House Price Crash Forum

My Very First Mortgage Reset Anecdote

HOLA441
HOLA442
Just like the people who took out 125% NRK mortgages. :lol:

Some MP's want the government to go easy on them as they supposedly took the mortgages on in 'good faith' when fixed rates where just over 5%. Surely they should have factored in the current rates of over 7%. Why should we bail them out. :angry:

I love the fact they are called Fixed Rates when most people only fix them for 2 years. Practically pointless!

HOLA443
HOLA444
not necessarily. rents in london are quite high and a 4 bed house can easily set you back almost double that in rent

Aye, sadly that's true. The yield on the property though is just 3.2%.

Even if the value halved, it would still be a struggle to make any money from it.

I'm not too worried about the right to paint a place. I think decorating is the job of the starving underclasses (ie. Landlords)

However, in these uncertain times, flexibility is all. One months notice and I'm out and ready to move anywhere. I don't think bomberman's friend has that escape route.

HOLA445
Guest absolutezero

A work colleague's mortgage is going to reset soon.

Don't know how much her mortgage is but it's going up by £250 a month. This is on a house that she bought for £100,000.

She's said she can't afford it.

Looks like she's fooked....

To be honest, I'd not have given her a mortgage. When she gets paid (£2000 a month take home) she's only less overdrawn than she was before payday.....

HOLA446
i believe for the same money you could stay at a pretty decent hotel

in this hotel you will pay no council tax of 50 week either, that you can spend on a nice couple of dinners

in this hotel you will get your own cleaner and bed linen changed

you will pay no heating bills at all , thats another few nice meals a month

your breakfast will be cooked for you to a nice standard

there will be no repair costs

and leaving is just as easy as heading to the reception

this is where i balance out the benifits of owning a home, when good hotels cost less with all the extras, that realy does show how over priced they realy are.

I've never thought of it that way before. :o

I bet a few people have realised it's better then having to deal with some amateur landlord too: no upfront deposit, no fear of being turfed out after 6 months etc.

HOLA447
A work colleague's mortgage is going to reset soon.

Don't know how much her mortgage is but it's going up by £250 a month. This is on a house that she bought for £100,000.

She's said she can't afford it.

Looks like she's fooked....

To be honest, I'd not have given her a mortgage. When she gets paid (£2000 a month take home) she's only less overdrawn than she was before payday.....

How is that possible? A £100k repayment mortgage would have been circa £600 per month.. (5% interest), it would have to go up to 9% interest to increase by £250. MEW, I guess..

HOLA448
Guest absolutezero
How is that possible? A £100k repayment mortgage would have been circa £600 per month.. (5% interest), it would have to go up to 9% interest to increase by £250. MEW, I guess..

Given her credit history I imagine she's not exactly a prime customer.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Hmmm, my mortgage outgoings were £2,272 a month (repayment) two years ago. But I did have 8 double bedrooms to choose from.

These resets are indeed the real story in the coming crash. Many will be able to cope with the increased expenditure BUT ONLY at the expense of cutting out on the pub, the spa, the shopping sprees and the holidays. This will cause a recession in itself leading to job losses and a spiral of forced sales and repossessions.

Its the forced sales and auctioned repos that force the sharp falls in house prices. We will see them this year for sure and 2009 will be horrific.

I want 10 bedrooms this time.

ANDY

HOLA4412
Hmmm, my mortgage outgoings were £2,272 a month (repayment) two years ago. But I did have 8 double bedrooms to choose from.

These resets are indeed the real story in the coming crash. Many will be able to cope with the increased expenditure BUT ONLY at the expense of cutting out on the pub, the spa, the shopping sprees and the holidays. This will cause a recession in itself leading to job losses and a spiral of forced sales and repossessions.

Its the forced sales and auctioned repos that force the sharp falls in house prices. We will see them this year for sure and 2009 will be horrific.

I want 10 bedrooms this time.

ANDY

this is a repo near to here i live. it's also been reduced from 155k (if i remember correctly). still hasn't sold. theres a house on the same road on the market for 190k.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-184...=1&tr_t=buy

HOLA4413
That's somewhere to sleep, eat, wash and watch telly?

£1600 a month. :blink:

No ... that's for somewhere to store the stuff you bought on credit card while you go out and work overtime and/or 2nd/3rd job to try to pay for it all.

Not much sleeping going on.

Eating = beans.

Wash ... possibly got the time

Watch telly .... no, but the 50" plasma is stored there. No time to WATCH it.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Now, see if that property was in Alverstoke or Portsmouth, that would be valued by £50 - 80k more.......... <_<

true, but you've got more chance of getting a half decent job in pompey than the IOW. goes to show though, even repos aren't selling here.

HOLA4416