House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The XYY Man

Btl - The Hidden Genius Of Brown And New Labour...?

We used to have affordable social housing available for the man in the street - council houses - but Thatcher sold them off and stipulated councils could not invest the proceeds in building replacements.

We now need affordable housing again - in part due to the above - but the councils couldn't afford to build more now, even if they wanted to.

And Brown and chums wouldn't want central government to pick up the tab either.

So how do we get cheap, low-cost, low-rent social housing?

Get private companies to build ultra cheap plasterboard tat, let a bunch of greedy middle-income fools pay for them in the belief they will get a nice rental income - thus driving up prices - then when the inevitable crash comes and millions are repossessed, let the housing associations and the social housing groups buy them at a fraction of the price the BTLetter paid and rent them out at chav-fordable prices.

The builders win, the banks win, those needing cheap housing win and the aspirational middle class pay for it all.

I believe this is already happening, and will continue to do so. BTL flats are already becoming the council ghettos of tomorrow.

And Brown and the New Labia spin machine will (I'm sure) make maximum noises about all this low-cost housing now being available and claim it was all down to Gordy Brown...and a few million chav beneficiaries will probably continue to vote Labour as a result.

So perhaps Gordon will deliver his 3 million affordable new homes, particularly as most of them - BTL flats - may have already been built...

And if this was planned, then he really is a twisted genius - so let's all hope I'm wrong!!!

But I've a nagging doubt there's some truth in my scenario, even if it wasn't a deliberate plan.

Please convince me I'm wrong...PLEASE!!!

We used to have affordable social housing available for the man in the street - council houses - but Thatcher sold them off and stipulated councils could not invest the proceeds in building replacements.

We now need affordable housing again - in part due to the above - but the councils couldn't afford to build more now, even if they wanted to.

Get private companies to build ultra cheap plasterboard tat, let a bunch of greedy middle-income fools pay for them in the belief they will get a nice rental income - thus driving up prices - then when the inevitable crash comes and millions are repossessed, let the housing associations and the social housing groups buy them at a fraction of the price the BTLetter paid and rent them out at chav-fordable prices.

The builders win, the banks win, those needing cheap housing win and the aspirational middle class pay for it all.

I believe this is already happening, and will continue to do so. BTL flats are already becoming the council ghettos of tomorrow.

And Brown and the New Labia spin machine will (I'm sure) make maximum noises about all this low-cost housing now being available and claim it was all down to Gordy Brown...and a few million chav beneficiaries will probably continue to vote Labour as a result.

So perhaps Gordon will deliver his 3 million affordable new homes, particularly as most of them - BTL flats - may have already been built...

And if this was planned, then he really is a twisted genius - so let's all hope I'm wrong!!!

But I've a nagging doubt there's some truth in my scenario, even if it wasn't a deliberate plan.

I can't convince you you're wrong, but I hope you are, not the least because the new-builds that would most likely qualify for social housing are the least suitable for families, and that is where the greatest need lies.

Millions has been spent demolishing high rise council flats and replacing them with more family-friendly housing stock so it would be a retrograde step to house needy families in tower blocks where half the time the lifts don't work so you're trapped if you have a child who needs a pram.

Affordable flats or social housing for those that have been waiting on housing registers up and down the country for years (all paid for by the BTL brigade).

Either outcome suits me.

Bring it on!

You're wrong. Nobody in the Labour party has the intelligence to put together such a plan - particulary one that plays out over years.

Well, it has a nice symmetry to it:

1. public sector tries to house large numbers of people and ends up building god-awful tower blocks

2. government vows to stop them doing it again so forces them to sell up and stop building new stuff

3. in the meantime, to house large numbers of people, private sector builds god-awful tower blocks disguised as luxury executive units

4. which end up housing the same people that used to live in the god-awful public sector tower-blocks

5. repeat in some way as yet to be defined

I think that is what will happen - the housing associations will hoover everything up.

However, as for it being a cunning plan - nope! If you ever got to know a politician you would realise that many of them are, IMPO, not the brightest bulbs on the landing. Vain, egotistical, self-serving - yes. Clever in the way you think - Nah.

The real reasons the country has been littered with BTL luxury flats are:

1. Developers can make a killing buying a couple of old houses and plonking 20 flats on the site.

2. Councils are told they must provide X new homes every year. Since nimbies oppose all planning applications the easiest way to reach the X target is to let developers buy up a couple of old houses and plonk 20 flats on the site.

Whenever there is a shortage of supply, be it tulips or houses, bubbles are self-fueling - people buying in put up the price which encourages more people to buy in, etc. Meanwhile the clever money is surfing from bubble to bubble, utilities to dotcom to property to (probably) energy to (my guess) something medical around the year 2020, eg life extension therapies.

Edited by Nationalist

I think that is what will happen - the housing associations will hoover everything up.

However, as for it being a cunning plan - nope! If you ever got to know a politician you would realise that many of them are, IMPO, not the brightest bulbs on the landing. Vain, egotistical, self-serving - yes. Clever in the way you think - Nah.

When I put this to Peach the other day (I like to filch clever stuff off the forum and recycle it in my smalltalk, in a desperate bid to be her intellectual peer) she chucked the cueball across the room and smacked her cue on the table.

