House Price Crash Forum
crash-and-burn

Au Revoir Mes Amis

I've been following this forum for at least two years now, and despite some of the occasional melodramas, I've found it extremely informative and educational. It's also been a source of solace when a majority of press readers (my own accountant included) laughed at the prospect that houses were due for a downturn (along with the economy in general). As a person with no head for figures of finances, it was simple commonsense and a little insight into the cyclic nature of markets that made it an inevitability in my eyes.

Anyway, as circumstances have taken the reigns on my future, I find myself emmigrating to Paris in a month's time. It's not that I want to live in Paris (albeit a beautiful city in my opinion), but a long-term relationship, alongside my flexibility in where I can work, is seeing me move into the heart of the city. I've spent the past few years of my life renting a small terraced house and saving well - I always thought I'd be a FTB in Britain once the madness subsided, but I will now be much more privileged in that I can live mortgage and rent free in a Paris apartment, effectively courtesy of my girlfriend's gran, who lives a few hours south of the capital.

Even with these changes in circumstance I will still follow the HPC forum. I'd like to see a correction here in Britain for all those screwed over by our ridiculous predicament, if not only for the sake of my younger siblings who scrape by with only pennies to spare, despite (or because of) a university education. One day I will be a first time buyer (possibly at the statistically age of 33 or 34 - still a few years left, but not many!), although possibly not here in the UK, so I won't be too free of having the mortgage noose around my neck - hopefully it won't be tied too tight by then.

I have realistic expectations about my transition and don't expect it to be a bed of roses, and I'm sure I'll have some pangs for the homeland, but not too many. I want to wish my fellow Brits at this forum all the best. May house prices continue to tumble along with anti-social behaviour (the latter may be impossible, but I've a feeling the former is a good step closer!).

À bientôt

Edited by crash-and-burn

I've been following this forum for at least two years now, and despite some of the occasional melodramas, I've found it extremely informative and educational. It's also been a source of solace when a majority of press readers (my own accountant included) laughed at the prospect that houses were due for a downturn (along with the economy in general). As a person with no head for figures of finances, it was simple commonsense and a little insight into the cyclic nature of markets that made it an inevitability in my eyes.

Anyway, as circumstances have taken the reigns on my future, I find myself emmigrating to Paris in a month's time. It's not that I want to live in Paris (albeit a beautiful city in my opinion), but a long-term relationship, alongside my flexibility in where I can work, is seeing me move into the heart of the city. I've spent the past few years of my life renting a small terraced house and saving well - I always thought I'd be a FTB in Britain once the madness subsided, but I will now be much more privileged in that I can live mortgage and rent free in a Paris apartment, effectively courtesy of my girlfriend's gran, who lives a few hours south of the capital.

Even with these changes in circumstance I will still follow the HPC forum. I'd like to see a correction here in Britain for all those screwed over by our ridiculous predicament, if not only for the sake of my younger siblings who scrape by with only pennies to spare, despite (or because of) a university education. One day I will be a first time buyer (possibly at the statistically age of 33 or 34 - still a few years left, but not many!), although possibly not here in the UK, so I won't be too free of having the mortgage noose around my neck - hopefully it won't be tied too tight by then.

I have realistic expectations about my transition and don't expect it to be a bed of roses, and I'm sure I'll have some pangs for the homeland, but not too many. I want to wish my fellow Brits at this forum all the best. May house prices continue to tumble along with anti-social behaviour (the latter may be impossible, but I've a feeling the former is a good step closer!).

À bientôt

Bonne Chance :-)

À bientôt

Jammy git - good luck.

Bonne Chance.

I'd love to live in Paris sometime, but a colleague suggests it wouldn't do my romantic self-destructive tendencies any good.

I highly recommend La Monge market on Rue Mouffetard by the way, it's where I've always stayed for the Tour De France.

Have fun.

Thanks all! It's nearly past my bed time, but stopped by and would like to thank you for the good wishes.

I'll be moving my own stuff (I only have a bedroom's worth of material to take (still a lot unfortunately! I collect junk) but the professional european removers want 1000 - 1300 pounds to do it (and I got 4 quotes). Seemed like a no brainer to do it myself (I'll eat those words when I've driving a large van round the Arc de Triomphe roundabout in a LWB van). I'm driving back to the UK to dump the van and am getting a flight from East Midlands back out to Paris. I don't like polluting (although I hate all this 'carbon-footprint' baloney), but the flight's £2.04 (£20 when you include tax and a debit card fee) - the airport's 10 miles from where I'm currently living in England; I can't see why I'd ever use Eurostar.

