited by AuntJess

HOLA447

Speaking to an agent (as a friend) he has said that there are some seriously low offers coming in on big expensive houses in the areas in east devon

on the market at 730 K

a couple offered 590 K (of course declined but still unsold and the only offer)

people want pay high prices with the uncertainty around, even if they are rolling in it !!!

Its only a matter of time before somebody is forced into a lower price then the precedent is set !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLA448

New to this thread but looking with interest, after 6 years on the Lincolnshire Fens I am craving the Devon countryside again (my spiritual home!) but as we only have £200k, we're waiting a bit hoping the prices come down. Do people in Devon resent newbies coming in or is it just the stinking filthy rich who steal houses from the less well off. As we are in our 20's (well 30's for hubby!) we can contribute to the economy, we don't want to build and we just want a safe home in the countryside for our children to grow up in. I feel like I'm rambling but I'm worried about moving to the south west and feeling like an outsider, please assure me we would be welcomed?!!

JB xx (pregnant and hating lincolnshire)

HOLA449
New to this thread but looking with interest, after 6 years on the Lincolnshire Fens I am craving the Devon countryside again (my spiritual home!) but as we only have £200k, we're waiting a bit hoping the prices come down. Do people in Devon resent newbies coming in or is it just the stinking filthy rich who steal houses from the less well off. As we are in our 20's (well 30's for hubby!) we can contribute to the economy, we don't want to build and we just want a safe home in the countryside for our children to grow up in. I feel like I'm rambling but I'm worried about moving to the south west and feeling like an outsider, please assure me we would be welcomed?!!

JB xx (pregnant and hating lincolnshire)

I was born & bred in Somerset, I currently live on Devon/Cornwall border and I must admitt although not totally alien as its classed as south-west I haven't found all the people very friendly and welcoming and the majority of my friends down here are not from this area, they have had the same problem too. The most noticable place for hostility is in local pubs in the country. Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear.. :(

HOLA4410
I was born & bred in Somerset, I currently live on Devon/Cornwall border and I must admitt although not totally alien as its classed as south-west I haven't found all the people very friendly and welcoming and the majority of my friends down here are not from this area, they have had the same problem too. The most noticable place for hostility is in local pubs in the country. Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear.. :(

I'm from Scotland and have been living in Devon for four years and have never experienced any problems with unfriendliness or unwelcoming locals. Don't go to country pubs that often but when I have it's been much the same as country pubs in any other area of the UK, i.e. a welcoming convivial host and friendly or neutral regulars.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4411

Express & Echo HEADLINE - Exeter

House prices in the South West increased by 4.1 per cent over the past 12 months, new figures revealed today.

The rise came despite an air of gloom being cast over the property market nationally.The average cost of a house in the South West fell only slightly by 0.2 per cent during February, according to the Land Registry.

Kind of correct, but I must live in another county..........not happening in my part of Devon, just 10 mile up the M5 from Exeter

This is Exeter

HOLA4412

I've been using PropertyBee for a few weeks now and have seen the number of properties available around me rise gradually and the proportion of reductions increase from around 10% in Feb to 26% by the end of March. It looks to me as if reality is finally sinking in.