House Price Crash Forum

Bank Runs Like Northern Rock

Guest Charlie The Tramp

HOLA441
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Thousands of people could die from heart attacks if there was a widespread repetition of the crisis at Britain's Northern Rock bank, according to a study published by British researchers on Tuesday.

A team of sociologists at Cambridge University suggested that the stress of a system-wide banking crisis could lead to a 6.4-percent surge in heart attacks in high-income countries such as Britain and the United States.

In Britain, from 1,280 to 5,130 people could die if a significant number of banks suffered a meltdown and developing countries could also be hit hard. In India, heart attacks could increase by as much as 26 percent, they said.

Runs On Banks Can Be Detrimental To Your Health

Social epidemiologist David Stuckler, who led the research, said: "In the case of Northern Rock, we saw evidence of spreading panic in which the trust of ordinary customers in the financial system appeared to have completely eroded.

For the Gold Bugs. ;)

HOLA442

Have to admit, since STRing I am finding it no less stressful than when I was waiting to complete on selling the house. It is a BIG worry now and I am finding it impossible to spread my savigns around and keep under the 35K without opening accounts with 'dodgy' banks such as B&B, Abbey and then with those that have very poor IRs.

Think I need to stop coming to this site.

HOLA443
HOLA444

People in London do die early compared to the average, but this story about shock is as old as the hills.

Latest to be popular in the papers was.

http://www.nhs.uk/News/2007/January08/Page...kyourheart.aspx

“Men are three times more likely to have heart attacks on days when their national football team is playing in a major match,” The Daily Telegraph reported. The newspaper continued that a German study has discovered that during the 2006 World Cup, there were massive increases in the number of heart attacks and other coronary problems. The problems peaked during particularly exciting matches, such as those with penalty shoot-outs.

281_671529_football_fans_188x156.jpg

Edited by maxwell

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Have to admit, since STRing I am finding it no less stressful than when I was waiting to complete on selling the house. It is a BIG worry now and I am finding it impossible to spread my savigns around and keep under the 35K without opening accounts with 'dodgy' banks such as B&B, Abbey and then with those that have very poor IRs.

Hey, why not stick it in NS&I and go on holiday?

HOLA449

Then stick it all in the NSANDI or NR. I wouldn't even trust the 35k guarantee anyway - do you think you'll have continual access to your money in a crisis?

HOLA4410
Have to admit, since STRing I am finding it no less stressful than when I was waiting to complete on selling the house. It is a BIG worry now and I am finding it impossible to spread my savigns around and keep under the 35K without opening accounts with 'dodgy' banks...

You must be rich. I have a job lot of biscuit tins if you're interested. ;)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
It's scary isn't it? Loads of people with bank accounts have heart attacks every day .Who'd a thunk it? ;)

Lots of them just have the one.

My youngest brother had his first and last heart attack a few weeks ago.

Which brings home something we all KNOW but few of us REALISE. In Eastern religions there are references to events called Realizations. Which, literally, means 'to make real'.

We all KNOW we are going to die but few of us REALIZE it. We live our day to day lives as if we are going to live forever. We envisage a golden age in the future when the mortgage is paid off and we'll have the time and money to really enjoy ourselves. And, because of this delusion, we put up with the crippling unfairness of our society or try desperately to 'get on top'.

Look at what young people face today. Debts from university followed up by ludicrous amounts of debt, all their lives, just to have a roof over their heads. And they're told to start saving for a pension. And they'll carry the burder of paying our pensions too. Not only do they have to carry ludicrous debts so older people can downsize with 200k of younster's money in their pockets, but to add insult to injury, they'll be paying much higher taxation soon to pay my pension!

My only hope is that young people, collectively, one day REALIZE what is going on and take matters into their own hands.

Compulsory life termination will be talked about in the next 20 years.