Like I say, I will check in from time to time. We have the Internet at the apartment - seems to be faster and cheaper than the service here in the UK, plus free calls to the UK any time of the day or night (thanks to Darty). I'll keep an eye peeled for La Monge market on Rue Mouffetard - haven't been there before. :)

Edited by crash-and-burn

. May house prices continue to tumble along with anti-social behaviour (the latter may be impossible, but I've a feeling the former is a good step closer!).

Les Miserables

Bonne chance !

Sometimes you've got to take risks and chances in life when the opportunity comes along.............

otherwise your just end up being pondlife , like the majority .

Guest Bart of Darkness
Before you go to Paris.

consider this statistic.

All the gold ever mined would easily fit under the Eiffel Tower. ;)

http://www.rdrop.com/~cary/html/bignums.html

20,000 million tons of gold discovered.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/401227.stm

Firstly, such a dramatic influx of metals to Earth could crash the global market for such commodities.

Anyhoo, back on topic. Good luck me old China and keep in touch. Don't they have t'internet over the channel?

*** "It's so pretty here...I guess that's why people come..."

Elizabeth was looking out the car window as we drove through rural Poitou, a region Southwest of Paris on the road, more or less, to Bordeaux.

"You know, people talk about something being 'only a matter of aesthetics,' as if it really doesn't matter what things look like. But it matters a lot, because it is part of our culture...of what we want...and what we care about. "

Driving along in rural France things look like they 'ought' to look. There are neat houses of stone, with shutters and woodpiles. There are open fields and hedgerows. You see stately oaks...fat cows...and well-tended gardens. There are no strip malls, almost no shopping plazas, few stop lights, and little traffic. It looks the way we think it should look, in other words...the way we want it to look.

"Remember our friend Isabelle, in Paris," Elizabeth went on. "She took a trip across the U.S. She said she was shocked to see such poor people - you know, she drove through some bad sections of town...and down through rural Mississippi. I explained to her that America is extremely varied. And that a lot of people who look very, very poor in America nevertheless will have a car, a TV and even air-conditioning.

"But she was appalled, and I can see why. In France, even poor people live in a way that seems...as the French say, "correct." Their houses are well maintained. They sit down for real meals. Out here in the country, they stack their wood up nicely and have these impeccably well kept vegetable gardens. They may not have any money at all, but they still live in a way that seems okay to us...we can imagine ourselves living that way. There's nothing shocking about it.

"Remember our friend Isabelle, in Paris," Elizabeth went on. "She took a trip across the U.S. She said she was shocked to see such poor people - you know, she drove through some bad sections of town...and down through rural Mississippi. I explained to her that America is extremely varied. And that a lot of people who look very, very poor in America nevertheless will have a car, a TV and even air-conditioning.

"But she was appalled, and I can see why. In France, even poor people live in a way that seems...as the French say, "correct." Their houses are well maintained. They sit down for real meals. Out here in the country, they stack their wood up nicely and have these impeccably well kept vegetable gardens. They may not have any money at all, but they still live in a way that seems okay to us...we can imagine ourselves living that way. There's nothing shocking about it.

Reading that, it's almost as if the Banlieues do not exist...

That encapsualtes a lot of what I love about France. OK some of the cities are certainly changing but it is still very true of the rural areas.

All the best, you lucky git. :lol:

Don't forget to keep your address in UK.

So you can claim benefits and use the NHS. <_<

You never know, you might want to come back.

I hope you were being ironic! Why would anyone with access to French health system dream of using the NHS!?

I thought HPC was global?

No need to "go away" anywhere. HPC will be there with you

Quite right! Paris is just a few miles down the train line. I moved to New Zealand a few months ago but still follow this site. The NZ market will crash just as all the others will. There's still a lot more denial in the press here than in the UK, though.

Paris is indeed a beautiful city. Having lived there for 9 months, 7 years ago, I can honestly say that it could be made so much more beautiful if they got rid of the Parisiens! (N.B. the rest of the French I came across were perfectly pleasant).

Watch out for the crote de chien!

As someone who's moved away all i can say is that it was one of the best things I've ever done and have no regrets.

As long as you have positive reasons for moving you'll be OK.

Couldn't go to France myself, I'm more of a Krautophile than a Francophile but best of luck.

Edited by barry