House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vespasian

Bring Back The Death Penalty

Yes I know it was headlines in the Daily Mail today, but FFS enough is enough!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7227830.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/7256402.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7254628.stm

Cold, premeditated murderers should be hung, until they are dead dead dead

We haven't enough room in the prisons either. Why waste taxpayers money keeping scum like this alive?

They could even be hung on pay per view, to raise money to cover their trial - I would fork out a tenner to watch Huntley drop

Guest Skint Academic

To me life isn't sacred. It's just biological process. But it's all we've got.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Interesting tally so far, 12 against, 4 in favour. Very much the opposite of what I might have expected.

Interesting tally so far, 12 against, 4 in favour. Very much the opposite of what I might have expected.

They mustn't have liked the pay per view suggestion - maybe just put it on ITV with ads for booze and cars

Whilst I agree it does seem appropriate for the worst type of killers this topic is now meaningless according to an expert on R5 live yesterday

He said that as it's an EU ruling we can't change it so can't bring back the death penalty. Also he says that life in prison does mean the perpetrator is having to look over their shoulder day after day as they tend to be 'marked individuals'

IMO if you have the death penalty certain people who kill may be more likely to kill again if necessary to stop themselves from being caught

Also Jury's may be less likely to convict

Maybe people on this forum realise that, despite our decent intentions at the beginning, state-execution means quite simply, the government killing people.

My biggest concern is that innocent people may be sentenced to death by mistake. With advances in DNA there is a reduced risk of this happening, but I`ve still got some reservations.

With an open-and-shut case, (e.g Levi `Subhuman Pikey Scum` Bellfield) I think a death sentence is the only sensible thing to do, if only from the view of not having to pay for the rest of his life inside. Even if the evil coward is executed, it won`t bring those poor girls back. What a hideous thing to do. :( I sure hope there`s a hell for him to go to once he`s dead.

life is sacred

no sanctity issues with death penalty- God ordained the death penalty for Ancient Israel

it seems to me that the people who disagree with "eye for eye, tooth for tooth" basis for justice and punishment need to come out and explain why their idea of justice falls short of this Biblical standard

life is sacred

no sanctity issues with death penalty- God ordained the death penalty for Ancient Israel

it seems to me that the people who disagree with "eye for eye, tooth for tooth" basis for justice and punishment need to come out and explain why their idea of justice falls short of this Biblical standard

On the subject of 'Biblical standard', do you think that everything that The Bible asserts, supports and condones should be used as a basis for our society today, then?

EDIT: I'm not really expecting a reply, because I've never received a reply from you whenever I've asked this question in the past. Perhaps the question is inconvenient to you. Anyway, despite not expecting one, it'd still be interesting to have your reply.

On the subject of 'Biblical standard', do you think that everything that The Bible asserts, supports and condones should be used as a basis for our society today, then?

EDIT: I'm not really expecting a reply, because I've never received a reply from you whenever I've asked this question in the past. Perhaps the question is inconvenient to you. Anyway, despite not expecting one, it'd still be interesting to have your reply.

we're not under the Law, we're under the New covenant through Christ

not everything we read in scripture is prescriptive, all needs to be taken in the appropriate and overall context

not everything we read in scripture is prescriptive, all needs to be taken in the appropriate and overall context

How do you know which bits of the scripture are prescriptive and which bits need a more generous dose of 'appropriate and overall context'? Is there some clue in scripture itself to indicate which bits are which?

How do you know which bits of the scripture are prescriptive and which bits need a more generous dose of 'appropriate and overall context'? Is there some clue in scripture itself to indicate which bits are which?

good question, could write a book in response because we'd need to go into specifics, the new covenant is not really a prescriptive legalistic set of rules, that was the old covenant

life is sacred

because as you so quietly pointed out we are under the new covenant through Christ

and forget about reading the new testament in context - YOU need to read it from start to finish FIRST before you can start putting anything in context. - as nowhere does it advocate muder in the new testament.

Scarlets, what offences would you support the death penalty for?

Would you class any of the following to be capital offences?

