House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gruffydd

Poles Head Home For Quality Of Life Reasons

One of my colleagues is Polish. He has been here for a couple of years, though he only started working with me last spring. We do the same job and we are on the same wage. He is leaving this Friday and heading back to his homeland - the reason? Quality of life and cost of living. He has found that the only way he can afford to live in the UK is by renting a room, and that's hardly a life really. Fortunately I live with my girlfriend who bought at the bottom in 1996 - next door is currently up for sale for four times what my GF paid for hers, and my GF's place is nicer! Of course what it sells for will be another matter. Anyway, I digress. My point is that if my GF and me were to split up I'd be condemned to renting a room just as my Polish friend was. No wonder the Poles are heading back. We might be stupid enough to pay through the nose to live in a cold, wet country where life's unavoidable requirements - shelter, energy and food - cost a small fortune, but the Poles clearly aren't.

One of my colleagues is Polish. He has been here for a couple of years, though he only started working with me last spring. We do the same job and we are on the same wage. He is leaving this Friday and heading back to his homeland - the reason? Quality of life and cost of living. He has found that the only way he can afford to live in the UK is by renting a room, and that's hardly a life really. Fortunately I live with my girlfriend who bought at the bottom in 1996 - next door is currently up for sale for four times what my GF paid for hers, and my GF's place is nicer! Of course what it sells for will be another matter. Anyway, I digress. My point is that if my GF and me were to split up I'd be condemned to renting a room just as my Polish friend was. No wonder the Poles are heading back. We might be stupid enough to pay through the nose to live in a cold, wet country where life's unavoidable requirements - shelter, energy and food - cost a small fortune, but the Poles clearly aren't.

why are you not entitled to a share of the equity in the house is it because you have a set of nuts?

would youre GF walk away with nothing if you owned the house ?

why are you not entitled to a share of the equity in the house is it because you have a set of nuts?

would youre GF walk away with nothing if you owned the house ?

Complicated situation.

She originally bought the house with someone else. He put down no deposit, she put down a huge deposit.

When they split he took half, despite not having put in half. She, consequently, has feared being fleeced by men ever since.

When we met she was on a much higher wage than me and I was on a very low wage, so the only way I could afford to live with her, instead of my parents, was for her to pay the mortgage and the bulk of the bills. I wanted to pay half of everything, but she refused to let me contribute to the mortgage because of the previous situation - she didn't want me to have a claim to *her* house.

She has since given-up her well-paid job because it was too stressful and while she still pays the mortgage of about £350/month I pay the lion's share of our overall outgoings - the bills amount to much more than the mortgage and I give her spending money too... but essentially there is no written record of me having done anything to have an entitlement to the property.

I think this bit's rather telling:

Maciek Imiolczyk, 23: 'It wasn't like I expected'

When Maciek Imiolczyk came to London at the beginning of last year he was expecting to stay for several years. "I thought I could make much more money there, and that it would be an easy life, but it wasn't like I expected," he says.

The 23-year-old from Krakow had a business degree, and hoped to find a well-paid job, but after struggling to find work, he eventually took a post as a receptionist in a hostel. "I couldn't find anything that paid more than the minimum wage, and it was really hard to live off that. I realised life in London was much tougher than I'd been led to believe."

After six months of work he became disillusioned and returned to Krakow. Now he works as a tour guide. "The work I do now is better paid, interesting, and my quality of life is infinitely better."

I think you will find it is more to do with the exchange rate.

When it was £1=6zt, then it was work it for a skilled Pole to do unskilled work here. Now that is is much less (£1=4.5zt or something?), then the financial gain becomes less attractive, and s/he can return home and make a living that is closer to the wage they had here for doing unskilled work.

Basic economics.