The language! I shrink from fouling the minds of the Hon. Members here present, but the gist of it was " Does that mean the (mario) government will be (mario) involved in supporting the (mario) housing market?!?"

Is Her Peachness wrong?

I can see how the middle classes have been stiffed, but I can`t see how the builders and banks win? many of them will be going to the wall soon. Once the sheeple see that houses are not a one way investment the builders are f*cked, they have massively overbuilt in the last few years, they can`t keep the gravy train going especially if a recession sends half of eastern europe back to the part of europe it originated in? The banks are in even worse straits, if there is so much as a peep during the rest of this week about another bank being insolvent, any bank that is even rumored to have a problem is going to be run on, and although Gordon is looking a lot stronger than before at PMQ`s, any more financial meltdown stuff, and I think he can kiss his ass goodbye. Anybody agree?

I can't convince you you're wrong, but I hope you are, not the least because the new-builds that would most likely qualify for social housing are the least suitable for families, and that is where the greatest need lies.

Millions has been spent demolishing high rise council flats and replacing them with more family-friendly housing stock so it would be a retrograde step to house needy families in tower blocks where half the time the lifts don't work so you're trapped if you have a child who needs a pram.

The thing is, these blocks are quite nice as they are. Watching them degenerate into new slums will be sad. And will prove that there is no point in making nice places for scumbags, because they will only trash them in fairly short order.

Labour supported selling council houses to tenants (with over 2 years tenancy) back in 1979 manifesto , so they had the same viewpoint as Thatcher, you could say Labour not only might have done the same, they also said they would.

"The hidden genius of Brown" ? I apreciate this is said tongue in cheek but the dastardly villain will be remembered in a somewhat unseemly manner in the not too distant future. Soon as the Sun readers click on! :lol:

Housing Act 2004 EDMO (Empty Dwelling Managements Order)

If you have empty private property, the government has already given itself the power to commandeer it to house the needy.

I can see how the middle classes have been stiffed, but I can`t see how the builders and banks win? many of them will be going to the wall soon. Once the sheeple see that houses are not a one way investment the builders are f*cked, they have massively overbuilt in the last few years, they can`t keep the gravy train going especially if a recession sends half of eastern europe back to the part of europe it originated in? The banks are in even worse straits, if there is so much as a peep during the rest of this week about another bank being insolvent, any bank that is even rumored to have a problem is going to be run on, and although Gordon is looking a lot stronger than before at PMQ`s, any more financial meltdown stuff, and I think he can kiss his ass goodbye. Anybody agree?

Well the builders won by getting paid £100K - £200K each for "developments" they built using the cheapest possible building materials and methods - chipboard, plasterboard and breeze blocks. These could only of cost a fraction of the sale price to build. If they are going to the wall now, it's can only be 'cos they've pissed the profits up that very same wall.

As for the banks, they've got a load of new middle income debt slaves. Their upbringing, education, social standing and pride will probably make them attempt to pay their debt off, even though some of them will never be able to do so. And they are probably too proud to "do one" like any debt-ridden chav would. And even if a few banks do go to the wall, the mortgages still stand and will be bought up by a stronger bank for peanuts. A few hundred thousand middle earners heavily in debt will be a very nice earner in the long run - as student loans prove...

Edited by The XYY Man

Guest vicmac64
You're wrong. Nobody in the Labour party has the intelligence to put together such a plan - particulary one that plays out over years.

NAH - but Gordo and Tony answer to a higher level don't forget - who says they aren't smart enough to devise such a plan.

We know the puppets - any guesses as to who the puppet masters might be?

half the time the lifts don't work so you're trapped if you have a child who needs a pram.

blimey, they skimped on the stairs too ?

(only slightly more helpfully, pram out window, carry baby?)

Well the builders won by getting paid £100K - £200K each for "developments" they built using the cheapest possible building materials and methods - chipboard, plasterboard and breeze blocks. These could only of cost a fraction of the sale price to build. If they are going to the wall now, it's can only be 'cos they've pissed the profits up that very same wall.

As for the banks, they've got a load of new middle income debt slaves. Their upbringing, education, social standing and pride will probably make them attempt to pay their debt off, even though some of them will never be able to do so. And they are probably too proud to "do one" like any debt-ridden chav would. And even if a few banks do go to the wall, the mortgages still stand and will be bought up by a stronger bank for peanuts. A few hundred thousand middle earners heavily in debt will be a very nice earner in the long run - as student loans prove...

Can`t agree, the builders have got inventory on their hands, the banks have pushed their luck too far,In my opinion both are going to get badly burned. I am still paying off a student loan I took out 14 years ago. I dodged them for about 6 years and when they finally caught up( I still don`t know how they did) I whined and got to pay about £100 a month on a £5000+ loan interest free. this is not the position either of these types of business want to be in. It`s like giving the kids a freebie from your ice cream van and telling them to pay "next time"

* I agree some developers have cashed in , but if you want to milk the sheeple long term it has to be sustainable, and what we are witnessing now shows that the business models of the past ten years are not sustainable, indeed they are going to cause a backlash that makes marketing "lifestyle enhancing" assets very hard in the future.

Edited by dances with sheeple