Homosexuality

Prostitution

Adultery

Divorce

Witchcraft

Sleeping with a woman and her mother (not necessarily at the same time)

Cursing your father and mother

Careless handling of a cow

Blasphemy

Working at the weekend

Guest muttley
Homosexuality

Prostitution

Adultery

Divorce

Witchcraft

Sleeping with a woman and her mother (not necessarily at the same time)

Cursing your father and mother

Careless handling of a cow

Blasphemy

Working at the weekend

Sounds like a Michael Barrymore party!

life is sacred

Because the bible does not always apply or what it says can be wrong for todays world?

A step towards freedom is not having to believe everything a centuries old book says and taking it all literally and trying to apply all it says to todays world

There are many who argue that the death penalty is not a deterrent

The worst killers should be put away for life and if that is the case they have then in effect forfeited their life in any case

I agree the worst killers should be executed but we would have to be certain - A dead person cant appeal if they have been wrongly convicted!

But having the death penalty in general may make some jury's less likely to convict as I said before

Because the bible does not always apply or what it says can be wrong for todays world?

A step towards freedom is not having to believe everything a centuries old book says and taking it all literally and trying to apply all it says to todays world

The worst killers should be put away for life and if that is the case they have then in effect forfeited their life in any case

I agree the worst killers should be executed but we would have to be certain - A dead person cant appeal if they have been wrongly convicted!

But having the death penalty in general may make some jury's less likely to convict as I said before

then if they are less likely to convict,surely it makes sense for THE JURY to decide if a person should get the ultimate sanction.

I am in favour of the death penalty,ONLY in a couple of checks and balances are there.

1)All DNA/lie detector evidence is withheld during the trial.

2)THE JURY find the defendant guilty unanimously..majority verdict gets a life term

3)DNA and polygraph tests confirm the verdict of the jury and are submitted post verdict.Then and only then can a capital sentence be administered by the judiciary.

....if sentence and trial are by magistrate/judge alone then Death aint an option.Too much scope for error.

the

3)DNA and polygraph tests confirm the verdict of the jury and are submitted post verdict.Then and only then can a capital sentence be administered by the judiciary.

If the DNA and PolyGraph test confirm guilt [verdict], why have a jury at all?

The whole idea is simply retarded.

If I was a killer and was done bang to rights there's no way I'd have the cojones to man up to rotting in jail till I croaked. I'd want out right there, BAMN.

It's the innocent ones (and they do exist,in our jails, right now) that don't want to die. Mainly because they want to prove their case, rather than fear of death, which is a bit overrated.

OK. All you psychos can have your state murders. With the proviso that should the deid yin subsequently be found not to have done it (stranger things have happened!) or if it 's "not proven", then the protection of Law should be removed from the members of the convicting jury, witnesses, lawyers etc. and all their family, in perpetuity (or until the innocent they caused to die comes back to life, whichever is the soonest).

Anyone who subsequently killed one of these people would not have committed any crime. Bearing of false witness and all that.

Sound fair?

(Since there's such a current of bloodlust on the forum at the minute, why don't all you vengeful ones whet your appetites on Luke Mitchell's appeal, which is going on up the High Street just now, and tell me why he must die, once you're across all the evidence. (If you can navigate this rather eccentric site which has a shedload of "facts" stuffed away on it)).

Guest Bart of Darkness
life is sacred

I should mention this to God sometime (The Flood, the last plague of Egypt [yaaay, child murder], Sodom and Gomorrah)

Sounds like a Michael Barrymore party!

:lol:

Perhaps we Use suspended animation on em indefinitely until evidence to the contrary comes to light. Wait a minute can we trust the future When they 'thaw' them out with a handsome compensation package and a celebratory magazine shoot in the year 2050 where nobody will care. Would crippen out rank fred west on the chat show circuit?

I hate humans

and forget about reading the new testament in context - YOU need to read it from start to finish FIRST before you can start putting anything in context. - as nowhere does it advocate muder in the new testament.

if you think capital punishment is the same as murder then you are either seriously misinformed or are a simpleton

I should mention this to God sometime (The Flood, the last plague of Egypt [yaaay, child murder], Sodom and Gomorrah)

he gave life so he can take it away as he sees fit

more nonsense ramblings