House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Its time to buy

12x Earnings Fears Of Losing A Generation

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/late...y_for_homes.php

Affordability is key for homes

By Melanie Vass

Comment

FEARS that Bournemouth will "lose a generation" if it doesn't create more affordable homes have prompted the council to draw up an ambitious action plan.

With the average house price in Bournemouth now approximately 12 times the average annual income, the new housing strategy aims to create an additional 400 affordable units a year between now and 2011.

Edited by notanewmember

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/late...y_for_homes.php

Affordability is key for homes

By Melanie Vass

Comment

FEARS that Bournemouth will "lose a generation" if it doesn't create more affordable homes have prompted the council to draw up an ambitious action plan.

With the average house price in Bournemouth now approximately 12 times the average annual income, the new housing strategy aims to create an additional 400 affordable units a year between now and 2011.

they are joking? 400 a year, thats nothing

the new housing strategy aims to create an additional 400 affordable units a year between now and 2011.

Talk is cheap ..........................actions speak louder than words .....................it's all b0llox :rolleyes:

One of the fellas in the office wanted to sell his victorian place to a developer for flats as his kids have left home. I think it's canford heights.

He was going to have one of the flats. I think the deal was for around 800k.

The builder kept him hanging on for about 8 months and then pulled out without submitting planning.

The reason, couldn't get funding. Now the new developers have offered 720k for the same site.

It's all getting a bit acrimonious.

Edited by linuxgeek

WHY HAS IT TAKEN 10 YEARS TO COME UP WITH THIS PLAN? LARGE BUILDING PROGRAMMES NOW THREATEN TO ROCK THE HOUSING MARKET EVEN MORE AND WORSE STILL BUILDERS ARE STARTING TO PULL OUR OF SUCH SCHEMES.

WHY DO OUR MANAGERS APPEAR UNABLE TO PLAN FOR THE FUTURE WE ARE ALWAYS FIRE FIGHTING.

WHY HAS IT TAKEN 10 YEARS TO COME UP WITH THIS PLAN? LARGE BUILDING PROGRAMMES NOW THREATEN TO ROCK THE HOUSING MARKET EVEN MORE AND WORSE STILL BUILDERS ARE STARTING TO PULL OUR OF SUCH SCHEMES.

WHY DO OUR MANAGERS APPEAR UNABLE TO PLAN FOR THE FUTURE WE ARE ALWAYS FIRE FIGHTING.

agreed, I think this is an inate part of the uk housing cycle - the planning system also cyclically follows at the same rate

it was covered in the Barker report - when she said slow planning constraints was a problem, it means, as I understand from some depth-reading, that it amplified cyclicality - e.g. if planning constraints had relaxed QUICKLY when the initial demand happened in the late 90s then the initial supply-limitation-fueled growth might have been ameliorated and less chance of a speculative bubble being kicked off.

the same happens on the downside - at the bottom of the cycle, planning regulations tighten up markedly, due to short-sited planners and government forgetting the boom 5 years ago, and stay tight thru most of the following boom (if demographics allows us to have another one)

they say 400 affordable units

not HOMES,

Units - to exist in

I think I'd need to drink about 400 units before I could be convinced that Bournemouth was a good place to live.....

All this creation of affordable homes is rubbish.

House prices are going to crash and burn. Houses will be VERY affordable in a few years. Fully automatic.

Wrong. They will be less unaffordable.

As soon as "the average house" is EASILY affordable, surely - unless there are suddenly loads more houses, spreading the demand, the that would imply prices going back up again?

Houses will never be THAT cheap. If they were, they would be snapped up.

Wrong. They will be less unaffordable.

As soon as "the average house" is EASILY affordable, surely - unless there are suddenly loads more houses, spreading the demand, the that would imply prices going back up again?

Houses will never be THAT cheap. If they were, they would be snapped up.

Not if they're going *down* in price they won't. Why pay the bank's high interest rate AND lose 20k a year on the asset price when you could rent for less than the interest alone? Buying in a falling market is "dead money", don't you know?

Thats assuming that you *can* move, if you have a touch of the old negative equities and a pile of debt so high you'll never clear that and the repayments.

Seen it before, not all that long ago. People forget that.

Interesting. I drove through the toilet known as Bournemouth on Saturday. The place with literally awash with for sale and to let signs.

Guest Bart of Darkness
I think I'd need to drink about 400 units before I could be convinced that Bournemouth was a good place to live.....

:lol:

The problem will sort itself out as GF says. Good thing too, otherwise we'd die of old age before our political masters came up with anything remotely coherent as a plan.

Not if they're going *down* in price they won't. Why pay the bank's high interest rate AND lose 20k a year on the asset price when you could rent for less than the interest alone? Buying in a falling market is "dead money", don't you know?

Thats assuming that you *can* move, if you have a touch of the old negative equities and a pile of debt so high you'll never clear that and the repayments.

Seen it before, not all that long ago. People forget that.

But they won't "go down" for ever, will they? At some point, prices will stabilise and begin climbing again.

I have seen it before, also.

And nice houses in a nice town like Bournemouth will never be so "cheap" that most people could buy one easily, especially people on lower incomes.

Saw this little gem yesterday...

Prince opens rural housing scheme

The Prince of Wales has opened an affordable rural housing development built on land owned by his estate.

The scheme at Springwell Hill in Bletchingdon, Oxfordshire, is on land set aside by the Duchy of Cornwall.

Clarence House said the aim of the scheme was to help meet the local need for affordable homes.

After meeting architects and builders involved in the project, Prince Charles met residents before stepping inside one of the homes.

He was then due to plant an Ash tree, before making a speech at the village hall.

The homes have been built by Oxford Citizens Housing Association and consists of 12 units - a mixture of flats and houses.

Source

:blink:

So we now accept the distinction between "affordable" and "unaffordable" housing...what a load of doublespeak BS. It's meaninless..affordable/unaffordable to who?..who decides this social division? Just give us reasonably priced homes for our families you useless bunch of *****. :blink:

Units...yes you will live in Units all gracefully donated by our unelected betters...aren't we all lucky!

Charles makes me want to puke, what does this person know of hardship or need? How gracious of him to loan *OUR* land back to us for somewhere for us to live..tug my forlock at him I do sire, thanks for not letting me starve your grace...*spit*

Isn't is about time we became a republic?...seeing as we are now a banana economy we may as well go the whole hog! :lol:

Because they are all VI Scum. The last thing all these limp dicks want is lots affordable housing because this would affect their imagined HPI wealth.

Because they are all VI Scum. The last thing all these limp dicks want is lots affordable housing because this would affect their imagined HPI wealth.

Indeed...they only way you can have a rich class in a society is to ensure that at least one (majority) group stays poor and socially dependant on thier "masters".