HOLA441
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Just for the record, Vince Cable is my local MP and has stood on my doorstep discussing stuff with me on a couple of ocassions - and I have to say that generally I find ALL politicians self-serving scum, except Vince - he's a nice guy, seems very honest, knows humility and is passionate about what he believes in for the local people and the UK in general. It's a damn shame he won't get much further than where he's at - in opposition.

HOLA444
Just for the record, Vince Cable is my local MP and has stood on my doorstep discussing stuff with me on a couple of ocassions - and I have to say that generally I find ALL politicians self-serving scum, except Vince - he's a nice guy, seems very honest, knows humility and is passionate about what he believes in for the local people and the UK in general. It's a damn shame he won't get much further than where he's at - in opposition.

Not necessarily true! The Lib Dems often get 20 per cent at general elections - which is not bad for a country with a first past the post electoral system. Besides, there is a real possibility that there will be a hung parlaiment this time (just what this country needs if you ask me as we'll get proportional representation and EVERY vote will count!).

Vince for Chancellor!

HOLA445
d on my doorstep discussing stuff with me on a couple of ocassions - and I have to say that generally I find ALL politicians self-serving scum, except Vince - he's a nice guy, seems very honest, knows humility and is passionate about what he believes in for the local people and the UK in general.

What was he selling ?

Does he have a firm handshake with a suttle pump, does he look you in the eyes when he shakes, who had the upper hand ?

HOLA446
Not necessarily true! The Lib Dems often get 20 per cent at general elections - which is not bad for a country with a first past the post electoral system. Besides, there is a real possibility that there will be a hung parlaiment this time (just what this country needs if you ask me as we'll get proportional representation and EVERY vote will count!).

Vince for Chancellor!

You'll never get proportional representation. In the run up to the 1997 General Election the Lib Dems extracted a promise from New Labour that, if New Labour won, they would introduce PR. Needless to say, after a landslide, Labour reneged on its promise and told the Lib Dems to take a hike. Instead of making an issue of it, they just rolled over. It was pathetic.

HOLA447
You'll never get proportional representation. In the run up to the 1997 General Election the Lib Dems extracted a promise from New Labour that, if New Labour won, they would introduce PR. Needless to say, after a landslide, Labour reneged on its promise and told the Lib Dems to take a hike. Instead of making an issue of it, they just rolled over. It was pathetic.

Thanks for that you have just answered my previous question.

HOLA448
Jesus, there is a bit where he says there may be pressure from mortgage lenders ( :angry: ) for state support for mortgage payments! If it ever comes to this, then this government can f*ck off, because I am leaving immediately.

I wouldn't.

I would move my deposit from my government guaranteed savings account, to a house using a government guranteed mortgage should I decide that I didnt want to meet the repayments.

Simple.

HOLA449
Guest Charlie The Tramp

I love the PR we get electing The Mayor of London.

A complete joke when you analyse the votes cast.

You get 2 choices and if your choices are not in the top 2 candidates gaining the most votes, your votes are wasted.

For fair PR you need 2 Elections, the top 2 candidates stand again as first past the post and all electors if they wish can vote again.

If this system was adopted The Tsar of London would never have gained office and he knows it.

HOLA4410

I'm surprised to see such unqualified support for an article that includes the following proposals:

Third, there must be intervention to stop a vortex developing of repossession, subsequent homelessness and fire sales of property.

A key element in the arbitration process would be the availability of a part rent, part buy, option in which the bank acquires a share of the equity in lieu of full payment.

Both the above proposals are designed to keep the feckless in their homes and those homes off the market. Like it or not, that means fewer homes and higher prices for the prudent. He's looking at the wider good, of course, but it's hardly in the direct interests of those HPCers who are currently priced out and waiting for the opportunity to buy.

HOLA4411
I'm surprised to see such unqualified support for an article that includes the following proposals:

Both the above proposals are designed to keep the feckless in their homes and those homes off the market. Like it or not, that means fewer homes and higher prices for the prudent. He's looking at the wider good, of course, but it's hardly in the direct interests of those HPCers who are currently priced out and waiting for the opportunity to buy.

you are right -but i'd rather see the feckless/brainless in their homes where i can see them instead of roaming the streets mugging people from behind bushes