House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DataMonkey

Hbos Reports Drop In Profits

On BBC ticker, no link yet.

down 4%? i feel so sorry for them, does it mean the top brass and their fat rich shareholders can only afford 1 chelsea tractor and 1 w@nk pad in london?

The market really didn't like the detail of that report. From what I'm hearing they tried to put an overly positive spin (ie borderline lying) on some not very healthy figures and prospects. I just won't touch the banks until all of the bad news is out in the open, no matter how cheap they look.

Remember, the dividends which make these banks seem so attractive can be slashed if the bad news continues. I'm not recommending shorting, but trying to pick the bottom of the market will take a braver (or more foolish) man than me.

HBOS 649.00 -56.00 -7.94%

ALL & LEICS 566.50 -33.50 -5.58%

Not long now before the market decides enough and dumps what must be inevitable dogs of the FTSE.

Edited by Realistbear

I just want to know when the dividend will be added so I can get rid of my ISA with them.

It makes no odds, the day before the shares become ex rights the shares are notionally worth X, the next day barring any marginal effect and price moves the shares are priced at X-dividend.

Edited by OnlyMe

It makes no odds, the day before the shares become ex rights the shares are notionally worth X, the next day barring any marginal effect and price moves the shares are priced at X-dividend.

In English please Data? (OK, I am a Trekker)

The drop is outweighing any notional advantage of a dividend. I am wondering if we may start to see the banks see ssome heavy selling today in view of the R4 program dealing with the reality that the credit binge is over:

HBOS (LSE:HBOS.L)

Last Trade: 647.00 p

Trade Time: 9:26AM

Change: 58.00 (8.23%)

Prev Close: 705.00

Open: 681.00

Bid: 646.50

Ask: 647.00

1y Target Est: 876.71p

10% down is another in a strong of corrections. The big one could be around the corner when we see 20% plus drops in the major banks in a single trading session.

The market is selling HBOS just like hot cakes:

HBOS (LSE:HBOS.L)

Last Trade: 637.97 p

Trade Time: 9:51AM

Change: 67.03 (9.51%)

Bid: 637.50

Ask: 638.00

Not fare off the 10% "correction" level when it could go into freefall. :o

Guest The_Oldie

Last Trade: 634.50 p

Trade Time: 9:59AM

Change: Down 70.50 (10.00%)

Bid: 634.50

Ask: 635.50

The little I know of company reports is that any large changes in figures are significant. On page 75 it says:

In keeping with normal market practice, the Group enters into securities lending transactions and

repurchase agreements, whereby cash and securities are temporarily received or transferred as collateral.

Debt securities with a value of £13,707m (2006 £2,989m) were subject to agreement to repurchase, where

the transferee obtains the right to pledge or sell the asset they receive. Debt securities also include

securities pledged as collateral as part of securities lending transactions amounting to £11,918m (2006

£11,818m).

Anyone able to explain this variation and its implications?

p-o-p