House Price Crash Forum
Marek

First Time Buyers Option In London, A Bargain At 80k

Hilarious isn't it!!!

AAAAAARRRRGGGGHH!

I live in Crouch End. There is another garage for sale for £60K, much more square footage and better deco. The one you posted looks a bit 'in need of'. Then again it's in a great catchment area for schools... decisions decisions.

is it just me or is anyone else feeling violent?

It's not just in London.

This garage comes with planning permission, but it's Bungay is kind of getting on for the middle of nowhere. For £66,000

This detached garage has planning granted for an exciting one/two bedroom residential unit in the heart of Bungay town centre.

Grrr :(

Edit to add price.

Edited by waitingandsaving

I disagree on 'crouch end will flop', runforthehills I'm afraid. I think at its core it's inhabited by wealthy middle-class sorts who've been there for years, and is central enough to draw in people from the surrounding areas.

Maybe some of the little coffee shops or restaurants will close, I notice one of the Italians off the broadway has shutdown. Guess people are starting to eat at home more. But it's surrounded by Hornsey, Stroud Green, Harringey, Holloway, and all the young professionals who bought shit-holes in these areas need to shop at Prosperos Books to buy 'Debt Advice For Muppets', so the commercial premises will survive. And Eat More Daisys, because they do pancakes with syrup.

Ps., I was in that French patisserie place a few weeks back, and there was a Scottish TV presenter in (she's minor, and I cannot remember her name - kidz stuff from years back), but she was grumbling that her mortgage was going from £800 to £1200 and she'd have to move the payment date to juggle her income. I couldn't hear any more as I was distracted by the two mothers at the next table simultaneously breast feeding. The sights you see when you take a sickie on a Tuesday in Crouch End.

house for sale:

Ridge Road, Crouch End, London N8

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.a...p;agentid=05124

This garage / house is (34ft x 16ft) or 544 ft².

People in Hong Kong would pay circa $2 million (≈£130k) for space this size in a "Crouch End type" of area.

That leaves you around £40K to refurbish the place.

Just about "do-able".

Don't know whether to laugh or cry... :(

Also, I doubt a crash would be substantial here - villagey atmosphere (despite being a 15min walk from Finsbury Park :ph34r: ), very middle class / coffee shoppy - nice pubs (Kings Head etc..)

I lived there (Coleridge Road) when I first moved to London. Top floor conversion (wee Greek woman's house, who lived on the ground floor), so had my own small living room, seperate bedroom & kitchen. Shared a seperate WC & shower room with the couple who let a room on the first floor. £70 / wk back in 1996 (which I thought was, and still is, a bargain). Happy memories of the time, and would love to know what it would go for now.

I disagree on 'crouch end will flop', runforthehills I'm afraid. I think at its core it's inhabited by wealthy middle-class sorts who've been there for years, and is central enough to draw in people from the surrounding areas.

Maybe some of the little coffee shops or restaurants will close, I notice one of the Italians off the broadway has shutdown. Guess people are starting to eat at home more. But it's surrounded by Hornsey, Stroud Green, Harringey, Holloway, and all the young professionals who bought shit-holes in these areas need to shop at Prosperos Books to buy 'Debt Advice For Muppets', so the commercial premises will survive. And Eat More Daisys, because they do pancakes with syrup.

Ps., I was in that French patisserie place a few weeks back, and there was a Scottish TV presenter in (she's minor, and I cannot remember her name - kidz stuff from years back), but she was grumbling that her mortgage was going from £800 to £1200 and she'd have to move the payment date to juggle her income. I couldn't hear any more as I was distracted by the two mothers at the next table simultaneously breast feeding. The sights you see when you take a sickie on a Tuesday in Crouch End.

"prices won't crash in my area"

Don't people realise that many "wealthy middle-class sorts" will in fact be nothing of the sort during a housing crash/recession?

I guess the Vendor is MEW'd to the hilt and now out of desperation has to flog off the garage at the end of the garden to get another hit of hard cash so they can go out and hit the shops again.

It would have been better to carve up a bigger portion of the garden with that garage and get planning permission for a small house or bungalow. I cant see it selling in the present state.

Ah Foxtons - friend went to view a flat with them the other week but the posh and nice but dim EA was late. He apologised, saying some kids had thrown an egg through the window of his Mini as he was driving past and he'd had to clean it up. ROFL.

This has been discussed on the overpriced sh*tholes thread.

Actually, it's not too bad, when judged in relation to the current madness in London.

Assuming it's in good structural condition and has permission for residential use, I reckon for £20k you could convert it into a large studio or pokey one bed flat.

A one bed flat in Crouch End for £100k isn't too bad relatively speaking. Places like that in Muswell Hill go for twice that. You have to understand that in London, arty-liberal middle class people will fight tooth and nail in a titanic Darwinian struggle to live in places like Crouch End.

I reckon if you strip away the froth from Crouch End, it will become quite a hole in a recession.

The secondary state schools are appalling.

Anyone else live here. Waiting patiently for a miracle?

i live nearby, finsbury park, we are contemplating at the moment if we should move elsewhere in few months time after our first baby is born

i live nearby, finsbury park, we are contemplating at the moment if we should move elsewhere in few months time after our first baby is born

i hear there is great street entertainment outside the mosque there.

easy now! i have to agree with you about 'Debt Advice For Muppets'. we get leaflets from time to time from foxtons about possible rental income of £1000 for 1 bed places in finsbury park

i hear there is great street entertainment outside the mosque there.

sadly the nice clerick who used to complain that living in britain was like living in a toilet while claiming every possible benefit from social dept. is now gone hence the street entertainment stopped

It's not just in London.

This garage comes with planning permission, but it's Bungay is kind of getting on for the middle of nowhere. For £66,000

Grrr :(

Edit to add price.

Beccles and Bungay = Centre of the universe!

ST

crouch end is quite nice but it aint muswell hill.

That's true. It's not Muswell Hill. It has some good pubs and some great restaurants, quite a good nightlife and a centre that isn't overrun with Wood Green-ites at night.

yes, it's not Muswell Hill.

That's true. It's not Muswell Hill. It has some good pubs and some great restaurants, quite a good nightlife and a centre that isn't overrun with Wood Green-ites at night.

yes, it's not Muswell Hill.

You dug this one year old thread up for this enlightening response??? <_<:P