House Price Crash Forum

Barratt Says Housing Market Improves

HOLA441
The wimpey estate near me was next to a bryant estate with similar sized houses. The bryant was almost finishing just as the wimpey started. Bryant started with 4-5 bedrooms in the range 199,000 to 240,000 and finished with 240,000 to 305,000 ( with several still not sold and the last phase of the bryant has taken about a year to make 1/2 dozen houses compared to 70 in a year and a half).

I almost bought a bryant before deciding they were overpriced. When I talked to the wimpey girl in the "exclusive preview" weekend I was told prices would start at 280,000 for a 4bed with no garage. After I'd stopped laughing I was told they were hoping to get young families in small houses in the more exclusive areas of town to move to an average area to get the bigger house. Semis for detached is a no brainer is how they put it. Putting aside the minor issue of the areas they were talking about being desirable for the schools, the prices for semis topped out at 200k so anyone not there for several years would still be looking at one heck of a jump in monthly payments. Plus even if the kids were at school it would be quite a school run.

Wimpy have now been building for a year and none of the houses are ready. People were promised move in dates of last august which slipped to early 2008. ( the bad weather was blamed and seemed fair enough). There are 5 houses ( two look earmarked as showrooms) nearly ready but still fenced off. There are foundations for another dozen and all they seem interested in putting up is foundations. There should be 80 houses on the estate when its finished.

I noticed the other day that prices now start at 265,000 not 280,000 and many incentives are available including 300 quid a month towards your mortgage for 2 years.

Wonder what they are doing? Houses take 12 weeks to build on modern developments.

HOLA442
Basically people are popping in to see if they are reducing prices or giving more incentives/gifted deposits. When they find out that the deal is a bag of shite they bu99er off.

At least one lender has declared that "incentives" must be declared and will be subtracted from the builder's evaluation. Sorry, I can't be bothered to find one of my previous posts giving the details.

HOLA443
Wonder what they are doing? Houses take 12 weeks to build on modern developments.

I'm wondering if they've failed to sell any. The people we bought off told us they had one but seem to have moved to a different Bryant estate ( in a cheaper part of town). Either they've walked away from a large deposit, had it refunded for failure on wimpy's side or been lying toe rags :)

HOLA444

This may be true to a certain extent. I do work for a developer and they have got quite a few people putting down reservation deposits. The thing is the people still need to sell the house they are in and the houses just arent selling. I have more clients waiting for a purchaser for their house than those actually with a chain in place and proceeding.

Lots of reservations and interest means nothing until the chain is complete.

HOLA445
Basically people are popping in to see if they are reducing prices or giving more incentives/gifted deposits. When they find out that the deal is a bag of shite they bu99er off.

Exactly what I was thinking, sometimes you've gotta wonder if the sheeple really aren't "that" stupid after all...

HOLA446

Looks like the OP was wrong:

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/080227/214/hue3q.html

Wednesday February 27, 03:01 PM
Update:
Barratt and Kier gloomy on housing market
By Jamil Hussein
LONDON (ShareCast) - Housebuilders Barratt and Kier were gloomy on the housing sector, highlighting high interest rates and the squeeze on mortgage financing.

Upbeat this morning and gloomy this afternoon. Or maybe they considered their first statment could induce people to buy their stock and the "prospectus" was fraudulent as to the state of their business heading into the largest global crash in house prices for a century or more.

HOLA447
Guest The_Oldie
Looks like the OP was wrong:

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/080227/214/hue3q.html

Wednesday February 27, 03:01 PM
Update:
Barratt and Kier gloomy on housing market
By Jamil Hussein
LONDON (ShareCast) - Housebuilders Barratt and Kier were gloomy on the housing sector, highlighting high interest rates and the squeeze on mortgage financing.

Upbeat this morning and gloomy this afternoon. Or maybe they considered their first statment could induce people to buy their stock and the "prospectus" was fraudulent as to the state of their business heading into the largest global crash in house prices for a century or more.

They're between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, they want to encourage people to buy, by putting out press releases that all is well with the housing market. On the other hand, the want to encourage the BoE to cut rates, by saying the opposite ;).

HOLA448

Whenever I feel afraid

I hold my head erect

And whistle a happy tune

So no one will suspect

I'm afraid.

While shivering in my shoes

I strike a careless pose

And whistle a happy tune

And no one ever knows

I'm afraid.

The result of this deception